DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 4-berry Dragons Blood cleared (week or so after sparklloid)...still somewhat dark in the 5 gal carboy, but if I pour a sample I can see it's clear. I checked SG and I was at 0.993. I racked to a bucket and was quite conservative, leaving quite a bit behind. I thought the batch needed a little "body" so I added two frozen cans of cranberry concentrate. Tasted better but not nearly there. Added 2 cups of sugar and got much better. I needed to replenish all that I had left behind, so I added a bottle of Twisted Zin and a quart of blueberry juice. Tastes pretty darn good now! Racked back to the carboy. Bottling in another week or so! Took another SG reading to see that I am at 1.01 now.
I always hate to assume, but I am guessing you have added the sorbate and metabisulfite? And did you just add sugar? Or did you make a simple syrup? I have read, somewhere, that the alcohol will often prevent sugar from completely dissolving and thus the need for simple syrup... just suggestion....

My current "perfected version" calls for the addition of 1/3 cup of untoasted American oak in the primary and three tsp of finishing tannin near the end, in addition to everything else in the recipe. This was after nearly three years of tasting and testing.

Ah! They do say great minds think alike. That was my thought exactly chips insead of tannin in the pimary and tannin later in the seconary or later on still. I also used American oak approx. 60 or 70 grams though I don't recall if it was toasted or not I'll have to double check when I get home. I also doubled the pectic enzyme since I doubled the fruit. Where do we find the "Perfected version" or is that reciepe written on parchment and locked in the vault. :)

I'm mainly just concerned that the vacuvin cork is an acceptable way of keeping a bottle exra while it clears. I gave it another couple of pumps today. It seems to be holding vaccum so I guess it will work as well as with an air lock.

Is that correct.

Dragon Blood original recipe well received and given high praises!!

I racked off a bottle from primary, 0.992 before heading out to a dinner party. I funneled in two table spoons of sugr, put a piece of Saran Wrap over the neck, shook the CO2 out, left in the fridge to chill over at the host house.

It didn't last 10 minutes. "Oooh, I could definitely keep drinking this all day, its not to sweet and doesn't make me thirsty," " This has some really nice flavor." "Can you top me off with the rest before dinner."

Hahaha, it was right out of the primary!

You rock Dave!!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Bottle of DB (I call it Lemon Berry wine) was a big hit at last night's supper club. Host actually finished the bottle by pouring a second glass for himself. Love that a decent fruit wine can be made so quickly and economically.

Last edited:
You guys did it! Bask in the praise! Pat yourselves on the back! Great job!:try

You can give someone a recipe, but it doesn't make itself. I'm just the messenger. :dg

Ah, the trials and tribulations of wine making. Ain't it great!

Problem solving is a great skill to learn with your wines. After 122 bathces, I'm yet to have a stuck ferment (good local water, maybe?), but that just means I'll have no idea what to do when it happens.

Panic! :)

I understand there' s a neat website that features all manner of help for just such an occasion.:)

I'm mainly just concerned that the vacuvin cork is an acceptable way of keeping a bottle exra while it clears. I gave it another couple of pumps today. It seems to be holding vaccum so I guess it will work as well as with an air lock.

Is that correct.

Sure it will work but seems a lot of bother for no reason since you keep having to pump it every so often.
You don't need an need airlock on it, you said you stabilized the wine- fermentation is over and you are just storing for 1-3 weeks tops probably 2.

Just cap it , seal it somehow or put it in a bottle that can be capped and problem is over. Or even saran wrap with rubber band or even plastic and tape it over.

- or you can use a balloon or double balloon if you want "airlock' though it has not much point. . Balloons are not supposed to be good for long term but I've used them more than two months with no problem , no rubber taste or spoilage, ... but later I realized it was pointless - because they were dead dry - nothing was coming out!!! and I might as well have capped them and /or just released cap every two weeks for gas balance and re-screw.

Small reserves up to a 750 bottle in size I store in the fridge - I think it settles better - "cool stabilization" and preserves better.

