DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I made a batch of that just about 10 wks. ago. We call it Tropical Blood. It is great and a nice change from the original. It was the 2nd time I made it. I also tossed in a couple cans of frozen Welches 100% White Grape Juice in the fermenter. An idea I got from someone on here last year. I'm getting ready to start another batch of the Tropical next week cause we only have about a have dozen left. I just can't seem to make this Dragon Blood fast enough.

Will

Do you use lemon juice or did you switch to orange or pineapple? I have read where some people switch to another juice somewhere on the thread for this blend. I'm planning to try this one myself soon!

Do you use lemon juice or did you switch to orange or pineapple? I have read where some people switch to another juice somewhere on the thread for this blend. I'm planning to try this one myself soon!

The first batch I made, I used pineapple juice as the base and, to me, it was too much...all I tasted was pineapple in the finished product. So the second time, I just stuck with the lemon juice and I liked it much better. Just my personal taste though!

Starting our next batch of DB tonight. It's going to be a Strawberry,Blueberry,Pomegranate mix. Looking forward to it. As the past 3 batches have been a success. Also will be starting a Strawberry Tart in the coming weeks. Along with a Blackberry.

Yes just lemon juice for the Tropical blend. 30-32 oz. depending on what brand I pick up.

Will

Last edited:
Finished My first batch of Dragons Blood!! Hell, it is my first attempt at making any kind of wine and omg it is delicious!!! Thanks Dave and everyone else who contributed to this forum giving me enough info to make this a success.

Your bottle is stunning!! So glad you love it! It the bottle vintage?

I started my mixed fruit DB today. 6 gallon recipe with 12# of fruit. When I got to the pectic enzyme I only had 2 3/4 teasp. instead of the 3 teasp. needed per recipe. Am I okay or should I head to the wine making store tomorrow? If I do need to add the addition pec. en. can it wait 1 more day and should I hold off adding the yeast until I get it. I used 12# of mixed fruit containing strawberry, peach, pineapple and mango. Also a pound of golden raisins and 4 small bananas.
Mary Lou

I started my mixed fruit DB today. 6 gallon recipe with 12# of fruit. When I got to the pectic enzyme I only had 2 3/4 teasp. instead of the 3 teasp. needed per recipe. Am I okay or should I head to the wine making store tomorrow? If I do need to add the addition pec. en. can it wait 1 more day and should I hold off adding the yeast until I get it. I used 12# of mixed fruit containing strawberry, peach, pineapple and mango. Also a pound of golden raisins and 4 small bananas.
Mary Lou

I would say you are fine with the 2 3/4 tsp. peptic enzyme. You can always add more in a day or two if you wish.

Will

Mary Lou

In my opinion, I would add another teaspoon or so at some point in the process but you don't have to rush. My reason for saying so is that you are using more fruit than the original recipe calls for and because peaches, strawberries and mangos can all be harder to clear than straight up berries.

The first batch I made, I used pineapple juice as the base and, to me, it was too much...all I tasted was pineapple in the finished product. So the second time, I just stuck with the lemon juice and I liked it much better. Just my personal taste though!

I agree, I used lemon juice with my also.:br

Mark

First blood…a black, blue, raz, and strawberry mix….

thumb2_very-berry_sm-2532.jpg

This is my first DB, and only 2nd batch of wine ever…after that first batch, I was kind of doubting that winemaking was really the hobby for me…but my faith and excitement has been fully restored after making this DB…I am sure I will make more kits in the future, but I really enjoyed making this wine more “from scratch”…plus, I always figured fruit wine is where my main interest would lie….

A big thanks to Dave, Lon, and everyone who has contributed to this ongoing, and hopefully never ending, thread! Can’t wait to start my next batch….maybe something tropical….

In my opinion, I would add another teaspoon or so at some point in the process but you don't have to rush. My reason for saying so is that you are using more fruit than the original recipe calls for and because peaches, strawberries and mangos can all be harder to clear than straight up berries.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely do that. I pitched the yeast yesterday. When I stirred and squeezed it today I tasted it and it has a really nice fruity taste. I'm excited.

Mary Lou

My sg was at 1.045 this morning, down from 1.080 starting sg on Saturday. The bag of fruit I started with is down considerably from the whole berries I started with. It looks and feels like the blueberries are still relatively in tact. Is it normal for the raspberries and black berries to turn to basically mush?

Last edited:
My sg was at 1.045 this morning, down from 1.080 starting sg on Saturday. The bag of fruit I started with is down considerably from the whole berries I started with. It looks and feels like the blueberries are still relatively in tact. Is it normal for the raspberries and black berries to turn to basically mush?

I haven't made the dragon's blood but based on making strawberry wine with whole berries they pretty much turn to mush as well. I would think this would be expected with raspberries and blackberries.

By the time mine was done, all I had was a bag of what felt like seeds and skins. Everything else was gone! I squeezed daily.

When I have blueberries in the mix, I try to "pop" them when I do my daily squeezing! But yes, it is normal for you to have mush or a bag of seeds and skins by the time you are done.

Agreed, the blueberries can be tougher so I try to pop them after a few days when squeezing the bag as well. At the end, fruit mush puree :)

Is 82 degree must too high. Today is day 3 and the temp is up to 82. I put a bag of ice in it to bring the temp down. Did I panic? My other 2 batches stayed in the low to mid 70s the whole time.

Latest posts

Back