WineXpert Crushendo question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motomike

Reaction score
I started my WE Crushendo Super Tuscan last night. Instead of dumping the crushed grapes in the bucket I put them in a mesh bag. My question is: Is this Ok first off and second, do I need to stir daily as specified in the directions? Any other tips regarding this kit would be greatly appreciated. I chose this kit due to the good reports I have read in this forum.

It will be fine in the bag with a couple precautions.
First- don't pack them in keeping the grape skins loose. You need to let the skins expand and give them exposure to the must.
Second -When doing it this way I sanitize my big spoon and push the bag to the bottom several times. This kind of stirs the grapes and circulates the must through the skins.

Appleman is correct. Leave the grape pack loose. I used a large paint straining bag that basically filled the entire interior of my bucket. I added the juice and the grape pack to the bucket. I stirred it every day as instructed. When it was done I lifted the bag out, let it drain into the bucket and gave it a good squeeze to get everything out of it. I then had no issue racking and clean up was very easy.

If you use the supplied bag just squirt the grape pack in but tie it at the end where the pack has room to expand as they hydrate. If you tie it up too tight it will be hard for the solids on the middle of the mass to get out.

I do all of the above, plus, I sanitize some nitrile gloves (blue gloves, as I don't like latex),and I massage the bag to get all the jam out and into the solution. That way, I'm only left with grape skins and other solids, but everything that was liquid-ish is now in the must fully. This way, I get the maximum extraction of the phenols in the skins. I do this with CC, RJS, and WE grape pack kits. The new RJS dried skins don't require this, but all the other jam type skins do.

Latest posts

Back