DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will, but I am going to wait until after the DB variant contest. I guess that may sound selfish, and I don't mean to sound that way. I know that even following the same recipe every wine maker's wine may taste a little different. I could be considered a little competitive! And this will probably not win anyway as, I think, it is very different.

Picked up this triple berry blend at a discount store today. $2.99 for two pound bag. Picked up two bags and am going to try a DB recipe adding banana to the must making about 3 gallon. Little more than the one pound per gallon recipe. This fruit is "crumbled" fruit for use in smoothies. Wondering if it will make any difference.

1407444686164.jpg

Oh, that should be fine, Nathan. I've used bananas before. Makes a good wine with the triple berries. I'm sure you'll like it.

Good luck, my man!

Bottled my third batch of DB (I call it Lemon Berry Wine) yesterday. Had a bit of a scare in tasting some of the ~500ML left over that didn't get bottled. Didn't taste very good but thought to myself it is young and it is warm. Poured two glasses, covered the glasses with Saran Wrap and placed them in the fridge. Well, when evening rolled around and my wife and I tasted the chilled wine we found the DB taste that we've grown to like was back. It'll probably even improve some with age. I'm thinking that for me there is a big difference in taste DB chilled vs. DB warm. Have any of you found that to be the case?

Bottled my third batch of DB (I call it Lemon Berry Wine) yesterday. Had a bit of a scare in tasting some of the ~500ML left over that didn't get bottled. Didn't taste very good but thought to myself it is young and it is warm. Poured two glasses, covered the glasses with Saran Wrap and placed them in the fridge. Well, when evening rolled around and my wife and I tasted the chilled wine we found the DB taste that we've grown to like was back. It'll probably even improve some with age. I'm thinking that for me there is a big difference in taste DB chilled vs. DB warm. Have any of you found that to be the case?

I do prefer it chilled! I have a few bottles that I only backsweetened to 1.004 which I am going to let age for a couple months and I am curious to see if those are okay at room temperature. In the meantime, especially with the hot weather, I cold glass of DB is the perfect end to a sweaty day...LOL.

In the meantime, especially with the hot weather, I cold glass of DB is the perfect end to a sweaty day...LOL.

I agree! Some ice cold DB while doing yardwork makes it all go by much faster.

I am down to my last few bottles of DB so am a little late planning my next batch but both fermenters will be tied up for another week at least with beer. I was thinking of doing a strawberry DB since they are $0.80/lb frozen at my local grocery store. But I am thinking a blueberry might be in order instead.

Dave, any tips on a blueberry DB other than just following the recipe in the PDF but substituting in all blueberries? You can PM me your secret recipe, I promise not to enter it into the contest :i

Finally starting my 3 gallons of local Virginia picked fruit (blackberry, blueberry, and black raspberry). Black Dragon's Blood? I'm doing double fruit so I added the full 3tsp of pectic enzyme.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1407978827.028917.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

datcv said:
Finally starting my 3 gallons of local Virginia picked fruit (blackberry, blueberry, and black raspberry). Black Dragon's Blood? I'm doing double fruit so I added the full 3tsp of pectic enzyme.

Is that a picture looking down into your primary? It looks great but I'm thinking without the fruit in a mesh bag of some sort how do you squeeze the fruit? Also, won't you have racking cane clogging issues first time you transfer?

Ps. Who knows? Maybe Dragon blood really is black.
smilie.gif

Last edited:
Nah, it's just strategically taken so that you can't see the bag. right after I took this I tied it off and squeeze the fruit to mush.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Dave, any tips on a blueberry DB other than just following the recipe in the PDF but substituting in all blueberries? You can PM me your secret recipe, I promise not to enter it into the contest :i

Just use blueberries. That's it! Alot of folks like this version, myself included.

Hello all. Just started my batch yesterday and added my yeast today at about 8:30am. It is 1pm right now and this is what it looks like. Is this ok? I wasn't sure if it should be so chunky? I am working in a bit cooler temp. I had to turn the heat on today and it is now 67 in the house and the thermo on the bucket says 64-66. Appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Jules

IMAG0538.jpg

JaJinAK said:
Hello all. Just started my batch yesterday and added my yeast today at about 8:30am. It is 1pm right now and this is what it looks like. Is this ok? I wasn't sure if it should be so chunky? I am working in a bit cooler temp. I had to turn the heat on today and it is now 67 in the house and the thermo on the bucket says 64-66. Appreciate any input.
Thanks,
Jules

Danger Daves instructions state... "Place brew belt (if desired): Keep temp in 68F-80F range. A higher temp will result in a faster fermentation, and a sharper tasting, more colorful wine. A lower temp will produce a paler blush with more fruity aroma and a smoother taste."

