Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your number is a bit high. Based on the rate meat plants with 1 to 2 K workers are going down I’d guess 1/1000.
I'm in Alabama where Fox News dictates state policy so out of 4.9 million 144k have been tested. Of those 11k are positive, with 473 deaths. That means 1 in 13 in Alabama likely are or have been infected, or about 375k just in Alabama if all here were tested. We have no way of knowing who is infected and who to stay away from so you should stay away from everyone. I went to Lowes last week and now I will buy online and have them bring it to the car. The only people there with mask were the employees, The shoppers could care less who they infected. It's the Old West here, you protect yourself because most here where I am honestly think it's all a hoax and the common flu is worse.
Hate to say it but the brother at GB used to say hoax and today says infringement of constitutional rights. :slp

I really question the 6' feet rule of thumb. I was walking outside to our mailbox yesterday and our neighbor's are having some construction done (ok in phase 1 in WA). The worker was smoking a cigarette and I was smelling the smoke and I was at least 12' away. Wonder what else I could be breathing in? (It wasn't a windy day either)

It's the Old West here, you protect yourself because most here where I am honestly think it's all a hoax and the common flu is worse.

I think it's more like Russian Roulette attitude. Even if they get it THEY won't be the ones that have serious symptoms and they can swagger around blustering about how brave and cavalier they were. I remember one doctor treating a gun shot wound patient that was sure he was going to die. His reasoning was that people in the movies can take several bullets and keep on going. Since his hurt like hell, it must be a fatal wound. I had a splinter the other day that was painful enough. ;)

I remember one doctor treating a gun shot wound patient that was sure he was going to die. His reasoning was that people in the movies can take several bullets and keep on going. Since his hurt like hell, it must be a fatal wound.

To be fair, if I were in a hospital being treated for a gunshot wound, the possibility of my shuffling off this mortal coil would likely be high on my list of concerns, too!

Hey @mainshipfred . Just ran across this and most of it is common sense, or commonly known, but figured I'd pass along.

https://wtop.com/food-restaurant/20...VVdOGGNTw5jpvDroE3a9bWlIvsxhiS5XrUBR-hLsD6G58

I made reservations for Vint Hill which is not on the list but open. We have a pick up for Effingham which they are going to bring to Vint Hill (same Owners and we belong to both) They are doing 2 sessions, the first is 12:45 to 3:00 and the second which we signed up for is 3:45 to 5:30. Was told they sanitize in between. The general public is required to purchase a $50.00 gift certificate which you can use immediately but club members are exempt. We normally spend more than that anyway. We could have also gone to Pearmund which is nice because you are in the middle of their vineyard but Vint Hill plays some really good old music.

I made reservations for Vint Hill which is not on the list but open. We have a pick up for Effingham which they are going to bring to Vint Hill (same Owners and we belong to both) They are doing 2 sessions, the first is 12:45 to 3:00 and the second which we signed up for is 3:45 to 5:30. Was told they sanitize in between. The general public is required to purchase a $50.00 gift certificate which you can use immediately but club members are exempt. We normally spend more than that anyway. We could have also gone to Pearmund which is nice because you are in the middle of their vineyard but Vint Hill plays some really good old music.

Vint Hill is in Prince William County, right? I thought PW wasn't opening.

I am curious how the country survived Mother’s Day.

I observe that we are having a spike in cases 5 days after Mother’s Day, the spike is showing up in counties state wide, however it isn’t as bad as a spike in cases when it starts transmitting in two meat plants.
It will be interesting to see if there is a state wide spike about May 20th which follows after the state Supreme Court struck down safer at home rules, and TV showed packed bars.
EDIT; on Saturday the state reached a new record, doesn’t seem to be related to number of tests since the percent of positives is also spiking up.
OOPs had grand kids first time in nine weeks6B1CB6F8-1DC4-4400-9CCB-A93FCF67AB7F.jpeg, ,, but it was a good Mother’s Day, miss the kids!

