Blueberry Wine Questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chopper

Reaction score
This past weekend, I used my new steam juicer to start a one gallon batch of blueberry wine. The steam juicer worked so well; so easy; no more bag in the primary.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
I have some specific questions, so I’ll give the recipe I used (from Jack Keller’s web site):

3 lb frozen blueberries (steam juiced)
1 cup Winexpert red grape concentrate
¾ tsp pectic enzyme
1½ tsp acid blend
1 tsp yeast nutrient
¼ tsp yeast energizer
Water to 1 gallon
Sugar to 1.080 SG
1 pack Lalvin EC-1118 wine yeast

After steam-juicing the blueberries, I poured the juice through a very fine straining bag, into the primary. I inserted a floating thermometer, covered the primary with a clean towel, and placed it in the refrigerator until its temperature reached 75 degrees. I then took it out and began mixing in the other ingredients. I added everything above EXCEPT the wine yeast, and covered with a towel. Then 12 hours later, I added the yeast (no yeast starter; I just sprinkled the yeast on top of the must), and covered with a towel.

The following questions are in regard to the ways I deviated from the recipe:

1. <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Should I have added all ingredients (except yeast) before the juiced cooled? I didn’t know if pectic enzyme would survive in steaming-hot juice. So I waited for the juice to cool to 75 degrees before adding anything.</LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Since I waited 12 hours to add the yeast, should I also have waited till then to add the nutrient and energizer?</LI>
    <LI =Msonormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in">Was there a real need or added benefit to waiting 12 hours to add the yeast? I did this because I’ve read that pectic enzyme needs time to “do its thing” before adding yeast.</LI>
This morning, there’s a thick layer of bubbles on top of the must. However, the fermentation is not “noisy”. My recent batch of strawberry wine could be easily heard while standing over the primary. But it used a different kind of yeast (Red Star Côte des Blancs).

Thanks, and sorry for such a long post.

Chopper

Only thing I would suggest is make 3 gallons next time. It's alot of work and time for about 4 bottles.

Question #1 let it cool

Question #2 no

Question #3 Yes Pectic needs some time but another reason is some add K-met to kill off the wild yeast. You need 12 - 24 hrs for it (k-met)to flash off otherwise it may kill the yeast. Since you probably did not have any wild yeast you are OK

It could be the change of yeast ao just wait and i'm sure it will be noiser.

I'll add that I have made this recipe from Jack's site and it turned out really, really good. I only made a gallon at the time, now have 3 gallons aging and ready to bottle soon.
VPC

PS: It really is good!

How yeast behaves in a wine is subject to many variables. Some wines bubble like crazy, some produce heavy foam and some fizz like soda water. Be happy that your blueberry started so readily since it can be difficult. Just give it time and track the SG to determine if the yeast is doing its thing.

Blueberry wine is one of my favorites and steam-juicing produces an excellent end result.

Back