Creating program: what would you want to record?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I'm working with a small group of friends in school. They have agreed to create a program that will record 'stuff' for us winemakers.

I was thinking stuff like recipes, and sugar, TA, PH, etc. Something one could update as they go, then refer back to it as they like.

Here is a list of some things I already thought of. If you can think of something I missed, please let me know.

<ul style="margin-top: 0in;" ="disc"><li ="Msonormal" style="">Beginning
date (date of mixing ingredients)<li ="Msonormal" style="">Beginning
fermentation date (date of adding yeast)<li ="Msonormal" style="">Type
of wine (which varietal; ie Merlot, Valpolicella, Chianti) <li ="Msonormal" style="">Kit VS
fruit<ul style="margin-top: 0in;" ="circle"><li ="Msonormal" style="">Kit
serial number[/list]<li ="Msonormal" style=""><b style="">titratable acidity</span>[/b]<b style="">, (TA[/b]) usually described in a
percentage (ie. .55%, .60%)<li ="Msonormal" style="">PH level
(phenolphthalein) (measure from 0.0-9.0) <li ="Msonormal" style="">Alcohol
level (ABV 0.0 – 40.0%)<li ="Msonormal" style="">Acid
added (acid blend grams or tsp added)<li ="Msonormal" style="">Titrates
added recorded (recorded in parts per million ie 0-500 ppm)<ul style="margin-top: 0in;" ="circle"><li ="Msonormal" style="">Added
as potassium metabisulphite (in grams, tsp, or ppm) or<li ="Msonormal" style=""><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Camden</st1:City></st1:place> added (added
in tablets like aspirin. so number of tabs about 50ppm per gal per tab)[/list]<li ="Msonormal" style="">Potassium
Sorbate added (grams or tsp)<li ="Msonormal" style="">Yeast nutrient<li ="Msonormal" style="">clarifiers
added and type and date (various types: chitosan, insinglas, Sparkaloid,
superkleer, bentonite, gelatin, polyclar) Added in liquid or powder (so
grams or tsp)<li ="Msonormal" style="">yeast
added (usually measure type of strain) </span>&amp; date<li ="Msonormal" style="">pectic
enzyme (grams or tsp) </span>&amp; date<li ="Msonormal" style="">calcium
carbonate (added in grams, One-fourth of a teaspoon of calcium carbonate
weighs about 0.5 grams; one teaspoon of calcium carbonate weighs about 2.6
grams.) &amp; date<li ="Msonormal" style="">tannins
(liquid or powder/ grams or tsp)<li ="Msonormal" style="">racking
dates (racking is moving the rough wine from one bottle to another during
the making process. It is wise to record the date of moving from one bottle
to another)<li ="Msonormal" style="">notes<li ="Msonormal" style="">Oaked?
(y/n) <ul style="margin-top: 0in;" ="circle"><li ="Msonormal" style="">Origin
of oak (French, american, etc.)<li ="Msonormal" style="">Roast
of oak (light medium dark)<li ="Msonormal" style="">Type
of oak(barrel, stave, chips, dust)<li ="Msonormal" style="">Date
oak added/removed[/list]<li ="Msonormal" style="">filtered
(yes or no and what size filter 6.0 micron (coarse), 1.0 micron (polish), .5 micron
(Sterile))</span><li ="Msonormal" style="">malolactic
fermentation (done yes/no)<ul style="margin-top: 0in;" ="circle"><li ="Msonormal" style="">type
of malolactic bacteria introduced (strain) [/list][/list]

<ul style="margin-top: 0in;" ="disc"><li ="Msonormal" style="">bottle
date<li ="Msonormal" style="">bottles
produced<li ="Msonormal" style="">bottles
left<li ="Msonormal" style="">cork
type(synthetic, natural, screw top)<li ="Msonormal" style="">tasting
notes[/list]

<ul style="margin-top: 0in;" ="disc"><li ="Msonormal" style=""><b style="">sugar level (this could be measured in
two scales)[/b]<ul style="margin-top: 0in;" ="circle"><li ="Msonormal" style="">Brix
(scale from 0.0 - 37.0)<li ="Msonormal" style="">S.G.
(scale from .990 – 1.90)<li ="Msonormal" style="">ABV
(alcohol level)[/list][/list]

Thanks, maybe if this works ok, I'll put it up on the web somewhere.... (maybe even let george host it
smiley4.gif
)

Edited by: rshosted

You mean I'm supposed to be keeping track of all this stuff???
smiley3.gif
You expect a lot!!!!!!

I have notes written in about a million places! This sounds like a great solution!

I've been thinking about writing a desktop version myself. What language are you using? Since you're going to share the app, will you make it open source? Edited by: sangwitch

I wish I could discipline myself to write this stuff down but I can
pretty much remember what I do except for that pear wine that I screwed
up which turned out very good. To bad I have no idea how to screw it up
again.

rshosted,

I didn't see sugar content. I may have missed it as I've had a couple of glasses of 5 year old Cab Sav.

Great idea and let us know when it is ready for review.

Cool. Right now I am still playing with the idea. I figure I'll build the database and see how/if I can get it connected. I may try PHP or ASP.

As for being open source? hmmmm. I'll have to see what I come up with. I'm not a programmer or even close, so sharing the crap I come up with might not be too impresive.

I wonder if Medpretzel would be interested in sharing her variable names so that it could be potentially set up for easy syncing.....not that it couldn't be done later.

I remembered one more thing to add; Stiring time.

I would really like to see something that provides this information real time as people are making the wine. That way even when I have a full carboy I could sorta watch what others are making and see what they do...

Anywho. I'll let you all know if I get anything going.... (note: i'm not trying to get people too built up)

just read this rshosted. Just PM me, and I'll dig my old files out. I programmed in C# (I think) using Visual studio.

Don't worry if that sounds chinese (to me it still does), but we can work on something together if you'd like. I'm totally overwhelmed at the moment, so I probably wouldn't be such a great help right now, but like I said, PM me, so I don't lose this thread. :)

M.

Latest posts

Back