DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
kryptonitewine said:
yes I do the extra racking but now it's just a habit I developed, not sure if it's good, bad, or indifferent. I just don't like to waste wine and don't want guck in it either. I don't have a filter (yet).

It can't be too bad of a habit if it's done correctly! I did rack once after clearing, waited a week but then racked off any sediment to bottles. So I'll try an extra racking and an extra week's wait this time... Thanks for your feedback!

Lori, I'm at a loss. I haven't ever seen stuff like that in mine. I'm sorry i can't be more help.

I filter my white and blush wines with a simple Vinbrite filter system. I never see any sediment in my bottles. Never.

Lori, this may be a stretch but look at post 55 on this thread by Jamesfromgalveston.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f86/sparkolloid-vs-super-klear-42435/index6.html

Do you think it could be yeasties?

Hmm.. now 'm wondering if it might not be yeast. I'll crack a bottle tomorrow and see if she pops. As James referred to, I added kmeta, sorbate and Superkleer on the same day. That's the way the kits I have been doing call for it. Therefore, I'm thinking you might be onto something since this is not a kit and had fruit.

Lori, I'm at a loss. I haven't ever seen stuff like that in mine. I'm sorry i can't be more help.

I filter my white and blush wines with a simple Vinbrite filter system. I never see any sediment in my bottles. Never.

Dave, no help? I feel unloved. :)

looks like acid forming...did you do an acid test on the wine before adding acid blend to see how much was required....are just use the standard measurement...did you add anything besides the berry blend...
I would bet it is acid forming out of the wine.
I dont think its a residual sugar.

Now, don't laugh at me here Lori: but I've had several cases where I've filtered my wine at bottling only to have the wine come out with more 'sediment' than it had before it went through the filter.

The filter pads were flaking into the wine. It'a happened 3 times now. Totally random, different purchase dates, soaking times are usually 10 minutes before I pop them into the filter. Happened to my Dad too.

Possible?

looks like acid forming...did you do an acid test on the wine before adding acid blend to see how much was required....are just use the standard measurement...did you add anything besides the berry blend...
I would bet it is acid forming out of the wine.
I dont think its a residual sugar.

I did not test the acid, I just went with the standard DB recipe. The only thing I changed was added some dried cranberries when it got down to about 1.03.

Now, don't laugh at me here Lori: but I've had several cases where I've filtered my wine at bottling only to have the wine come out with more 'sediment' than it had before it went through the filter.

The filter pads were flaking into the wine. It'a happened 3 times now. Totally random, different purchase dates, soaking times are usually 10 minutes before I pop them into the filter. Happened to my Dad too.

Possible?

That could be a possibility, I used one of the whole house type filters which I don't think will do that, but I'm not going to rule anything out.

I had to look at all my notes, and I found a few bottles of db that had the same thing in them...did not affect the taste at all..
I think it is caused by the sorbate not being mixed up 100 percent, sorbate is very soluble in alcohol, but not in water....make sure you mix the sorbate in about 1/2 cup water thouroughly before adding to wine.
and again....i would clear the wine first before adding sorbate...
draw some of the wine out, maybe a cup, and put in fridge and see if it
clumps up and drops to the bottom in about a day.
also...it looks like in the pic, you are getting some of the stuff dropping out as sediment.
Not sure why you filter, i dont....I have the setup, but I dont use it.
Another reason to make your wine at about 14 percent abv..is nothing harmfull will live in it, no yeast , no bacteria, nothing...so you you dont need the sorbate, even adding sugar.....

Thanks for that info James I'm going to try your tips too! What about drawing 1/2 cup of the wine mixing and then mixing into the whole batch? You said it wasn't too soluble in water? Or does it dilute quite well in a small amount of water if mixed thoroughly.? You'd have to start pretty high with the SG to get 14%... I think I started mine at 1.10 may not be high enough to get it that high... I think it'll end up around 13.5 abv or so...

Last edited:
:u I was leaning toward the sorbate thing until I opened a bottle this morning. I shook the bottle first and saw no bubbles so I tasted it. It's just a little tingly. Then,,, I put a vacuvin top on it and as soon as the air started being sucked out, the bubbles showed up. Shaking it produces even more. I guess it wasn't stabilized as I thought it was.

bubbles-1-3-14.jpg

whoool lori...you need to get that stuff unbottled, are you will be blowing caps.....degass and let clear again.

Amen, to that! Watch out for bombs! Unbottle into carboy and degas again. Might want to add a pinch of sulfite for good measure, as you'll be getting some air to it again.

Hope you get this straightened out, Lori!

Lori, when you added the sorbate did you mix with water are wine....
I would have mixed it with water. Now I'm beginning to think i may not have added it at all. YIKES!

I'll unbottle them. i wonder if its a good idea to run Super Kleer again after degassing and sulfating. then, AFTER it's clear, sorbate.

what do you think the abv is...
if its like 13 abv are better and its clear, i wouldnt add it.

most say to mix the sorbate with some wine, thats not correct.
sorbate does not dissolve in wine, but it does in water, and is converted
to sorbic acid...which is soluble in wine....but has to be mixed with water to become sorbic acid.

jamesngalveston said:
most say to mix the sorbate with some wine, thats not correct. sorbate does not dissolve in wine, but it does in water, and is converted to sorbic acid...which is soluble in wine....but has to be mixed with water to become sorbic acid.

Ok now I get you! From now on I'll mix it in a bit of water prior to putting it in the wine. So it must have been a case of not dissolving then if that was my case at all. The wine didn't last very long so I have no idea if it was all bottles affected or just the few last ones... Oh and gave away my last few which were supposed to sit around for 6 months to a year... Will have to hide wine better next time!

Lori....after looking at all my notes, and going back to feb and looking some bottles of wine I made:.
I had 19 bottles that had pretty much the same thing in them,
checking my notes, they were sorbated by mixing sorbate with wine and campden before being induced in to the wine, they were all degassed.
I had 41 bottles that i had added sorbate/campden to with water then induced and they were clear as a bell, all were degassed.

My thougts for what its worth..

If you mix the sorbate with wine before adding to carboy, it will not mix , but will be clear for a while...it will eventually turn yellowish, wispy,flaky brown..reason is because it has not be converted to sorbic acid.. So it stayed in suspension and clear until it got color, maybe because of the molecular makeup, etc.

Also>>>it has been found that a lot of companies selling potassium srobate is actually selling Potassium carbonate.
Potassium carbonate will turn a yellowish brown also...

That was early on, before i quit using sorbate.

jamesngalveston said:
Lori....after looking at all my notes, and going back to feb and looking some bottles of wine I made:. I had 19 bottles that had pretty much the same thing in them, That was early on, before i quit using sorbate.

James I've seen you say that you don't use sorbate much, are you just taking your time then and fermenting to .990 and then waiting for a specific amount of time other than for the wine to clear before bottling? I know you said you finish your wines above 14%. But can't EC-1118 ferment to higher levels like 18%? How long would we have to wait before backsweetening if we don't use sorbate?

Sorry if this has been posted somewhere else!

All good info James. I read your link on the sorbate being dissolved in water. I have always used water for it, not wine. I am in the process of degassing right now. there is no doubt that is is loaded with Co2. I honestly think i didn't let it finish before I sorbated it. Then back sweetened also. The abv is about 12% I can't find my notes anywhere. ( Note to self; make organization a priority this year).
I'm going to add Sparkelloid when i think all the gas is out along with 1 campden. then see what happens. Wish i had more Super kleer but Im out.

Latest posts

Back