DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all. Just started my batch yesterday and added my yeast today at about 8:30am. It is 1pm right now and this is what it looks like. Is this ok? I wasn't sure if it should be so chunky? I am working in a bit cooler temp. I had to turn the heat on today and it is now 67 in the house and the thermo on the bucket says 64-66. Appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Jules

I have found that just a regular heat lamp works fine. Aim it near the bottom of the bucket to get good convection circulation. Also keep it back about a foot. Check the must temp for a while so you don't overheat. As already stated, the nust will increase in temp as it ferments. When you get to about 75, pull the lamp.

Thanks barryjo. The temp was up to 70 degrees today and the sg was at 1.050. Seems to be working!

Jules

Looking good, Jules. Everything going according to plan. Great job! Squeeze that bag hard, and stir it real good so it fizzes like crazy. In addition to stirring in O2, you are also driving out CO2. This will make it much easier to degas later on. Keep up the good work.

Gotta get some more going this week, myself. Of course, I can make mine with my eyes closed. :p

I started a 3 gallon batch of dragon blood last night. I used 4 lbs of berries and added two bananas also. Everything else per the recipe. I pitched Lavlin 1122 yeast this morning at about 10am. Before when i made dragon blood, i would have an active ferment by now, 6 hours later. Nothing showing. I did place a heating blanket to warm it up some. Any ideas?

Thanks Dave. I am super excited! Down to 1.038 today. Guess I better start gathering everything to have on hand for racking.

Jules

Found a pretty good deal on blueberries. 13 pints for $15, plus a free box of cereal, and a $5 voucher for my next shopping trip.

Looks like imma try blueberry DB next.

Wife and I are planning a trip to March Farm here in Connecticut. We'll be picking peaches for my attempt at making a lemon peach variation of DB. This will be my 4th batch of wine using the DB recipe and my most challenging variation.

Huckleberry sounds awesome! I love huckleberries!

Well, my SG was down to .994 tonight so I removed the fruit pack, did not stir and just replaced the lid lightly and covered with a towel. There were tiny bubbles rising to the top. Not a fizzy sound though like it had been. Tonight is also the first night that when I uncovered it, I actually smelled wine!!
Hopefully it will stabilize in a few days and I can make my first attempt at racking.

Jules

A bit worried here. I checked today and here is what it looks like. I think I read somewhere that white film on top is not good??!!
Jules

After Fruit Bag Removed.jpg

I jusat posted this question then I saw this thread and thought this might be a better place for it. I just started my very first wine not from a kit and decided dragons blood sounds pretty awesome. I read and rechecked everything more times then I can count... and within the first 5 minutes I made a mistake.
I added 3 times the yeast energizer (was looking at the amount of nutrient) is this going to ruin my batch? Can I fix this or can I just expect a fierce fermentation?

Jules, that white stuff in the primary is just yeast clumps. Don't sweat it.

Jocelyn, the energizer is like vitamins for the yeast. It should be fine. Proceed as instructed...and watch yourself! :wy

Blueberry wine

Have a question for you DB Blueberry wine makers. I seem to remember that it takes 9lbs of frozen blueberry's to make blueberry wine. Is this correct? Will they be enough to make a great tasting wine?

Will

Have a question for you DB Blueberry wine makers. I seem to remember that it takes 9lbs of frozen blueberry's to make blueberry wine. Is this correct? Will they be enough to make a great tasting wine?

Will

Hi Will! I actually used 12 pounds of fruit when I made my Blueberry DB (I also added a couple bananas, a handful of oak chips and 1 cup of raisins). I am very happy with the way it turned out! That being said, I think the original triple berry variety continues to be my favorite...but ask me again after the "Blue Blood" has had a little more time to age :ib

Hi Nathan

the yeast you chose (71B1122) just is slow to start. I know on the Lalvin website it says otherwise, but in my experience it easily can take 2 days to get going. I found a dose of energizer helps it zing tho.

Pam in cinti

Hi Will! I actually used 12 pounds of fruit when I made my Blueberry DB (I also added a couple bananas, a handful of oak chips and 1 cup of raisins). I am very happy with the way it turned out! That being said, I think the original triple berry variety continues to be my favorite...but ask me again after the "Blue Blood" has had a little more time to age :ib

With your 12 lbs. of Blueberry did you add extra lemon juice or add some acid blend? I'll be starting a peach (15 lbs.) DB variation in a few weeks and have been freaking out reading all these different posts about getting the Ph just right. I'm thinking I may need to add an extra 48 oz. of lemon juice or maybe some acid blend for my peach Db but am really clueless as to which and how much. Your thoughts?

Methinks today I shall take my first stab at semi-dragonette. I have some blueberries, and I'm out of lemon juice, though I do have a bit of lime juice. Perhaps I'll just throw caution to the wind and experiment some.

So, 14 pints of blueberries = approx 10.5 lb. Hrm, not sure if that's enough. i suppose I could scale it down to a 5 gal.

Columbus took a chance....

Last edited:
I'm really excited today. I got my 100% blackberry dragon blood started and will pitch the yeast tomorrow morning. Doing 5 lbs for a three gallon batch and added two bananas. Happy, happy, happy!!!!

I really like the blackberry version, too, Nathan. I had some last night, as a matter of fact. Good choice!

Latest posts

Back