Clearing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petey

Reaction score
Sparkaloid or bentonite. Witch do you prefer ?
I've always used sparkaloid for my DB but my lhbs had a pound of bentonite for $4

I always use Sparkalloid, but it makes the goop fluffy at the bottom.

I only bentonite when it comes with a kits. And the directions usually have me add it at the beginning of the process.

I wanted to try superkleer but my LHBS does not carry it!

I have been using bentonite in the beginning when i add the rest of my ingredients then I use sparkollid after the second or third racking after primary fermentation and most of the wines i have made clear within a week of adding the sparkollid, some actually clear in a few days.

I have used super-kleer that came with some of my kits which come with bentonite as well and it really does a great job of clearing my kit wines.

Robie,
Can you make a sticky out of that. Think lots of us would like to have it as a reference. Thanks, Arne.

I use neither.

I age for 2 years and cold stabilize/rack in between.

John,
Can you give me a brief rundown on how you are cold stabilizing/racking exactly? or shoot me in the direction of where I can read about it. I get the racking every 2-3 months, but not understanding exactly how to mix in cold stabilizing, when to do it, when not, etc.
Thanks.

I was off doing some other searching and I found this after reading your last post.

It is a copy and paste from here

http://www.homebrewit.com/winebook.pdf

Page 17

• Cold stabilizing Cold stabilizing causes tartaric acid to precipitate as potassium bitartrate crystals when the wine is being chilled. Because the procedure works on tartaric acid, it will only work effectively on grape wines. The wine must be fermented out. You can cold stabilize the wine by placing it in a cold spot (between -4 and 5 deg C) for a week or two. The wine will get cloudy and crystals will form on the bottom of the carboy. Wait untill the sediment has settled and rack when the wine is still cold. For best effect you can add a small amount of potassium bitartrate first, so that the crystals will form more easily.

I haven't needed to do it, so I don't know anything......

Unless it's a pectin haze it'll all fall out in the end.... Can't rush a good thing young Jedi...:ib:ib:ib

The easiest and best way to clear wine is to just let it sit for a few months. It will be crystal clear on its own without having to add any ingredients which can change the flavor profile.
Some of the best winemakers in the world live by the motto that the wine makes itself.

Clearing questions…
28 Day Kit
Vino Del Vida Wine Kit
Bourdailles – White

Day 1: 23 Nov 2013, Saturday
Add Yeast to must
SG @ 1.081
Temp @ 32 c / 89 f
Colour of must is brownish.
Day 8: 30 Nov 2013, Saturday
SG @ 1.012
Temp @ 23 c / 73 f
Racked the must / wine
Day 19: 11 Dec 2013, Wednesday
SG @ .999 (for 3 days)
Temp @ 22 c / 71 f
Racked the wine to Primary
Degassed
Add Sulphite
Add Sorbate
Add Sweetener
Add Bentonite
Rack the wine to Secondary
Add Gelatin
Add Kieselsol
Top-up Carboy
Day 22: 14 Dec 2013, Saturday
I do observe the accumulated slush at the bottom of the carboy however the wine colour is still quite brownish.
Questions:
1. The (white) Wine is still brown and I would like to ensure I have done everything to clarify. I was using Gelatin as I have a friend’s relative who died from a fish allergy traced to the Chitosan within the homemade wine. Is the clarifying a case of further patience, I am not seeing any signs of the wine clearing.
2. Within a previous post a reference material noted the use of polyvinylpolypyrrolidone (pvpp), is there a name better known by retails outlets? Can it be bought at a local wine supply store?
3. I also see a thread posted which recommends Super-Kleer? Is it a fish based product?
Many Thanks to all who offer assistance.

I used superkleer for the first time on some skeeter pee. It was crystal clear in 24 hours

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Note that superkleer kc is a two part solution that includes chitosan. If you are trying to avoid fish-based items, that is not the one to use.
Heather

I have a couple of these products, but have never used them. I like aging for clearing. If I just have to bottle something that I'm in a hurry to drink, then I guess it won't be in the bottle long enough to produce much sediment.

I add bentonite to the primary, but you really have to mix it well. I use a hand blinder and it works great.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Latest posts

Back