This year's Crush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't... I should have though...! I moved where I store them and totally forgot. I used RC212 on both. Very interestingly, the DeChaunac moved through fermentation quickly. The Steubens I cold soaked and then fermented, and their fermentation temperature remained cool and took a bit longer even in the same fermentation space.

I didn't... I should have though...! I moved where I store them and totally forgot. I used RC212 on both. Very interestingly, the DeChaunac moved through fermentation quickly. The Steubens I cold soaked and then fermented, and their fermentation temperature remained cool and took a bit longer even in the same fermentation space.
Did you have any sulfur smells? I just heard about that issue but have never experienced it before. I think adding some DAP part way through and maybe the beginning helps prevent it. I’ve always used yeast nutrients so maybe that’s why I’ve never experienced that.

I didn't smell any H2S.

I use a nutrient protocol on all my fermentations of GoFerm, Fermaid O, and K. They didn't need any DAP, which I would only use towards the end if needed. Actually, the gallon I pulled off from the Steubens as saignee for a rose got down to 1.010 and seemed to stall. I warmed it a little from 62 to 68 and that didn't help, so I added a small amount of DAP and it finished nicely. The remaining original amount finished on their own at 62. There was probably enough YAN in the must with the remaining grape skins.

Didn't think I was going to be able to make any wine from grapes this year.
Pickup was supposed to be the weekend I was in Arizona.
Got a call last Thursday that the grower I get grapes from had about 500 lbs of Chambourcin, how much did I want.
Wife agreed that 200 lbs should be about right, so out to Swiss, MO (about 20 miles south of Hermann, MO) and today
we have wonderful fermentation going. First picture early this morning before punching down. and second is about 5 minutes after punch down.
Looks and smells like a winery in the basement. 24 brix, so probably 13.5%ABV or thereabouts.

Doing something new, co-inoculation of Malolactic Bacteria. (My wifes comment to that was don't F*@K UP my Chambourcin)

afterPunchdown.jpg

grapes with cap.jpg

Very nice! I have about 250 lbs of my Chambourcin in a Brute, I pitched the yeast last night so I'm going to do the first punch down soon. I had the fruit flies under control until this morning. 😡 I'll post pictures of the must ASAP.

Attachments

• Chambourcin bins.jpg
    Chambourcin bins.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Chambourcin cluster 1.jpg
    Chambourcin cluster 1.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Chambourcin cluster 2.jpg
    Chambourcin cluster 2.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
Very nice! I have about 250 lbs of my Chambourcin in a Brute, I pitched the yeast last night so I'm going to do the first punch down soon. I had the fruit flies under control until this morning. 😡 I'll post pictures of the must ASAP.

I control the fruit flies by just having a fan running in the fermentation area. Never have much problem with them.

Ditto! Mrs. WM81 hates the smell of fermentation -- I've got the windows in the wine area open and a fan running, so less "aroma" will waft upstairs.

Dang! That looks beautiful!

I count myself very lucky that my wife is also my cellar rat. She loves the smells of winemaking. Just wishes she could smell it better. Right now she has a cold and sinus issues, can't smell nothing.

I didn't smell any H2S.

I use a nutrient protocol on all my fermentations of GoFerm, Fermaid O, and K. They didn't need any DAP, which I would only use towards the end if needed. Actually, the gallon I pulled off from the Steubens as saignee for a rose got down to 1.010 and seemed to stall. I warmed it a little from 62 to 68 and that didn't help, so I added a small amount of DAP and it finished nicely. The remaining original amount finished on their own at 62. There was probably enough YAN in the must with the remaining grape skins.
Sounds like you’re having some fun over there Dave! RC212 is def legit. That bad rap is a moot point if using nutrients.

And those grapes….— I’ve honestly never once in my life heard of either of them before lol. But I certainly have heard of saigneé. And a sluggish rosé. Can’t say for sure but my theory is the juice lacks a ton of the nitrogen from little maceration time. I plan to use more nutrients for rosé in the future if not testing YAN.

But the later stage DAP is actually what compelled me to post. I’ve been under the impression that it’s the direct opposite of what you said. That once the abv reaches a certain point the DAP no longer helps the yeast but actually will feed the nasties instead b/c …. science. (*fact checkers-lookin your way!)

And thought Ferm-O is recommended if later stage nutrients are needed specifically b/c it lacks DAP. Now I may be completely wrong here and I can’t cite sources, but i committed it to memory so it must have come from somewhere lol.
Regardless though the wine gods were on your side. I’m glad to see everything worked out.

Sounds like you’re having some fun over there Dave! RC212 is def legit. That bad rap is a moot point if using nutrients.

And those grapes….— I’ve honestly never once in my life heard of either of them before lol. But I certainly have heard of saigneé. And a sluggish rosé. Can’t say for sure but my theory is the juice lacks a ton of the nitrogen from little maceration time. I plan to use more nutrients for rosé in the future if not testing YAN.

But the later stage DAP is actually what compelled me to post. I’ve been under the impression that it’s the direct opposite of what you said. That once the abv reaches a certain point the DAP no longer helps the yeast but actually will feed the nasties instead b/c …. science. (*fact checkers-lookin your way!)

