Confused on making a semi sweet red wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braden

Reaction score
Trying to decide on a red wine to make. As I can see from the information on the kits all of them seem to be dry. I don’t like dry wine nor super sweet. I just want something in between. Do all of the kits come with sweeteners? If they don’t how do I sweeten the wine? Can I sweeten any red wine? And how to go about that?

Trying to decide on a red wine to make. As I can see from the information on the kits all of them seem to be dry. I don’t like dry wine nor super sweet. I just want something in between. Do all of the kits come with sweeteners? If they don’t how do I sweeten the wine? Can I sweeten any red wine? And how to go about that?

Most, if not all, kits come with an additive packet of Potassium Sorbate, it's sort of like birth control for yeast, it doesn't kill active yeast, but prevents them from multiplying into a colony capable of converting sugar to alcohol. If you follow the steps through the kit making process, most will have you add sulfite and sorbate in a step typically called "Stabilizing". Once that is done, you can add sugar to taste to sweeten up the wine, the sorbate will prevent any remaining yeast from being able to act upon the newly added sugar. Personally, I believe it best to let the wine sit a while to degas and clear before trying to taste and sweeten wine, that way the taste isn't affected by sediment and CO2 still trapped inside. If you go that route, consider letting the wine sit for 3 - 6 months, racking off of sediment as needed, adding 1/4 tsp sulfite at each 3 month interval. At the last interval before sweetening, rack off of the sediment, add your sulfite and sorbate (which you've saved til now), wait a couple of days, then sweeten to taste. Might be prudent to wait a few more days afterwards to bottle, just to make sure the wine is still.

I don't believe all kits come with sweetener. There are products sold to sweeten wine, I think they are called wine conditioners. The few time I back sweeten I made simple syrup. It's typically 2 parts sugar to one part water. You boil the water, add the sugar and stir until it becomes clear and let it cool. Then you just add it till you get the sweetness you want. FWIW I often found the flavor is different the next day so don't add too much and as a safety precaution I would take John's advice of waiting a few days to bottle.

follow the kit instructions for fermentation racking and adding sulfite and sorbate. wait until wine clear about three months add K-meta at dosage of 1/4 tsp for 5 gallons. then commence with a bench trial. first mix a sugar syrup, two cup sugar to one cup hot water, mix in a blender. wait until syrup cools. obtain 1/4 cup sample of the wine possibly three. add 1/4 tsp of syrup to first , two time this to second and three time this to third do taste tests. continue with additional sample if needed adding 1/4 tsp each time. back off the one you like as wine will get sweeter with time. 1/4 cup is 60ml and 1/4 tsp is 1.25 ml should be able to calculate amount required to add to main batch. at that time add k-meta and sorbate. wait one week if not fermenting bottle.

Follow SALCOCO's directions and you will be able to make that wine exactly as you want.
Keep in mind that BIG RED wines are known for their bold tastes and it may take a significant effort to reach the balance you want.

Don't let that deter you.

The greatest part about this hobby is that you only have to please yourself and those you serve your wine to. Some wines I make - I make ONLY for me and don't waste them by giving them to others with different preferences in wine.

Latest posts

Back