DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I didn't know if Dave had tweaked it again

My guess is that Dave would keep that post updated. Must admit though that I downloaded and printed the PDF file some time ago, to reference while making my DB, and haven't checked to see if my hard copy is up to date. I'll try to remember to check for recipe changes next DB batch.

I used a 12 oz can of mixed berry frozen juice concentrate per 2 gallons of wine. Someone else on here had done the same so I tried it on 1 gallon first to see how I liked it. It didn't cloud my wine at all and I was very pleased with the added flavor and aroma. It wasn't a lot but enough for me to add it to more of the batch.

I saw that same OP and was planning on doing the same thing to my first batch of DB (2nd batch of wine ever)…glad to hear another favorable report…

Quick question: did adding this concentrate alter the amount of sugar you planned or ended up adding? I would assume adding the concentrate would add some sweetness as well as favor/aroma?

My first ever batch of Dave's Dragon Blood was racked to a 6 gallon carboy on 3/27/2015 after fermenting to .993. Unfortunately I got some of the gross lees over into the carboy as well, I don't think I need to worry about that...right? Anyhow I am ready to rack again, I think, and add sugar. My problem is I only have one carboy.

1. Do I rack it to my bucket?
  • -Bottling from a bucket would make it hard to see any lees
  • -Is there too much air space to let the wine sit in my 7 gallon bucket for a week or more before bottling?

2. Rack it to the bucket, add sugar, than rack it back to the carboy?
  • -This method would allow me to see what I am doing while bottling
  • -Is there any danger here of racking too many times?

My first ever batch of Dave's Dragon Blood was racked to a 6 gallon carboy on 3/27/2015 after fermenting to .993. Unfortunately I got some of the gross lees over into the carboy as well, I don't think I need to worry about that...right? Anyhow I am ready to rack again, I think, and add sugar. My problem is I only have one carboy.

• -Is there too much air space to let the wine sit in my 7 gallon bucket for a week or more before bottling?

Rack to the primary bucket, if need be, clean out your carboy then get it back in there so you can add clearing agent, kmeta, etc.
When clear, add sorbate and sugar.

thanks for the quick reply. I added the k-meta, sorbate and sparkaloid at the first racking. Just wanted to check in with the experts.

I saw that same OP and was planning on doing the same thing to my first batch of DB (2nd batch of wine ever)…glad to hear another favorable report…

Quick question: did adding this concentrate alter the amount of sugar you planned or ended up adding? I would assume adding the concentrate would add some sweetness as well as favor/aroma?

I had already added 3/4 cup sugar per gallon and it did add a slight amount of extra sweetness but it wasn't too much. I do like sweet wines though! With the 3/4 cup sugar the wine still had some tartness from the lemon juice and the extra sweetness seemed to reduce the tartness.

I usually rack to the primary bucket, add everything, and then back to the "cleaned" carboy. I have found this helps degass the wine also (those tiny bubble coming from the bottom).:r

Mark

I just need someone to quickly review my calculations, please!

I'm converting this recipe into a 1 gallon one, are my conversions right?

-1 bottle of lemon juice 48oz (Do i still use the whole bottle?)
- The recipe says "Water to about four gallons" what do i do here in my case?
-3.3 cups of sugar 1.075 SG
-1 tsp of tanin
-3 tsp yeast nutrient (I add just 1 tsp right?)
-1 tsp yeast energizer
-1/2 tsp of pectic enzyme
-He states "Top water to six (6) gallons* and stir well" So in my case i would top it off with till i reach 1 gallon right?
-1 lb of Triple Berry Blend
-1 packet of yeast

-1 tsp of tanin
-1 tsp yeast energizer
-He states "Top water to six (6) gallons* and stir well" So in my case i would top it off with till i reach 1 gallon right?
-1 packet of yeast

I would use about a 1/4 of the bottle of lemon juice or less probably less

-1 tsp of tanin
-1 tsp yeast energizer
-1 packet of yeast

I have to ask, why are you looking to only make a 1 gallon batch? Is it due to lack of a larger carboy? And are you still going to do the primary fermentation in a bucket? If not, how are you planning on squeezing the fruit/fruit bag?

If you are fermenting in a 1 gallon carboy with the fruit in there, I would think you would have to leave a good amount of headspace for the foam or use a blow off tube. And the loss of wine from the lees, fruit, and foam would leave you with at most 4 750ml bottles? Probably closer to 3 or 3.5.

If I were to do a smaller batch on a budget, I would cut the original recipe in half for a three gallon batch. Do the primary fermentation in a 5 gallon icing bucket (apparently bakeries give them away for free if you ask nicely), and secondary in three one gallon carboys if that is what you have. That way you still get at least 12 bottles of wine for your troubles.

