DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DB Batch #7 just went to an SG .990 yesterday and it was day 10. That has been pretty normal for my batches be it DB or a Kit Wine. I will be racking this new batch this Wed. I always give it 3 days at an SG of .990 before 1st racking as per Danger Dave's recipe.

Will

Last edited:
DB Batch #7 just went to an SG .990 yesterday and it was day 10. That has been pretty normal for my batches be it DB or a Kit Wine. I will be racking this new batch this Wed. I always give it 3 days at an SG of .990 before 1st racking as per Danger Dave's recipe.

Will

Maybe Dave or someone else can answer this question: Is it necessary to give it 3 days before racking if the SG is .990? I generally do wait if the SG is anything above that, but I thought .990 was as low as it goes so it would be fermented out and you should be safe...or is this a newbie assumption?

Maybe Dave or someone else can answer this question: Is it necessary to give it 3 days before racking if the SG is .990? I generally do wait if the SG is anything above that, but I thought .990 was as low as it goes so it would be fermented out and you should be safe...or is this a newbie assumption?

I'd have no qualms about racking and then stabilizing, according to the DB recipe/instruction, with that SG.

I think I specify in the recipe to wait three days after it falls below SG 1.000. That gives it time to finsh out, probably somewhere in the 0.990 range. If it's already 0.990, then it's not going anywhere, and you're good to proceed. I try to err on the side of caution for the new wine makers. The rest of you can fiddle as you see fit.

Better to avoid bottle bombs. :slp

Getting ready to start a peach DB. I have maybe 16 or 17 lbs destoned cutup and frozen peaches and was wondering about how the lemon juice would taste with the peaches. I was thinking of using some pineapple juice in place of the lemon and some of the water. Any thoughts ? My first batch of original DB I used 32 oz and backsweetened with 3 3/4 cups sugar. Liked it very much. Second DB was 7 1/2 lbs straight blackberry with 3 3/4 cups sugar. Only used 24 oz lemon in that one and it was even better. Helped my lovely wife make a batch with 4 gallon ziplocks of concord grapes and 24 oz lemon. She liked it dry so we left it that way. Just a little time in the bottle and I think it will be a winner also ! I was afraid of overpowering the peaches since I only have a small amount.

I just wanted to chime in with a little variacion that I've been working with.

First I make the ORIGINAL version of lemon skeeter pee. Then when cleared and stabilized and back sweetened I put it into my beer kegerator. There I force carbonate it, which BTW, is unbelievable on its own. After carbonating I then put 3 ounces of quality silver tequila in a champagne bottle. Then fill the bottle the rest of the way with the lemon pee.

My original idea was to make a "Margarita Pee" but I've been told by freinds that it tastes like a Snakebite.

Be forewarned it packs a huge punch:d

Getting ready to start a peach DB. I have maybe 16 or 17 lbs destoned cutup and frozen peaches and was wondering about how the lemon juice would taste with the peaches. I was thinking of using some pineapple juice in place of the lemon and some of the water. Any thoughts ? My first batch of original DB I used 32 oz and backsweetened with 3 3/4 cups sugar. Liked it very much. Second DB was 7 1/2 lbs straight blackberry with 3 3/4 cups sugar. Only used 24 oz lemon in that one and it was even better. Helped my lovely wife make a batch with 4 gallon ziplocks of concord grapes and 24 oz lemon. She liked it dry so we left it that way. Just a little time in the bottle and I think it will be a winner also ! I was afraid of overpowering the peaches since I only have a small amount.

Posted further up on my Lemon Peach DB wine. I used 14 pounds of peaches but if I were to do it again I'd use ~20. Used 48 oz. of lemon juice but would likely cut that in half next time. With that said, none the less, I'm getting favorable feedback on my Dragon PEAch wine. A little more peach flavor and aroma and a little less lemon taste is what I'll shoot for next batch. [Back sweetened with 4.5 cups of sugar.]

I used pineapple in place of the lemon in my first tropical DB (the recipe I found called for two 48 oz cans) and pineapple is now the main flavor character...so I will not do that again! So I would just be careful with the amount you use.

I just started a straight blackberry the other day :) Trying different fruit variations is one of the things that makes this recipe so much fun...and the fact that every batch has turned out great so far is what keeps me making carboy after carboy.

Thanks for the help. I may just stick with the lemon juice and cut it way back. I was afraid the pineapple would be too overpowering from other posts I have read ! Love the DB ! Thanks Dave ! I've gotten a buddy of mine started making his first batch also.

Bill I was wondering. Did you squeeze your bags of peaches or just let them drain ? Have read both methods. I squeeze all other fruit but wasn't sure about something like peaches that will throw so much lees. Thanks, Mark

Bill I was wondering. Did you squeeze your bags of peaches or just let them drain ? Have read both methods. I squeeze all other fruit but wasn't sure about something like peaches that will throw so much lees. Thanks, Mark

Squeezed just like with the berries. I think that next time with the peaches I'll not bottle as soon to allow more time for sediment to settle. Appears I was a bit hasty to let things fully settle and as a result have some sediment in the bottled wine. Never happened with the 3-4 berry batches of DB I had done prior to the Dragon PEAch.

Can someone tell me where I can find frozen 100% pear juice?

I want to start a peach-pear variation, I have frozen peaches already.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back