CO2 Charger

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbwii

Reaction score
Ok I watched a how to make kit wine video and they recommended using a CO2 charger to "shoot" CO2 into the Carboy before racking and into the bottles before bottling. Is this really necessary and what purpose does it serve?

Can you give us this link? C02 is the lesser preferred gas to use but only needed if you are low in the carboy. A topped off carboy or bottle of wine does not need this at all, I really dont honestly think doing this to a bottle is a good idea as corking it with the C02 in there could actually compress the gas into the wine and if youve made wine you know we try hard to get the C02 out of the wine!!!!!!! In the carboy I wouldnt worry about that though as its pretty hard to integrate C02 into wine with forcing it like corking or some kind of strong pressure.

So would this be an option to replace topping off the carboy with liquid after racking off Lees?

Hi Wade It's not a link its actually a DVD that came with my equipment. Everything else he did seems to conform with the instructions for my ingredient kit but yeah I found it strange (especially bottling) because trapped CO2 can apparently cause bottles to explode or pop corks right?

Was it a beer video? Cuz I know doin that with beer bottles its a good thing. Only problem with wine is that you work so hard to get the co2 out that it would be silly to put it back in right at the end. I see the thought behind it since air spoils wine and co2 don't but the air won't carbonate it and that small amount of air won't ruin the bottle.

And trapping co2 won't cause a cork to pop as far as I know. Its just when you have wine producing Co2 while bottled, then as it produces it the pressure increases as well causing the cork to pop. But trapping a little co2 in there without the wine producing any more shouldn't cause a problem. It'll just be like sparkling wine.

I'm gunna look into that, I don't like searching for something to to my wines off every rack. Seems like a greed idea since I never bulk age longer than 6 months

Use of inert gasses will not really work when your carboy is sealed with a fermentation trap. Professional wineries use inert gas only when the storage container has an air tight seal. Unless you "cap" your carboy, do not waste your time and money on an inert gas setup!

Argon:

http://winesaverpro.com/argon.php

But the product I think the OP is talking about is one that was supplied by Midwest - can't recall the name, can't find it on the site - that was a can of gas you could shoot on top of the carboy or bottle. Never have used anything like that, myself. Don't see the need.

Use of inert gasses will not really work when your carboy is sealed with a fermentation trap. Professional wineries use inert gas only when the storage container has an air tight seal. Unless you "cap" your carboy, do not waste your time and money on an inert gas setup!

But won't the gas create a wall on to of the wine so the air don't touch it? It don't matter if co2 pushes the gas out, as long as air doesn't come in contact with the wine. Right?

But won't the gas create a wall on to of the wine so the air don't touch it? It don't matter if co2 pushes the gas out, as long as air doesn't come in contact with the wine. Right?

If you are using a fermentation trap, any inert gas in your carboy will be expelled in favor of air. This is because carboys "breathe".

A tem and pressure changes occur, the gas in the carboy will expand and contract. This forces out the inert gas, and pulls in air from the outside.

Of course, you could combat this by keeping the carboy as full as possible, but since this minimizes the amount of air contacting your wine, there is not point to it inert gas all.

I would advise against it. Put your money into a good ph meter instead.

Either marbles or a quality store bought wine of a simular type. I prefer the store bought wine for two reasons..

1) you need to find food grade glass marbles (Make sure that there is no lead content in the marbles).

2) it goes without saying that you will have some left over storebought wine.... HMMMMMM, what should be done with that????? (Wink, Wink, Nudge, Nudge).

John
I must agree with everything u already mentioned.
I believe always topping off is the best solution -
I come up with air bladder bags that would take up that space in the Carboy and it really never took off. It is easier just to top off with store bought or similiar

John
I must agree with everything u already mentioned.
I believe always topping off is the best solution -
I come up with air bladder bags that would take up that space in the Carboy and it really never took off. It is easier just to top off with store bought or similiar

Thanks VPM! Got to say that the bladder idea may yet take off!

Latest posts

Back