corking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barryjo

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been told that using corksin bottles that came with screw-type caps will cause the bottles mouth to fracture. This from someone who is trying to go commercial. He discards all the screw type bottles he acquires.
Should I get in line for his discards????
PS. Just got back into wine making. I have a plum (store-bought) that appears to be coming along very nicely. 12.4abv.
Thanks

A couple point here. First, the screw cap bottles can work but do indeed break sometimes so you chance losing wine if they do. I don't chance it and only use cork type bottles with corks.

Secondly, if your friend goes commercial you can stand in line to get all his current bottles once he drinks them. As soon as he goes commercial, he can't reuse bottles at all - screw type or otherwise. Commercially sold wines need to be bottled in new/ never used bottles every time.

Good point Appleman. That is how I am so fortunate to get all the free bottles that I do from a local winery.

The glass thickness on screw type bottles is not as thick as cork bottles. You can, and will easily break them. This public service announcement is brought to you by first hand experiance.
smiley2.gif

Thanks to all for the replies. I may try taster corks. They are supposedly good for about a years storage. Also might consider #8 corks. Slightly smaller diameter.
And this is why this hobby is so much fun. And you get to consume the mistakes.
Salut!

Latest posts

Back