DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep it's going down the drain tonight. Just waiting for someone to play taps and a 21 toast sault

ss for your loss Hunt. I've yet to have to have a funeral for one of mine, but I'm sure it will happen sometime!

It will be a good learning experience of I'm able to figure out what went wrong.

Hi there, I would like to start my first batch of this but I will be in Mexico from 6/1/14 until 6/8/14. Is there a timeline that would make starting a batch before I leave feasible or am I better off waiting until I get back. The temperature is rising and something tells me this will be a popular beverage of choice during the summer months. Thank you in advance for any help you can lend.

Ok, I finally got all the ingredients together....can I start it today, rack to carboy before I leave on 6/1/14....is there enough time?

Last edited:
Yes, get that sucker going!!!

You have two choices, really. 1) You can move it into a carboy at about SG 1.010 and let it sit (without adding anything else) until you return. By that time, secondary fermentation will be complete. 2) What I would do would be to get it to "dry" in the primary before you leave. If you keep it nice and warm, and squeeze and stir daily, nine days it plenty of time. Then, just before you leave, stabilize/degas and add your fining agent (Sparkolloid or other). By the time you get back, it should be nice and clear. You can then filter (if desired), back sweeten, and bottle just in time for Summer and a nice (if you are American) 4th of July celebration.

Perfect!

And if some of you haven't heard me hype this: Muscato blends wonderfully with original Dragon Blood. My wife loves it so much, she started openning my Muscato and mixing the bottles. So, I got as WE Muscato kit and made it next to a batch of DB. After some experimentation---and input from my wife---we discovered a 5:3 ratio of DB to Muscato is spot on! I took a six gallon carboy, added 3.75 gallons of DB and 2.25 gallons of Muscato. It is slightly lighter in color than the DB, and I call it Dragon Lady.

To be bottled soon.

Hey Dave, interested in the DB Muscato blend. Can you help me out on where to find the Muscato Kit? Been searching for this We Muscato Kit and no luck.
Will

The guys at Labelpeelers are awesome! I get a lot of stuff from them. Great prices, fast shipping (because they are in Ohio), and excellent service. I've been to their store, and even gave them a bottle of Dragon Blood last time I was up there. They also sell this kit for a great price. I've seen it listed for $25 more on other sites.

http://labelpeelers.com/world-vineyard-california-moscato-10l-wine-kit/

Or you could drive there. It's like 2 hours from you.

Last edited:
The guys at Labelpeelers are awesome! I get a lot of stuff from them. Great prices, fast shipping (because they are in Ohio), and excellent service. I've been to their store, and even gave them a bottle of Dragon Blood last time I was up there. They also sell this kit for a great price. I've seen it listed for $25 more on other sites.

http://labelpeelers.com/world-vineyard-california-moscato-10l-wine-kit/

Or you could drive there. It's like 2 hours from you.

X2 on label peelers being awesome! I buy most of my kits from them. I feel kind of bad not buying local. But you can't beat there sales. I just ordered a WE selection international amarone kit from them. Total was $126. At my local LHBS they want $155. Make sure you get signed up for there weekly email newsletter. They have had 22% off wine kits for almost a month.

And if some of you haven't heard me hype this: Muscato blends wonderfully with original Dragon Blood.

I have Moscato... hmmm
However I do need to run another batch of that, since the Moscato went very quickly.

I'm also going to third on Label peelers, I've been ordering a lot from them, they have better prices than the local places here so when I'm getting a bunch of stuff I've been going to them. They do ship pretty fast too.

My DB Update - Just FYI....I did a 3 Gal batch of DB in January. I followed DD's instructions to the tee, only cutting everything in half. I backsweetened it with simple sugar and added 1/2 cup of sugar per gallon. backsweetened SG was 1.008. When I first tried the DB it had a very strong lemony flavor. Now in May I have tried some more and it has mellowed a lot. It is very good. The flavors have come together nicely and the sweetness is just right. Ive started my 2nd batch, but I'm adding twice the amount of berries (8 lb) and I have cut the lemon back from 24 oz for a 3 gal batch to 12 oz. I hope this won't mess up my acid levels.

Great recipe Danger Dave... Thanks

DD & Calvin...Thanks for the tip on Lablepeelers wine site. I just ordered an Eclipse Stags Leap Merlot & a Int'l Selection Sauvignon Blanc from them. They were $20 cheaper then another site in FL that I was going to order from. Those will be my next wines. I've done both before and they both are really good.

Yes thanks, Dave and Calvin for the info. about LabelPeelers.

Last edited:
First Batch using 4 berry pack was dark coloured - I labelled it "Dragons Blood", Second batch was light using another brand of 4-berry pack , I labelled it "Dragons Breath"... Just my way to tell them apart - each batch will have a new dragon name. ::

I just started my fourth batch of Dragons Blood, I might have to try the blend for my wife. Although I always have rave reviews with the original when I share with friends. I Have to agree about Label Peelers. I'm fairly close and get by there quite often. They always have the best prices and are very helpful with any questions. I went to a wine class and a beer class (Christmas Ale was a huge hit, more brewing now) they have a pre class meeting that is very informative and enjoyable.

Don

In primary:
Dragons Blood

In secondary Fresh Chilean:
Malbec
Pinot Noir
Sangiovese
Sauvignon Blanc

There are always DB lurkers out there! Welcome to the site, Don. I'm glad you're having success with the recipe. Enjoy!

I have found that Wyman's Triple Berry Blend gives mine the best over-all taste and color. The Townsend Blend (same fruits) tends to make a lighter (color and flavor) wine. Don't know what the reason is. Might be the ratio of blueberries, as they seem to be the source of most of the color.

:u Well the 2nd batch of DB is 39 days old now still bulk ageing in the carboy. Changes to the original recipe I added an extra 3lb bag of the Great Value 3 berry which has strawberry, raspberry and blueberry. I back sweetened with 3.5 cups of organic sugar and 1 can Bacardi's Strawberry Daiquiri mix that a poster on here recommended. Gave a sample that is a little lighter in color than the 1st original batch to my wife and she said it had a hint of strawberry flavor. She really likes it. We are planning on bottling it in a week or two.
Will

Latest posts

Back