DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry for the confusion...

With DB I do not! DB, mine anyways, gets bottled and consumed way to fast to be concerned with adding more k-meta. With my kits I will add and stir in an extra 1/4 tsp k-meta just before bottling.

So I have a Chocolate Strawberry wine that I started in August. I added k-meta at the end of fermentation and have also added it at one of the rackings (with the chocolate sediment dropping out, the Jack Keller recipe called for racking every couple months). If this were your wine, would you add more at bottling then?

I add 1 pound of raisins, 2-3 bananas (frozen, then thawed) and a handful of oak chips to every batch of DB. I'm not a wine expert by any stretch of the imagination so I couldn't tell you if my batches have more body because of these additions...all I know is that they are great and everyone loves them :)

Are these just "regular" raisins, or golden raisin? Does it make any difference, that you are aware of?

So I have a Chocolate Strawberry wine that I started in August. I added k-meta at the end of fermentation and have also added it at one of the rackings (with the chocolate sediment dropping out, the Jack Keller recipe called for racking every couple months). If this were your wine, would you add more at bottling then?

What D.J. posted above in answer to your question AND if the wine, some of it at least, was going to hang around for maybe 6 month or more - then, yes I would add 1/4 tsp for 6 gallons at bottling.

I add 1 pound of raisins, 2-3 bananas (frozen, then thawed) and a handful of oak chips to every batch of DB. I'm not a wine expert by any stretch of the imagination so I couldn't tell you if my batches have more body because of these additions...all I know is that they are great and everyone loves them :)

Some use the addition of bananas to add body to their thin wines. I've done it several times, using 2 sliced bananas in secondary, but never in a controlled test (e.g. same batch some with some without) so really don't know if it makes a big difference.

http://winemakermag.com/393-i-ve-read-you-can-use-bananas-to-give-body-to-thin-wines-can-you-please-explain-why-this-works-and-any-impact-on-flavor

Thanks for that guys! Just so happened I had a few over rippened bananas on the counter. So I added 3 peeled chopped & mushed up to each of 2 different batches I started last weekend. (I didn't bother freezing them first though...)
They are both sitting at 15 Brix right now (started them at 18.6) so they are in very active fermentation... and added 160 gr of raisins to each. (cuz that's all I had on hand) Looking forward to the results

How about brown sugar? I recall reading somewhere that some people add it to beer to add some body. I imagine the same could be done with wine right? I so is it a 1 to 1 ratio compare to table sugar?
I'll try substituting about 1/3 of the white with brown sugar for my next batch and see what that does...

Last edited:
Are these just "regular" raisins, or golden raisin? Does it make any difference, that you are aware of?

I usually just use regular raisins because that's what I can get cheaply at Costco. I did have a recipe that called for using golden ones once though. I think the main difference would be (maybe?) the color it could add to your wine.

Thanks for that guys! Just so happened I had a few over rippened bananas on the counter. So I added 3 peeled chopped & mushed up to each of 2 different batches I started last weekend. (I didn't bother freezing them first though...)
They are both sitting at 15 Brix right now (started them at 18.6) so they are in very active fermentation... and added 160 gr of raisins to each. (cuz that's all I had on hand) Looking forward to the results

How about brown sugar? I recall reading somewhere that some people add it to beer to add some body. I imagine the same could be done with wine right? I so is it a 1 to 1 ratio compare to table sugar?
I'll try substituting about 1/3 of the white with brown sugar for my next batch and see what that does...

I don't know about adding brown sugar. I think it would give your wine a very different flavor so if it were me, I would be cautious. It can compliment a beer because you might expect caramel type flavors with the malt but again, I don't know in wine. I suppose it would depend on the fruit you were using.

I've never used brown sugar either, although I've seen people who have. Not sure who it was...

I usually use red (dark) raisins when adding them to either a red wine or Dragon Blood. I commonly use golden raisins in my white wines with good results. I don't think you can go wrong with them. I need to try some golden rainins in my DB for comparison.

When just wanting to add body to wine I prefer 100% white grape juice concentrate. It's cheaper than raisins and doesn't add any flavor to the wine like raisins and bananas.

I usually use 1 can frozen per gallon.

Mark

Started my first batch of DB a week ago yesterday(Friday, March 13). Since this is my first, I'm following the directions as written. My original SG was 1.082. Temp was 72*F. I used EC 1118 yeast.

I noticed that it seems to ferment differently than my kit or grape wines. There was not as much foaming, just a lot of sizzling and bubbling through the bag of berries. I took a SG reading yesterday and found it at 0.992. Wow! That was quick! I decided to let the sediment settle through today and I'll rack, stabilize and begin clearing tomorrow.

I'm happy about how this is looking and eager to taste the final result! :HB

For those of you that filter your wine, what size filters do you use with you DB? I got a filter for my birthday and thought I would try it on my DB.

When just wanting to add body to wine I prefer 100% white grape juice concentrate. It's cheaper than raisins and doesn't add any flavor to the wine like raisins and bananas.

I usually use 1 can frozen per gallon.

Mark

I have been adding white grape juice concentrate to the Island Mist kits that I am making to up the ABV, but I guess I didn't realize that it helps with body as well :)

Broken Hydro…

2nd batch of wine ever, 1st DB…

Slight modification to original BD recipe: only 32 oz of Lemon Juice and 10.5 lbs of fruit….Starting SC 1.74…everything seemed to be proceeding nicely…Primary is bucket with just a loose lid, no airlock possible….

Last reading I have is Day 6 (Friday, 3/20), @ 1.030…was unable to get to it Day 7, and on Day 8 (Sunday night, 3/22) broke my hydro just prior to reading…

Now it’s Monday morning on Day 9, and I am trying not to freak out….

Have ordered a new Hydro, but the soonest I will arrive it Wednesday…

I have to be nearing or in “Step 4: When the SG drops to <1.000”…right???

I am not sure what I should do…do I hold tight until I get my new hydro, and if I do, do I still confirm a stable SC for three days? Or should rack it now and get it under a lock? Or what should I do?

Any advice or reassurance would be greatly appreciated…

(Hope this ok to post here, debated here or Beginners forum)

Broken Hydro…

Slight modification to original BD recipe: only 32 oz of Lemon Juice and 10.5 lbs of fruit….Starting SC 1.74…everything seemed to be proceeding nicely…Primary is bucket with just a loose lid, no airlock possible….

Last reading I have is Day 6 (Friday, 3/20), @ 1.030…was unable to get to it Day 7, and on Day 8 (Sunday night, 3/22) broke my hydro just prior to reading…

I am not sure what I should do…do I hold tight until I get my new hydro, and if I do, do I still confirm a stable SC for three days? Or should rack it now and get it under a lock? Or what should I do?

I agree with gaboy...just leave it in the primary until your new hydrometer comes and rack right away if it has fermented dry.

P.S. Be sure to check calibration on your new hydrometer. My last couple have not been quite right so I have to adjust my readings.

Last edited:
Broken Hydro…

Personally I would pull the fruit out after giving it one last squeeze. I'd then lock it down and wait about a week to take the next reading with the new hydrometer. If I got 0.998 or lower I'd move on to the next phase.

Wouldn't it be nice if we could get a near unbreakable plastic hydrometer? :db

Broken Hydro…

Relax you will be just fine. A few extra days here and there will not hurt a bit. Take your time and just follow Dave's recipe and you will love this wine. I like to think of it as being very healthy too.
I also use about 30oz of lemon juice in my batches.

Will

Latest posts

Back