WineXpert Combining 2 kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmorosco

Reaction score
Ok got one for ya's....I have a 16 gallon fermenter that I would like to do 2 kits of the same brand in together ..When it comes to all the chemical Packets and adding them do I add all of the packets like I was making 2 individual kits? I think I know that the answer will be yes but I want to hear from some of you that actually have done this..
smiley10.gif

I'm sure you could do it this way, but why? Have you considered moving it around to handle it? Also when you rack it to secondary, do you have a 12 gallon carboy or will you split it then. Unless you don't have enough primary buckets, I would do them individually and make handling easier. This is just my opinion.
smiley4.gif

I would say you would use everything except maybe both packets of yeast. I am not sure how much volume a packet of yeast is good for. It might just be 6 gallons so maybe you would use both. I don't see how it would hurt if you did.

As other stated, it will be a bugger to move around. I have a 10 gallon fermenter and use it for 6 gallon batches all the time, particularly grape pack kit. It is kinda hard to move around with just 6 gallons in it as it is not a hard plastic like the buckets, but rather like a trash can.

One otherthing you can do to is email Wine Expert and ask them for a definitive answer. They are very good about answering their emails quickly.

Smurfe Edited by: smurfe

Actually the yeast packets only say 5 gallons but everyone I know
including the companies use these to do 6 gallon batches. Funny Huh!
What 2 kits are you mixing together as you might throw the acid balance
off and have 12 gallons of something that might not turn out good.
Beware! Not to mention you will void all warranties!

Edited by: wade

Wade, I think they are talking about 2 of the same kits like 2 of the same Merlot's or something like that. I remember seeing something about the 5 gallon thing before to but have heard as well you only really need a pinch of yeast to get a fermentation going so I just didn't know for sure. Like I had said, I doubt both packs would harm anything and I remember someone here used 2 packs in their regular kits to be on the safe side.

Smurfe

WE says you can do up to 12 kits at a time (that is why I carry the 300 liter tank). After 12 kits, the yeast will create too much heat and you will need a cooling unit for the wine.
Just use all of the packet like any kit and it should be fine.

So I can make wine and heat my house all in one. Now thats MULTI-tasking!
smiley4.gif

George,

Back in the '80s I was visiting sugar/alcohol mills in Brazil, where they were making E85 for cars. Their fermenters were about 20k gallons, and need massive internal cooling coils due to heat prodiction. They had the process optimized to the point where they could get about 20% abv in 5 days!!

After that they distill it in commercial columns like an oil refinery. There are QC take-offs at about every 10% abv level. One of my coworkers once took a dozen 1 L square glass bottles in and filled them from the 75% tap, and corked them. (The liquor made from sugar cane in Brazil is called penga. It is used to make a tasty drink called a ciperrinia, using lime juice, sugar, and penga - the 45% abv version.)

When my coworker was returning through customs the inspector opened the case with the 12 bottles of raw penga and asked, "Whats's this?"

"Penga"

"What are you going to do with it?"

"I'm going to use it to synthesize acetaldehyde." (Acetaldehyde is what a breatholizer tests.)

"OK. Pass."

(PWP - sorry if I blew the back of your brain off again with the chemistry.
smiley2.gif
)

Great answer. If you can't dazzle them with brillance, then baffle them with BS. I think your coworker got them on both accounts.

What if you put two 10 litre juice paks in and therefore less water. Would this throw the wine way off. Excuse me if this is a real stupid question
smiley7.gif
but I am new at this and was just wondering......If this is OK would Iputall pkgs in? Edited by: goatster

I have heard of people making these into 5 gallon kits because some can
be a little thin but you would obviously be voiding the warranty. I'm
not sure on that and might be high or low on acid as I'm not sure if
the acid is corrected in the juice or in packages but would suspect to
be a lkittle off and probably on the high side seeing as how there
would be less water.

Whether you use two 10 liter kits, two 15 liter kits or one of each, you will end up with 12 gallons of reconstituted must if you follow instructions. If you prepare a must of less than 12 gallons, there is a risk that something will be out of balance. How much you would be out of balance will depend on how much more or less than 12 gallons you ended up with in the primary. I would suggest you follow the instructions regarding reconstitution of the juice until you are comfortable with the process. If you do two kits at the same time in a single primary, use all packages provided.

I met a fellow Winemaker in St. Louis that makes kits 6 at a pop. He said by doing that he gets a better ferment. I didn't have the time or bio-knowledge to get into it with him in detail, but he says that is his secret to a few ribbons in competitions he enters. I personnally think he makes so much, his kits have a chance to age. He has a large primary, and lots of carboys, and demi-johns. He also has many happy friends and relatives, along with a very happy supplier. I just don't have that kind of coin to drop on this hobby.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back