DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rosa,
Here's the latest DangerDave DB Manual. This revised manual only shows (1) 48 oz. bottle of lemon. The older versions showed (2) 48 oz bottles. Don't know if you used 48 oz or 24 oz for a 1/2 recipe amount. Either way you should be fine, as some with acid reflux substitute acid blend and no lemon.

You'll love it. Oh, BTW you should drink it not wear it. This stuff is amazingly versitile, but I've never tried it for cleaning floors and cabinets! Don't give Carolyn aka Dragon Mama any ideas or she'll be marketing a new perfume - Eau de DB!

View attachment dangerdaves_dragon_blood_wine.pdf

Rosa,
Here's the latest DangerDave DB Manual. This revised manual only shows (1) 48 oz. bottle of lemon. The older versions showed (2) 48 oz bottles. Don't know if you used 48 oz or 24 oz for a 1/2 recipe amount. Either way you should be fine, as some with acid reflux substitute acid blend and no lemon.

You'll love it. Oh, BTW you should drink it not wear it. This stuff is amazingly versitile, but I've never tried it for cleaning floors and cabinets! Don't give Carolyn aka Dragon Mama any ideas or she'll be marketing a new perfume - Eau de DB!

Too funny! I have worn that before! had a bit of a bottling mishap of my last batch of DB... my old go to fragrance is eau de cheval though lol

Has anyone thought of or actually made the combination of blueberry and peach? For some reason my mind keeps lingering on it and it seems like the flavors would go well together. Would probably have to do an f-pak or fresh fruit soak at the end of ferment though... As people seem to say that peach is a weaker flavor

That sounds really good! I love peach, but so many times the peach wines I've tried left a lot to be desired. You'll have to use a lot of peach. I'm sure James can give suggestions on peach!

Has anyone thought of or actually made the combination of blueberry and peach? For some reason my mind keeps lingering on it and it seems like the flavors would go well together. Would probably have to do an f-pak or fresh fruit soak at the end of ferment though... As people seem to say that peach is a weaker flavor

I know that in the beer brewing side, if making anything with peaches, use same amount of apricots as the peaches to pull the peach flavor through.

I know that in the beer brewing side, if making anything with peaches, use same amount of apricots as the peaches to pull the peach flavor through.

Do you think then that I should consider doing apricot, peach and blueberry? That sounds like an excellent port... I'll be James has a recipe :p

Too funny! I have worn that before! had a bit of a bottling mishap of my last batch of DB... my old go to fragrance is eau de cheval though lol

You had me at Eau de Cheval! :HB As a fellow horse person, I can appreciate that! LMAO!!! Je ne parle un peu français!

I have to go practice my "Presser" technique as my Blueberry DB was at 1.004 yesterday!

Oh that's awesome you're into horses?? Moi, je parle français un petit petit peut!

I been thinking on a variation like this.

3 gallons apple juice
1 gallon pineapple juice pineapple juice
Sugar to reach a SG of 1.075
1 tsp. tannin (stir)
3 tsp. yeast nutrient (stir)
1 tsp. yeast energizer (stir)
3 tsp. pectic enzyme (stir)
Top to 6 gallons with more apple juice
6 # triple berry blend

from this point on run normal DB instructions

Has anyone done anything like this yet ?

You had me at Eau de Cheval! :HB As a fellow horse person, I can appreciate that! LMAO!!! Je ne parle un peu français!

I have to go practice my "Presser" technique as my Blueberry DB was at 1.004 yesterday!

I'd love it if you share any pertinent details on your blueberry db project... I was afraid to go with all blueberry so I bought 2 parts blueberries to 1 part quadberry to try this combo soon. Did you add any other type of fruit to enhance the blueberry flavor?

Need some help. Friday I transferred 4 gal DB to secondary. This is my 3rd batch ever and 1st that wasn't a single gallon. I did an orange/pineapple from concentrate. The recipe called for 1/4 cup sugar and 1 can of concentrate to back sweeten after adding 1 campden and 1 tsp sorbate and before adding sparkloid. I was very happy with the result. When I transferred the DB (.990 for 3 days) I added 1/4 sugar per gallon after stabilizing and before sparkloid. Rereading the recipe it says not to back sweeten for 1 week. Everything looks good and no sign of refermentation. Am I ok? I think I am but reassurance would be greatly appreciated.

pafruit, your ok...just let it get crystal clear before bottling.
I never add sorbate until my wine is clear..

I know this slightly off topic but when is CLEAR, CLEAR?? I guess I should rack this port again, clear is clear when you get absolutely no sediment dropping out. I am absolutely astounded that the sparkolloid completely cleared this within 48 hrs. My camera isn't the best so the picture doesn't do it justice!! I'm going to rack again to see how much sediment I get after this racking... You can see through the carboy... No sediment stuck in the ridges either I always give it a little tap a few times a day to ensure the sediment drops.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1390827328.088911.jpg

I would rack it , if thats oak chips at the top.
then see if any sediment falls after about 3 days.
all kinds of stuff can be trapped in the oak.

You could add a 4oz bottle of peach concentrate at the end. In the clearing phase.that will bring out the peach flavor as well.

I would rack it , if thats oak chips at the top.
then see if any sediment falls after about 3 days.
all kinds of stuff can be trapped in the oak.

Thanks James! I hadn't thought of that... These are cubes and not chips or shavings of any kind and don't appear to be dropping any particles but I'm racking and fortifying with more brandy today. Oh boy oh boy wait til you guys see the awesome colour on my tropical one it's the nicest light rose colour!

Last edited:
I'd love it if you share any pertinent details on your blueberry db project... I was afraid to go with all blueberry so I bought 2 parts blueberries to 1 part quadberry to try this combo soon. Did you add any other type of fruit to enhance the blueberry flavor?

I made an all blueberry batch this fall. We went and picked blueberries in July, I reserved 8 lbs for a batch of what we call blueblood. I followed the original recipe to a T other than using the 8lbs of blueberries which I froze until I started the batch.

I was a little surprised in the color as it is very close to the same color as the normal DB. The taste however is quite different. At first the flavor profile was quite similar but now as it's aged a little bit I really like this blueberry version. Going to be a big hit in the summer.

I bottled half in 750ml bottles and the other half in beer bottles, easier to serve pool side.

Latest posts

Back