DangerDave's Dragon Blood Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wine bottles for about 6 months at room temperature, though it did sit in the carboy for about 3 months clearing with a bit more headspace than it should of had. When it first started clearing in the carboy it was a deep red. When I bottled it was a blush pink. After 6 months in the bottles, its bright orange.

I am sure you will get answers from some of the experienced members, but it sounds like oxidation to me.

How does it taste? Is the wine still good?

Did you add k-meta at racking and bottling?

I am sure you will get answers from some of the experienced members, but it sounds like oxidation to me.

How does it taste? Is the wine still good?

Did you add k-meta at racking and bottling?

Tastes fine. Nothing wrong with the taste at all. Nothing added at racking and bottling though. I cant handle the sulfites too well.

Dragon Blood is just too good , I have to keep one going at all times
Friends and family not so patiently waiting for the next bottling
I also love me some berries with a tropical twist (pineapple-mango) !!

Thanks Dave for such a easily variable recipe

Tastes fine. Nothing wrong with the taste at all. Nothing added at racking and bottling though. I cant handle the sulfites too well.

If it tastes fine, then I wouldn't think oxidation set in.

What was your predominant fruit used? If strawberry was one, it will fade out to an orange color.
I have never had the triple/quad berry change away from the deep red.

Dragon Blood is just too good , I have to keep one going at all times
Friends and family not so patiently waiting for the next bottling
I also love me some berries with a tropical twist (pineapple-mango) !!

Thanks Dave for such a easily variable recipe

Pineapple, mango, berries is by far my fave. Actually enjoying a bottle as I type this. ...

Just bottled 2nd 6 gallons of Christmas Dragon's Blood. This is the one that had a bit less spice....
We are drinking the last 1/2 bottle left over and it is delicious. If you want something to give away at Christmas, you still have time to start a batch!

My Christmas Dragonblood is in secondary clearing now! I can't wait to try it! It's smells fabulous! Thanks Jericurl for all the help and advise!!

Just sampled my Christmas Dragon Blood and WOW is all I can say! I need to start another batch so I will be willing to give this one up as gifts! The color is a little orange-red but the flavor....amazing!ImageUploadedByWine Making1446597069.100400.jpg

Just sampled my Christmas Dragon Blood and WOW is all I can say! I need to start another batch so I will be willing to give this one up as gifts! The color is a little orange-red but the flavor....amazing!View attachment 25622

It's good isn't it??

And it's good cold, room temperature, or heated up for a toddy.

It's good isn't it??

And it's good cold, room temperature, or heated up for a toddy.

Good is an understatement!! I tried it at room temp, I was thinking warm would be fabulous! I'm actually going to buy the supplies for a 2nd batch so I will be more willing to share! Thanks again for all of your help!!!!

I have officially started a second batch of Christmas Dragon Blood, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to part with the first batch and give them as gifts! Thanks to DangerDave and Jericurl for sharing!

Hello Dave
This is by far the best recipe I've come across
Over the last few years I make this 80% of the time
along with some very close variations
Friends and family all ways request more

Thanks so much Dave..

Not sure if i should ask here, and im not finding any info. I have made many batches of this, was curious though if anyone had run it through a neutral oak barrel? If so how much did it improve?

Just bottled 2nd 6 gallons of Christmas Dragon's Blood. This is the one that had a bit less spice....
We are drinking the last 1/2 bottle left over and it is delicious. If you want something to give away at Christmas, you still have time to start a batch!

Jericurl, ok I just had a 6 gal. batch of Triple Berry clear this week and just now added the honey, cinnamon, clove, vanilla, and elder berry's after adding the amount of sugar to back sweetened. I did figure the honey along with the sugar that I added when back sweetened. So my question is how long should I let it age with the spices in it before we filter and bottle? A month?

Will

Jericurl, ok I just had a 6 gal. batch of Triple Berry clear this week and just now added the honey, cinnamon, clove, vanilla, and elder berry's after adding the amount of sugar to back sweetened. I did figure the honey along with the sugar that I added when back sweetened. So my question is how long should I let it age with the spices in it before we filter and bottle? A month?

Will

Check it in a week and every few days after that. A month might be perfect, it might be way too long.

I have 1 gallon of Original Dragon Blood that I didn't bottle when I bottled my last 6 gallon batch. I'm thinking of adding extract or F-Pac to give it a different enhanced flavor. Anyone have any ideas of changes I could make?

I have 1 gallon of Original Dragon Blood that I didn't bottle when I bottled my last 6 gallon batch. I'm thinking of adding extract or F-Pac to give it a different enhanced flavor. Anyone have any ideas of changes I could make?

Vanilla, oak, and dried elderberries is my vote!

Vanilla, oak, and dried elderberries is my vote!

How long do you think I would need to leave the oak in it? I'm not sure if we have dried elderberries in my market. I'll have to look at some of the specialty stores. Thanks for the suggestion, it sounds good! And with my luck with your Christmas variant, how could I go wrong!

I just put 4 oz of medium french oak cubes, one vanilla bean, and about 2 oz of dried elderberries in with 5 gallons of blackberry/elderberry mead.

I'm going to leave it for one week, then taste and likely rack it and start finishing it for bottling in January.

Try it for about the same amount of time and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back