Construction adhesive

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce53

Reaction score
I am constructing a grape crusher based on a new idea. What wood adhesives (glue) can I use assuming the grape juice contact with the unit will be only momentary? How about Gorilla glue? Many thanks...

Depends on what you are gluing. For big pieces of wood Sub-floor adhesive is good. If its where contact of grapes or juice Gorilla may work BUT, dont know if its food grade.

What ever glue you decide to use make sure that it food grade where are those pictures so we have a better ideal how to help you

If its the big round drum that presses the grapes it had better be waterproof. Personally I think Gorilla glues sucks. Id go with Franklins Tite Bond 2 is proven stronger and lasts longer under weathered conditions and is much less messy to use!!!! For the best water prrof glue there is, Resorcinal 2 part glue was the best but DAP stopped making ot for some reason.

to be safe why not just use good brass screws or stainless steel then you don't gotta worry about contamination am I not right? Normally even on smaller pieces of wood you can pre-drill the holes as not to bust the wood. just my thoughts on it

Thanks guys... Some good ideas for me and much appreciated. I am a nubie or whatever. My third try at some good wine. Photos coming...

The big question is: in presses and crushers, where the contact with the must is only momentary, does the material matter. I realize that in the later, longer phases where contact is in days or months, I need to be very careful with material.
A related question: can I safely use good marine plywood in construction?
Thanks for the help...

myself I wouldn't use marine grade plywood as it's been treated big time

I agree with Sirs as to not use plywood and to use white oak or pine at the least. I wouldnt recommend to many other wods but wouldnt worry about using the Titebond II glue. I would not use construction adhesive though even for that short term contact.

Picture of crusher coming when a bit more developed. Here is a pic of my press. Not entirely my design. Floor jack with one and a half tons. Basket about five gallons. Need a bigger tray and need to use nylon straps on basket instead of galvanized iron....

Any drawings or pix?

Back