And thought Ferm-O is recommended if later stage nutrients are needed specifically b/c it lacks DAP. Now I may be completely wrong here and I can’t cite sources, but i committed it to memory so it must have come from somewhere lol.
Regardless though the wine gods were on your side. I’m glad to see everything worked out.
Saignee is a common practice when you get fruit that lacks flavor and concentration it’s popular in the wine region I work in for the premium wines the cheaper wines don’t do it and are way less interesting or exciting and bland.

It improves the flavor and body of a wine a lot.

Chambourcin this morning before and after punch down. I don’t have much room to spare but the ferment is cool and slow.

Attachments

• 5C12A1AB-050E-4B6E-8954-06EA83900226.jpeg
    5C12A1AB-050E-4B6E-8954-06EA83900226.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 19415E6A-74C3-46E2-B05A-44676A3718D8.jpeg
    19415E6A-74C3-46E2-B05A-44676A3718D8.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
We pressed on Saturday, started bright and early. The Zin smells amazing and has a normal dark purple color even more so this year with the addition of Alicante. The Cab/Sangio/Merlot is more on the red side and also smelling great. Everything is transferred to my basement cellar for barrel and demijohn aging. Wraps up 48 cases this year.

press 2022.jpg

AJ I actually learned the saignee process from some of your posts so thank you! It makes complete sense that the rosé doesn’t have the necessary YAN, and I don’t have the means to test it, especially for such small runs. I just follow the nutrient protocol. Same with the other ferments to be honest.

As I understand it, the first 1/3 of fermentation time is the most critical and where yeast use the most nitrogen for growth. The best things to use are GoFerm (or similar) for micronutrients when hydrating, and balanced nutrients (O and K) which are like eating your vegetables. After that initial time it’s seemingly moot, and the only reason to use something like DAP is to finish it out if you have to because it’s like feeding candy to kids.

I’ll have to find the references and post them... the wine gods were definitely watching over me.

Steuben grapes taste like cotton candy off the vine. Amazing. They now taste a bit spicy. I wish I had done an EM with them, but they cold soaked and I read somewhere that too much time on the skins makes them a bit like concords. So… they’re settling out now and will go into hibernation with some oak for company fairly soon. They’re a bit tannic at the moment and a little sharp. I’ll see about a cold crash after a short time. They may make a really good port. That’s my next move with last year’s Frontenac...

250 lbs each merlot and syrah from Lonesome Spring Ranch WA. Pulled about 5 gals for saignee, first time trying this method.
This is my second year using grapes. Last year was all CS from same region, different farm. I'm not pleased with the product yet but can't point to any user error so don't know how to improve this year. Not that there's any major flaws or stink, just not a very good wine. But the excitement of the crush holds promise of better things to come.

vESDPNS.jpg

39KJ9lG.jpg

I'm loving the pictures of grapes and gear in this thread, it's particularly interesting to see so many grapes that are so different from what I'm used to ( = mostly Pinot Noir).

And @David Violante it looks like we have very similar equipment - hand crank destemmer with stainless hopper, #30 (?) stainless basket press and one of those little transfer pumps. 👍

I'm loving the pictures of grapes and gear in this thread, it's particularly interesting to see so many grapes that are so different from what I'm used to ( = mostly Pinot Noir).

And @David Violante it looks like we have very similar equipment - hand crank destemmer with stainless hopper, #30 (?) stainless basket press and one of those little transfer pumps. 👍
Yes indeed! I’ve been gathering things little by little, here and there, to make the process easier and better. Everything but the pump has been second or third hand. I do love a good DIY and have made a press previously, which worked really well but it was fairly big and cumbersome to move around. I even looked into making a crusher destemmer, a move up from a manual crusher I have, which was a move up from a milk-crate in a bin. Those things are just fabulous.

I anticipate the efficiency and ease is going to make me want to make more…

Not crush, but today was press day for our Chambourcin grapes. I've never had such a sloppy mess in 10 years of wine making. I did add pectin enzyme to the must prior to fermentation. I'm pretty sure I have always done that. Maybe it was that the grapes were on the vine an extra week from when they were ready to pick, due to being out of town.

PXL_20221016_180936785.jpgPXL_20221016_190831915.jpg

Not crush, but today was press day for our Chambourcin grapes. I've never had such a sloppy mess in 10 years of wine making. I did add pectin enzyme to the must prior to fermentation. I'm pretty sure I have always done that. Maybe it was that the grapes were on the vine an extra week from when they were ready to pick, due to being out of town.
My son & I finished pressing our large batches and I'm chilling. You REALLY made my day!

Those are now your official wine making clothes!!!

Ha! I had squirts when pressing my Chambourcin today. I did not add peptic enzymes and the grapes didn’t hang too long. I had to wrap plastic around the press at the end of the press. It must be the nature of the grapes this year.

I had squirts too and I added Lallzyme EX-V. I did use a mesh bag in the press. I’m planning to cut the bottom off a pail to place over for next time.

My filter sprayed me today. I was filtering a kit port I made. I tilted the bucket to try and get the last bit and there must’ve been a chunk in there that got sucked in and plugged it a bit. It was at the end so no big deal.

Latest posts

Back