Crushing Muscadine grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What were all your readings Julie? I'm interested in seeing this information. I took the reds juice and split between 2 primaries and also did the same with the skins. My initial sg reading after filling with water was 1.034. I added sugar to abt 1.088, need to double check again today. Juice is a deep red now. I have to get a larger straining bag and transfer the one batch of skins into the bag as my small bag was way to compacted for the skins so I tossed them in loose for now. Will be adding yeast after work then I'll combine the 2 batches into one once fermented dry.

Last edited:
you didn't keep them together, skins and juice that is??

oh thought you had separated the 2 into 4 buckets was thinking he's trying to get everything out of those grapes LOL, The nobles make a real pretty blush off the skins if you didn't mix them with the reds

oh thought you had separated the 2 into 4 buckets was thinking he's trying to get everything out of those grapes LOL, The nobles make a real pretty blush off the skins if you didn't mix them with the reds

Reds are in 2 separate buckets, I'll take the nobles and do the same after I free up a carboy or 2. Only have 4 empty carboys at this time and I need to get stuff in them before my son tries to grab them for his beer.

I haven't taken a reading yet. I added peptic enzyme and then added k-meta. Mike and I did the same thing you did, took them out of the straining bags. They were so compacted in the bag nothing was coming out of them. Since we dumped them into the juice without the bag, the color and smell is wonderful. I want to do another press tonight, then take a reading and pitch the yeast.

Awwwww you need to let them sit on the skins at least a week goodness I do 2 weeks unless they ferment out first

I haven't taken a reading yet. I added peptic enzyme and then added k-meta. Mike and I did the same thing you did, took them out of the straining bags. They were so compacted in the bag nothing was coming out of them. Since we dumped them into the juice without the bag, the color and smell is wonderful. I want to do another press tonight, then take a reading and pitch the yeast.

You have that advantage of being able to press again. I had one large bag and one small. The large bag us the size of the fermenter plus some so there is room. My small bag is abt half the size. I just dumped into the juice and I'll strain into the bag after I get it. I'm leaving on the skins quite a while as I think this will be a slow ferment with the temps we are having. My basement is just around 60. The apple took off with no problems so this should be ok also.

Once done fermenting, I'll squeeze the daylights out of the bag to extract all yummy juices....

I always leave mine loose seems you get more flavor that way or at least it does to me. Seems if you bag it alot of the inside stuff doesn't get to release as good, but I guess with the fermentation the heat from it would help alot, LOL I bet you'll be surprised on how quick it'll ferment even if you let wild yeast do it.

This morning I punched down the fruit. The enzymes are really working on them. I'll add my yeast in a bit. I leave mine loose as well.

Eddie, we got noble going and red, separately. And I agree with you I think we are extracting more flavor and color when you have the fruit in with the wine instead of the fruit being in a bag. LOL, I don't have the guts to let wild yeast have a go at this.

I'm not sure when I am going to pitch the yeast, I went home for lunch and checked the juice and I think the grapes still need to break down some more.

if you've not done anything to them I'd say the wild yeast has probly started going already.... why would you not want to let the wild go?? You gotta go for the gusto and take chances LOL

if you've not done anything to them I'd say the wild yeast has probly started going already.... why would you not want to let the wild go?? You gotta go for the gusto and take chances LOL

Yeah Julie! Just what Sirs said!! Go for it! No guts no glory! :se

I can see where you too would get along just find at a party. I got to remember not to have you too in the same room. :<

The must has sulphite in it.

Julie/Doug, did either of you two take any acid readings? I am going to take some shortly to see what they are at this time.

I can see where you too would get along just find at a party. I got to remember not to have you too in the same room. :<

Why
The must has sulphite in it.
AWWWW oh well I tried

We'd probly do fine together

Latest posts

Back