Last edited:

-1 tsp of tanin
-1 tsp yeast energizer
-1 packet of yeast

8oz of lemon juice
Water to 1 gal.+
Use your hydrometer and add enough sugar to get SG to 1.075-1.080
1 tsp. nutrient
Use 1-1.5lb. Triple Berry Blend(more fruit, more flavor)

Basically, you cut/divide the recipe by 6, or use the manufacture recommendation for the chemicals..............except for yeast, use the full packet.

-1 tsp of tanin

-1 tsp yeast energizer

-1 packet of yeast

Don't waste your time! Find what you need to mix at least 5 gallons.
My first "Skeeter Pee" was a half batch, and it gone in 2 weeks!
I'm now making no less than 10 gallons at a time when doing DB, because it disappears so fast!

It is worth your time to upscale now. If not, you like so many others, will wonder why you did such a small batch.

Mark

I have to ask, why are you looking to only make a 1 gallon batch? Is it due to lack of a larger carboy? And are you still going to do the primary fermentation in a bucket? If not, how are you planning on squeezing the fruit/fruit bag?

If you are fermenting in a 1 gallon carboy with the fruit in there, I would think you would have to leave a good amount of headspace for the foam or use a blow off tube. And the loss of wine from the lees, fruit, and foam would leave you with at most 4 750ml bottles? Probably closer to 3 or 3.5.

If I were to do a smaller batch on a budget, I would cut the original recipe in half for a three gallon batch. Do the primary fermentation in a 5 gallon icing bucket (apparently bakeries give them away for free if you ask nicely), and secondary in three one gallon carboys if that is what you have. That way you still get at least 12 bottles of wine for your troubles.

I'm making a gallon batch because i'm new to this, i don't want to mess up 6 gallons as opposed to 1 gallon, saves money and time. I just want to get a feel for winemaking then i'll move up to a bigger quantity. ;)

I have a 2HDPE bucket which i'll use as a primary then i'll rack it on to my secondary which is a carboy.

And besides i drink by myself and in small quantities. As long as i get at least 2-3 bottles from this i'm set for about 3-6 months.

8oz of lemon juice
Water to 1 gal.+
Use your hydrometer and add enough sugar to get SG to 1.075-1.080
1 tsp. nutrient
Use 1-1.5lb. Triple Berry Blend(more fruit, more flavor)

Basically, you cut/divide the recipe by 6, or use the manufacture recommendation for the chemicals..............except for yeast, use the full packet.

Thanks, i'll take your word for it!
Can not wait to try it out.
Hey, i don't have tannin, is it really needed? I know it's to dry, and to add bitterness to the wine but can i go without it?

I'm making a gallon batch because i'm new to this, i don't want to mess up 6 gallons as opposed to 1 gallon, saves money and time. I just want to get a feel for winemaking then i'll move up to a bigger quantity. ;)

I have a 2HDPE bucket which i'll use as a primary then i'll rack it on to my secondary which is a carboy.

And besides i drink by myself and in small quantities. As long as i get at least 2-3 bottles from this i'm set for about 3-6 months.

Great, the primary fermentation part and squeezing the fruit bag was what I was concerned about. If you can ferment in a bucket, you are good to go. Regarding tannin, from what I understand it help with mouthfeels and flavor. It is not very expensive, so if you have an LHBS nearby you can pick up a small packet of it, or get a 1oz. packet off Amazon for $6.91 shipped. That would last you for probably 20 - 30 gallons of DB.

I am not a big wine drinker, brew beer mostly, but I love some chilled DB on a hot day. Or a hot night. Or a cold night with the heater on... Okay, I just love the stuff altogether, LOL.

Great, the primary fermentation part and squeezing the fruit bag was what I was concerned about. If you can ferment in a bucket, you are good to go. Regarding tannin, from what I understand it help with mouthfeels and flavor. It is not very expensive, so if you have an LHBS nearby you can pick up a small packet of it, or get a 1oz. packet off Amazon for $6.91 shipped. That would last you for probably 20 - 30 gallons of DB.

I am not a big wine drinker, brew beer mostly, but I love some chilled DB on a hot day. Or a hot night. Or a cold night with the heater on... Okay, I just love the stuff altogether, LOL.

I was going to go today to my local shop but it's near closing time, i'll try tomorrow, if they have any!
Nice, i didn't know such a small quantity lasted so long, that's great!

Ah, that sounds so good!!!! Haha! Looking at the reviews, who doesn't love this recipe!
How is the taste of this DB is it strong or is the type that varies on how much sugar you want to add?

Latest posts

Back