This year's Crush

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally pressed out the old vine zin yesterday with my little helpers! I got to use my re-furbished #45 press (that took me way too long to finish). No big squirts like the other( I was using a mesh bag)
Absolutely awesome pics man!!! whether the wines amazing or the wine sucks doesn’t even really matter. Those memories of “helping dad squish the grapes” will last a helluva lot longer. And at the end of the day that’s really what it’s all about anyway.

Finally pressed Syrah and Merlot. 21 days on skins, 18 day ferment, SG 1.008. 20 gal syrah, 17 gal merlot, 3 gal each saignee rose, also 10 gal blackberry.
But here's a question. Of 6 carboys of reds, only the free run is pushing airlocks, 3 days after press. Is pressed juice slower to continue ferment or what?

saGaoDP.jpg

FMIi1Qm.jpg

Squirt protector
LoHXy9P.jpg

4JbxYdb.jpg

UPXAQIa.jpg

But here's a question. Of 6 carboys of reds, only the free run is pushing airlocks, 3 days after press. Is pressed juice slower to continue ferment or what?
AFAIK, there should be no difference. If anything, I'd expect the hard pressings to have more yeast so they'd go faster.

Yet another reminder that Mother Nature and Dionysus are in charge ...

Finally pressed Syrah and Merlot. 21 days on skins, 18 day ferment, SG 1.008. 20 gal syrah, 17 gal merlot, 3 gal each saignee rose, also 10 gal blackberry.

I would not read anything into it. Looks like you had some fun. I would check your stoppers carefully, as I have had a tough time getting those "universal" bungs to seat and seal properly. I dislike them so much, I threw all of mine out.

But with that said, you do need to get your fermentation finished-any thought about warming it up a bit?

I would not read anything into it. Looks like you had some fun. I would check your stoppers carefully, as I have had a tough time getting those "universal" bungs to seat and seal properly. I dislike them so much, I threw all of mine out.

But with that said, you do need to get your fermentation finished-any thought about warming it up a bit?
Good idea! It has been rather cool.
I rotated airlocks with same results, only the free run is making bubbles. However, SG progress is consistent in all carboys regardless of appearance.

Back