Co2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winesilly

Reaction score
I racked a batch of Peach wine from a kit on the 22nd and today I had a chance to filter it and when I went to take the solid bung off of the top of carboy it made a pop sound. My question is should I go ahead and bottle it or does that mean that I still have to much gas in the wine. Should I go ahead and try to degas it more before I bottle. The kit is a Niagara Mist Peach Chardonnay with a mist booster added.

did you follow the instructions on the kit. it does sound that you need to degas somemore. it would not hurt to let it stay in the carboy for month before bottling.

If you are removing a sold bug, and it makes a pop, it sounds more like a vacuum than pressure. Pressure from CO2 would have pushed out the bung.

did you follow the instructions on the kit. it does sound that you need to degas somemore. it would not hurt to let it stay in the carboy for month before bottling.

yes I did follow the instructions on the kit and I add a mist booster to up the alcohol % of the wine.

If you are removing a sold bug, and it makes a pop, it sounds more like a vacuum than pressure. Pressure from CO2 would have pushed out the bung.

Ok thanks, is there any test to see if there is any more gas in the wine.

the pop is from co2 in the carboy not a vacuum. degas again.

if you want a test pour some in a small bottle shake with your finger over the opening remove finger it goes pop you have gas.

the time it takes to degas is small compared to the risk you take bottling a gassy wine. it will stay gassing and fizzy when you pour later.

Last edited:
the pop is from co2 in the carboy not a vacuum. degas again.

if you want a test pour some in a small bottle shake with your finger over the opening remove finger it goes pop you have gas.

the time it takes to degas is small compared to the risk you take bottling a gassy wine. it will stay gassing and fizzy when you pour later.

You cold also simply taste it. Does it taste fizzy??

Latest posts

Back