Last edited:
You have a good point
I really question the 6' feet rule of thumb. I was walking outside to our mailbox yesterday and our neighbor's are having some construction done (ok in phase 1 in WA). The worker was smoking a cigarette and I was smelling the smoke and I was at least 12' away. Wonder what else I could be breathing in? (It wasn't a windy day either)

I find myself wishing that there was background human behavior information, ex.
the risk in a meat plant with 1000 buddies is—— 1/5
the risk in choir practice with 60 buddies is —— 1/4
the risk in Aldies (food store) with 40 shoppers is — 1/ ?
the risk in Walmart with a store limit of 450 shoppers is — 1/ ?
the risk in a grade school with 24 kids is ——— 1/ ?
the risk in a college dorm with 100 kids is —— 1/ ?
etc etc

To your observation about cigarette smoke, the particle size of smoke is supposed to be significantly smaller than a droplet from sneezing therefore sneezing was calculated to fall to the ground within 2 meters. If we take a smaller molecule like oxygen it has been calculated that everyone alive is breathing a few oxygen molecules that Alexander the Great or Jesus once breathed.

I survived another weekly shopping trip to Wegman's today. Also made a quick Costco run to check meat supplies and look for paper towels. Again, Costco was relatively quiet and the meat department was well stocked. The gentleman walking in ahead of me was politely reminded he needed a mask to enter the store, after which he pulled one out of his pocket and put it on. Aside from that little slow-down, no wait to get in the store. Noted as missing: Brisket, and Prime NY Strip. Plenty of everything else though. I got a pack of Choice Filets and a large pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. BSBs were $2.89/lb. I usually buy them at Wegman's for $1.99/lb, but grabbed the Costco ones since I wasn't sure if Wegman's would have them. Also missing: paper towels. I did see a few people in the store with some in their carts, so I must've just gotten there a little late. No wait getting to the head of the line, and subsequently to the self checkout - someone was just leaving as I walked up.

Next, on to Wegman's for the 'regular' weekly shopping. Meat department was well stocked. Again, they had full Angus packers at $5.99/lb. Plenty of everything else, including the $1.99 BSBs. I noted a very good supply of baby backs and spares. Spares were $4.59/lb, which is up from what I think is normally $3.49 there. Baby backs were $3.79 - I think that's the usual price there. Everything else in the store was available and in stock from milk to produce to chips. Except for paper towels that is.

In short, pretty easy trips today. Crowd size was very manageable. Meat was in good supply, albeit a little more expensive than normal for some things. Paper towels are gold, pure gold, and are as easy to find as leprechauns.

Glad to hear that Jim, our meat supplies seem just fine too, maybe some lessons learned from the toilet paper shortages. We have paper goods, limited choices and amounts but plenty overall. Our main shortages seem to be mostly kitchen cleaners and sanitizers. Other than that the amount people are buying seems to be much smaller quantities but my main complaint is the lack of people wearing masks. At Walmart yesterday my rough guess would be about 75 to 80 percent NOT wearing them.

Still expecting to see a rise or blow up in cases in the next couple of weeks but truly hoping I'm wrong.
Mike

No wait getting to the head of the line, and subsequently to the self checkout - someone was just leaving as I walked up.

Interesting and it may just be that you never mentioned it but at our local supermarket there are staff at the self checkout sanitizing the station between customers so you are not touching the screen or the credit card reader (if you are using a debit card it asks for your password) and your groceries are not on an uncleaned deck where someone may have shed viral material.

I passed a golf course the other day, looked like 4somes to me, but maybe they were being bad (no one would possibly break the rules, thinking mulligans here).
I’ll be headed downashore this weekend. The beaches are essentially fully opened. Supposed to be social distancing, but households obviously do not have to keep distance. Which means everyone will be in their groups as they would normally. And I don’t see how it can be enforced anyway.
The only difference will be 1 lifeguard per stand instead of 2.

unfortunately (or fortunately?) it’s supposed to rain Friday & Saturday. Sunday should be a madhouse though.

Latest posts

Back