I would try to get your bucket temp up a little higher. Assuming you don't have a brew belt (consider investing in one) maybe put the bucket in another larger vessel and surround the bucket with hot water. Once your fermentation starts your must temp will rise. At that point just keep your bucket wrapped with a blanket or a couple of towels and I'll bet the fermentation process itself will keep the temperature above 68F until you get to around SG 1.000. Going dry might take a few days longer than normal but with EC-1118 yeast you should do just fine.

Good luck!

Ps. Recently bottled my third DB batch and am looking forward to starting a peach variation within a few weeks.

Last edited:
That looks just fine, Jules. It would be great if you could warm it up some more, but if you can't, it will still turn out just fine. The ferment will take a bit longer, but it will continue. You are still with the tolerance level for EC-1118. Just follow the recipe, squeeze and stir good daily, check your SG regularly, and you'll be sipping DB in no time.

Keep at it, and thank you for trying the recipe. Everyone's input is welcome. :br

Edit: Bill gives good advice.

If you have a tub/tank just a bit larger than your primary, set the primary inside that. Then fill with water and add a fish aquarium heater to the water. Should keep about 70 degrees.

Most of my batches of wine are one gallon size. I put the fermenter into a Rubbermaid tub of a water with the heater

Thanks Bill, Dave, and Mike for the great responses.
I have ordered a Brew Belt but will have to wait for it to arrive. Hopefully within the week. We have one local shop that carries supplies but they don't carry those.
I will try the bin with warm water method and see if I can't raise the temp up just a bit.
I don't really want to raise the temp in the house any more as I am trying to save that oil for winter heat!:snw:<

Thanks Bill, Dave, and Mike for the great responses.
I have ordered a Brew Belt but will have to wait for it to arrive. Hopefully within the week. We have one local shop that carries supplies but they don't carry those.
I will try the bin with warm water method and see if I can't raise the temp up just a bit.
I don't really want to raise the temp in the house any more as I am trying to save that oil for winter heat!:snw:<

LOL! I think most of us face the opposite problem... keeping our wine cool during bulk and bottle aging.

I can see where cooling could be a bigger problem.

I checked my bucket tonight and it was bubbling quite a bit. I took all my readings and started stirring and it sounded and looked like someone had opened a champagne bottle in the must. I am sorry to sound so naïve but is this normal?
My SG when I started was 1.073 and today it was 1.066. My temp is still around 68 degrees. I was able to put a small space heater nearby that I use during the time I am home. I tried the warm water method but I can barely lift the bucket up to get the water tub under. My brew belt shipped today!!

Also, how long do you vigorously stir? I am going for about 1 1/2 minutes.

Thanks,
Jules

I can see where cooling could be a bigger problem.

I checked my bucket tonight and it was bubbling quite a bit. I took all my readings and started stirring and it sounded and looked like someone had opened a champagne bottle in the must. I am sorry to sound so naïve but is this normal?
My SG when I started was 1.073 and today it was 1.066. My temp is still around 68 degrees. I was able to put a small space heater nearby that I use during the time I am home. I tried the warm water method but I can barely lift the bucket up to get the water tub under. My brew belt shipped today!!

Also, how long do you vigorously stir? I am going for about 1 1/2 minutes.

Thanks,
Jules

Sounds like everything is going along just like normal. Your stirring is just fine and remember to squeeze that bag real good each day. If I remember right Dave says Crush it to get every bit of juice out of the fruit. Your SG drop is normal also. This is a slow and easy process. You can go back and read this Thread from the beginning if you can find the time it is very informative and entertaining. A lot of your questions you will have is back in this Thread. There are some great people here to help you with any question. I started my 5th batch of DB yesterday so I will be adding the yeast sometime today to get that ferment going. Good Luck.

Will

Last edited:
Thanks Will. I am relieved that things seem to be ok. I am going to try and read this thread, completely, this weekend!!
Jules

Latest posts

Back