Corona Virus & Day to Day

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, this is really getting serious now. Normally, I can count on Lowe's and Home Depot having Memorial Day sales that drastically cut the price of Kingsford Charcoal. A twin pack of 20lb bags usually goes for $20 (or more), but around Memorial Day, they drop the price to under $10 ($9.88, $9.99, something like that). This year, that $19.99 deal is marked down a whopping $3 to $16.99. Usually, I stock up at this time of year; but for three bucks, I'm not going to take the risk of making a special trip to Lowes.

Whining over...
Darnet, I was about to head to Hanover and get two two packs, guess I'll go with the lump at my local Ace hardware, they'll drag it out and put it in your trunk, no risk at all.

Please give up the Kingsford or any other briquettes and use hardwood lump charcoal.
Yes, it will cost a little more but it's like having butter instead of margarine!

Agree. And I use a lot of lump too. There's a lot of 'junk lump' out there, but I've had good luck with Royal Oak or Wegman's brand (which is made by RO)

That's what I'm going with. Just a tad cheaper than the Lowe's deal. Unfortunately, a limit of 2. But that should carry me until the 4th of July, when Lowe's will have a sale to get rid of their overstock. 🤣 😂
I bought 6 x 20 lb bags about nine weeks ago, I'm down to a hand full. I don't understand why I'm grilling so much more? 🙃

Also almost out of propane, I had a full 20 pounder plus about half of one one the grill.

Smiths (Kroger) had the 16lb Kingsford on sale for $6.99 this week so I picked up a couple bags yesterday with my $3/lb Brisket...... :db

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 10.56.57 AM.png

I use the lump for long cooks in the Kamado but like the charcoal for short cooks on the Weber.

That's what I'm going with. Just a tad cheaper than the Lowe's deal. Unfortunately, a limit of 2. But that should carry me until the 4th of July, when Lowe's will have a sale to get rid of their overstock. 🤣 😂

I bought 6 x 20 lb bags about nine weeks ago, I'm down to a hand full. I don't understand why I'm grilling so much more? 🙃

Also almost out of propane, I had a full 20 pounder plus about half of one one the grill.

I need to check my propane status. Aside from using the patio heater a few weeks ago, it's been a while. I'm getting some parts I wanted for my Genesis for my birthday and am going to give it a good cleaning and parts swap this weekend. Will be 'cooking with gas', as they say, soon.

Please give up the Kingsford or any other briquettes and use hardwood lump charcoal.
Yes, it will cost a little more but it's like having butter instead of margarine!

Personally, I use a mix. I lay a loose base of briquettes on the grill, and I start a chimney of ~3/4 lump and ~1/4 briquettes (that were left over from last grilling). Then I dump the lit chimney on the base. Best of both worlds, IMHO.

Well, there is always a risk. ;) That said, they are saying it is harder to get CV19 from surface contact than originally thought. It is still possible so just don't be stupid.
I usually leave it in my trunk until I remember to get it out, could be four or five days at least.

Plus I have a Toyota Corona, already tested positive.

Plus, plus I'm more worried about exposing people to me since my wife works in an operating room that regularly does surgeries on COVID positive patients. If I stay in the car and pop the trunk, all they have to do is put it in, I get out after they walk away and close the trunk (they know me pretty well, have discussed the procedure with them in the beginning of this).

Last edited:
Google up make your own chaarcoal. Havn't tried it yet, but looks pretty easy and once you get the setup should be pretty cheap if you can get some hardwood to make it out of. Arne.

I love this. Only on WMT could the LONE thread about Coronavirus spiral off into a discussion of preferred BBQ fuels! On another forum that I pay some attention to, it has been just the opposite: EVERY thread has devolved into a coronavirus discussion.

Here's to us, none finer.

how bad could unleaded summer blend be?

Isn't it funny that 45 years after catalytic converters were introduced (and ~30 years after leaded gas was essentially unavailable, and 24 years after it was actually unavailable), we still say "unleaded"? And I suppose we always will....

Back