DB gets bottled soon. :)

ImageUploadedByWine Making1403615725.177536.jpg

Steve's AIO took most of the CO2 during the rack. I had some left over in the primary. With some finesse I was able to get a couple clear swigs before clean up. Yum! I slept nicely....;)

DB gets bottled soon. :)

View attachment 16437

Steve's AIO took most of the CO2 during the rack. I had some left over in the primary. With some finesse I was able to get a couple clear swigs before clean up. Yum! I slept nicely....;)

That's a great looking carboy NoobVinter. Congratulations. We have one that we will be bottling soon also.
Will

I'm sure that this has been covered in this thread but there is too much to dig through to find it! lol, My question is: I have a 7 gallon primary fermenter but only a 5 gallon carboy as my secondary, I would like to attempt my first batch of DB but only want to end up with 5 gallons in the secondary, what adjustments do I need to make to the original recipe?

Bottling batch #2 tonight after work this batch is better than the first. And everyone loved the first batch

That's a great looking carboy NoobVinter. Congratulations. We have one that we will be bottling soon also.

Will

Thanks Will! This is my first attempt. Started out a bit rough, but here we are. Lol best luck with your mate, cheers.

I'm sure that this has been covered in this thread but there is too much to dig through to find it! lol, My question is: I have a 7 gallon primary fermenter but only a 5 gallon carboy as my secondary, I would like to attempt my first batch of DB but only want to end up with 5 gallons in the secondary, what adjustments do I need to make to the original recipe?

My recommendation would be to make it to the original recipe, that is, make 6 gallons. When you rack down to secondary, you will have some left over, but not a whole gallon, due to loss to lees. You could put the extra into, say, two 1-qt Mason jars, and put them in the fridge. Then you can use that to top off if you ever rack the DB, or just drink it, or throw it away.

Or you could adjust the original recipe by multiplying by 5/6, and deal with topping off in another way.

Bottling batch #2 tonight after work this batch is better than the first. And everyone loved the first batch

That was also my experience. My 2nd batch did use a penta-berry vs. a quad-berry mix and I used a 1/2 cup less sugar for back sweetening vs. the first batch. Oh, and less water so that I didn't end up so far over 6 gallons as I did with the first batch.

So, does the 3rd batch get even better? :dg:HB

Last edited:
I agree with Paul. I've gone to the local wine store, buy cheap gallons of wine (usually $9.99 or less.) I use the wine to make Sangria for parties etc. Then keep the gallon jugs for small batches, or extras that wont fit in a carboy.

I find myself with 6lbs of raspberry's that need to get used because I have to clear way in my deep freezer for meat!

I dont want to spend more money on other ingredients, to make 30 more bottles of DB. I am trying to keep it simple, considering I already have 25 bottles of Blue/Rasp, 20 bottles of SP and many bottle of good summer wine. So my summer wine supply is doing well.
so I was thinking straight Raspberry.

I dont want to make 6 gall w/ 6lbs, that would be too week.
I was thinking 3 gallons and double up the rasp.

having never used straight Raspberry, I am unsure of the flavor for wine.

Has anyone ever done straight Raspberry?
If so was it too light, too harsh?
Any recommendations?
:se

I want to see if I'm on track for a good batch of wine. As it stands now, I don't care for it very much.

I racked it Saturday. It's seems to be clearing very well. Tonight I tasted some of it. I'm unclear of the wine terminology to describe it, but here goes.

The flavor is good but a bit weak, like it's watered down. Will this improve? How long will it take.

Also, it has a sharp type flavor to it and leaves my tongue numb or tingling. Is this normal and will it go away?

My current "perfected version" calls for the addition of 1/3 cup of untoasted American oak in the primary and three tsp of finishing tannin near the end, in addition to everything else in the recipe. This was after nearly three years of tasting and testing

Would finishing tannin be the same as the tannins you add in the beginning stage?

The flavor is good but a bit weak, like it's watered down. Will this improve? How long will it take.

Also, it has a sharp type flavor to it and leaves my tongue numb or tingling. Is this normal and will it go away?

Sounds like you are making true Dragon Blood! :)

Seriously, though, it will improve over time. However, this wine---like any other---is not for everyone.

Sugar improves the balance. Time improves the flavor.

Latest posts

Back