compare oak cubes with barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrycrush

Reaction score
I'd like to hear comment from people who have used both barrels and oak cubes. Does the cubes come any close in aroma effect to barrels?

The barrel is not so much an oak injection system as it is a micro oxygenation and concentration through evaporation machine. You can simulate the oak experience with adjuncts but none of the most important aspects mentioned above.

Barrels are unique in their properties. You can come close with something like a flex tank that breathes plus oak additives. But I think you can never truly mimic a barrel.

Barrels are unique in their properties. You can come close with something like a flex tank that breathes plus oak additives. But I think you can never truly mimic a barrel.

Any good oak additive that you recommend?

Has anyone tried to use a neutral barrel to concentrate an aromatic white wine like vionier or gewurz?

Why would you use a neutral barrel on a Viognier. Why not a good oak barrel? Probably not on the Gewurztraminer though.

To concentrate flavors. For instance if there was a heavy rainfall just before harvest. Or if you're making kits and added too much water or something.

Back