DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, I racked the DB again to get it off the sediment from the clarifying agent. It appears that it isn't spoilage that I'm tasting. I will give it another week to see if it improves. Has a great looking color.
Dawgs,
I see you stated that you used Pineapple instead of lemon juice. Did you use/substitute for the lemon such as any acid additives like blend, citric, etc. to balance the DB? I'm not offering this as an answer to your taste issue, but just wondering what the PH is without much acid since pineapple is probably not as acidic as lemon juice. The balance may contribute to the flavor as well. Just a thought.

Jet Jockey, nope did not use any acid additives. Only used what was listed as the recipe on the original page. Only variances were using pineapple juice, Lavilin 1122 yeast and used 2# blackberries, 24 oz each raspberries & blueberries and 1# peaches.

Hmmm the acid thing is intriguing me now too, I just finished preparing my tropical daze must and I must be a taster too, because the very last thing I did after putting all ingredients in was taste a small amount of it. I said to myself - ah! I forgot the acid blend. I am following Dave's DB recipe, so I checked the recipe to see how much to put in and of course, there isn't any because of the lemon juice. I feel like it needs acid blend because I put 2 - 48 oz cans of pineapple juice, pure juice in with my fruit blend of mango, peach, strawberry, banana and pineapple. However, I decided against it and will put it in tomorrow if needed after the pectic enzyme has had a chance to work on the fruit. What do you guys think about that?

Going from memory, I think I saw recipes that said to substitute acid blend when not using lemon in the tropical varients or for batches that didn't want the lemon taste.

just opened a bottle of my tropical thats been sitting on the shelve for 3 mos....it is outstanding.....as every batch i have made, they do get better after about 2 months on the shelf....

James... did you add acid blend? I'm using two cans pineapple juice and no lemon juice in my tropical that I started today. I added one can of welche's concord for colour too...

Going from memory, I think I saw recipes that said to substitute acid blend when not using lemon in the tropical varients or for batches that didn't want the lemon taste.

Yup I'm pretty sure that's what it needs, right now it just tastes a bit flat and sweet...

your strawberrys are high in acid....enough so to cancel out your alkainity of the \mango,peach,pineapple.

we going to have to start calling you dragon mamma.
there is tables that can give you the acid and alkalinity of each fruit, but if you have to go that far to make a young drinking wine, then i would start making kits.
I doubt anyone has more db under his belt, other then dave himself.
I am just stating....his basic recipe is excellent....
No matter what fruit I use, I always use the lemon...There is a reason for it.

your strawberrys are high in acid....enough so to cancel out your alkainity of the \mango,peach,pineapple.

we going to have to start calling you dragon mamma.
there is tables that can give you the acid and alkalinity of each fruit, but if you have to go that far to make a young drinking wine, then i would start making kits.
I doubt anyone has more db under his belt, other then dave himself.
I am just stating....his basic recipe is excellent....
No matter what fruit I use, I always use the lemon...There is a reason for it.

Haha! Dragaon Mama! that's a good one! However it kind of sounds like dragon lady I used to call one of my horrible boss's that :)

Hmmm, I guess it's because I had copied a recipe for "tropical daze" that has the pineapple juice in place of the lemon... oh too late for that now, but do you suggest then that I add some lemon juice on top of this instead of acid blend? Thanks James! I can't wait ti this stuff is done, it's going to have a perfect rosy blush!

Tropical DB.jpg

Last edited:
I am making a batch of db using mustang grapes, with the skins.
They are so acidic that your hands will burn and break out with a rash.
I still used the lemon....its not for acid, its for the taste of the lemon.
Dragon blood should have that little hint of lemon..Period.....

Ckvchestnut-- I know there must be multiple tropical daze DB recipes but Pumpkinman's version has both lemon juice and pineapple juice. Also has honey in it too.
I'm starting my first batch tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Ckvchestnut-- I know there must be multiple tropical daze DB recipes but Pumpkinman's version has both lemon juice and pineapple juice. Also has honey in it too.
I'm starting my first batch tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

The one I found only lists 2-48oz cans of pineapple juice. The lemon was never added as it was a typo on tom's part.

Last edited:
Awesome!! I'll put lemon juice in then! Ya I didn't go the honey route... Normal sugar and raisins... Didn't have a place that I could get reasonably priced honey soon enough!

Ckvchestnut-- rereading recipe. It does have lemon juice listed but when you read down he said he forgot to delete it from recipe. He did only use pineapple juice. It is on the dragon blood skeeter pee topic. It is #98. I can't figure out how to copy it. Just search tropical daze. Or maybe if pumpkinman is on he can repost. :)

Ya see? I remember reading the post... I copied the instructions to my recipe book. Nevertheless I'll taste it tomorrow before pitching the yeast and adjust if needed :)

Well.....I started my first batch of DB.....just plain old DB.
I lost my recipe, found an old recipe, added half the lemon juice and hoped it was ok without changing anything else.
I might be wearing some......it might be on the floor and the cabinets..... But it's started! :)

Awesome Rosa! It's so much fun to make because it's fast hehe. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I've heard of others who only use half the lemon juice and they seemed to like it...

That's what I did it Carolyn, I just couldn't remember if I was supposed to add something else in place of the reduced lemon juice or not....
I didn't, so hopefully it will be ok.....Live and learn! :)

The wife and I are not big on lemons, so I have substituted 3 tsp. of acid blend in each 6 gallon batch, and not used any lemon juice at all. (Dave recommend this for those that want a lower acid wine. He calls it the "Dragonette" version.) The Triple Berry, and Blueberry versions I have made have turned out great. I do use double the fruit.

Latest posts

Back