Clinitest

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce53

Reaction score
Every book on homemaker's wine refers to Clinitests as if it was a popular test for wine. There are only three in most drugstores; one for testing sugar in urine, one for testing sugar in blood and one for testing blood in urine. None for testing sugar in wine. Which should I use?
Thanks...

Use the one for sugar in urine

Every book on homemaker's wine refers to Clinitests as if it was a popular test for wine. There are only three in most drugstores; one for testing sugar in urine, one for testing sugar in blood and one for testing blood in urine. None for testing sugar in wine. Which should I use?
Thanks...

Hi Bruce,

I've read there are some applications for using the Clinitest product for sugar testing in wine. I've never used it myself. I use a hydrometer to measure my starting SG, usually 1.090. I try to achieve as low an SG as I can acchieve, usually just below 1.000, which is the SG of distilled H2O.

In regards to your question, you would want the one that measures sugar (reducing substances) in urine. The tablet does not care if it is urine or wine, so it is fine for detecting low amounts of sugar in wine. Keep in mind it is not normal to see sugar in urine, and is used in the clinical environment for detecting low levels of sugar. Be advised that you will need a clear glass test tube to perform the test in. Also be careful as it is hazardous and generates heat.

You mentioned testing for sugar in blood. It's normal to have sugar in blood. I question if it would be of any value to you. Testing for blood in urine would also be of no use.

I'm interested in understanding your application with this product.

Paul

Clinitest...

Thanks guys...
I read somewhere that the clinitests are a good way to determine total dryness because the hydrometer is no longer accurate when there is alcohol dilution. I shall give a try anyhow...
Skoal to the northland, Skoal

Sugar in Wine

Bruce, If I'm not mistaking, it is the refractometer that is effected by increased alcohol, not the hydrometer. Also, there are correction tables for the hydrometer. Specific Gravity reading taken with a refractometer that are <.996 indicated complete fermentation and in general, the abscence of sugar.

Key things here are:
1- Have a starting SG of =>1.085 to achieve the desired alcohol levels of 12%
2- A final SG of <1.000... preferably .996 indicates complete fermentation

The clinatest will validate low levels of sugar as well, but most rely on low SG values taken by hydrometer or refractometer with conversion charts.

Back to your ogriginal question, the product that measures low levels of sugar in urine is the product you are looking for if you choose to use it.

A hydrometer is pretty darn accurate as is the refractometer but there is math involved in using the refractometer after fermentation is going. Usually you need s spread sheet to determine. The tool that is not accurate is a Vinometer and that is if there is residual sugar in a fermented batch of wine.

My local Winery uses this test to back sweeten, He said it works well for that but that's the only thing it's used for.

I'm going to get one to play with for a batch and try it on the back sweetening

Latest posts

Back