Clearing wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I add bentonite to the primary, but you really have to mix it well. I use a hand blinder and it works great.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making
I always put it in a pint jar with 1/2c of water and give it a good shake every once in a while, while I'm getting all the other ing. in

Just used Super Kleer on my first batch of wine ever. I'm making a white. It started to clump right in front of my eyes in about a minute after adding part two. I put a flashlight behind the carboy and pulled up a chair. I watched the swirling particles slowly fall to the bottom for about 10 minutes. I was so excited and amazed at how well things were working. I was really worried that I didn't degas well enough. Guess I did. The only bad thing is that I can't give it to people wish a dish allergy. I can't wait to see what it's gonna look like. We are so lucky that people thought of this stuff. I really take all of this for granted. I used bentonite during primary, and Super Kleer for final. I will finish with 5, and 1 micron house filter using the AIO then bottle. If this works, I'm just gonna stick with Super Kleer.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

ImageUploadedByWine Making1400030674.343405.jpg

This is one after adding part two of Super Kleer. Can't wait to see the end result! :)

I just used something called Isenglass(sp?) not even an hour ago in my 6 gal of Dragons blood. Looked up from the dinner table while eating and did a triple take!!!! The entire batch is crystal clear!!! WOW! I'm still amazed.... Ready to bottle I guess :)

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Just wondering why this a Sticky topic. After a quick read thru most of the thread, it was never a reasonable tutorial on clearing or clearing agents.

Steve

I need some advice. Our first batch of banana wine is sitting at .0998, I know we are supposed to wait 2-3 days to make sure it stays there. If it does, should I go ahead and add the meta? It's not even close to being clear, so at this point should we add the clearing agent? It's the 2-part kind and from what I've read on here it's made of fish or something? We just don't know in what order to add everything. We haven't back sweetened it yet either and we need to do that as well. So should we clear it first, backsweeten, add sorbate or should we just let it sit in the carboy for a few months to see if it clears on it's own? We have read that banana sometimes is very difficult to clear as well. What would we add if this doesn't work?

Thanks in advance!

My banana wine that I started march 2014 is setting in bulk age. It is not crystal clear and I believe it will not fall crystal clear. The is clear, but just looks semi-opaque?

CIMG1079.jpg

I always just let it sit 2 months then put it into another carboy with a clear hose. Just not let it touch the bottom

Not sure if I'm going to go with sparkalloid or superkleer

I made this Viogner and followed the instructions but realized that they were generalized instructions in the kit and didn't apply to the premium 6 week kit....not amused with All-Juice Master's Edition right now for that and other reasons. So I rushed the wine and now it won't clear....or it only clears to a certain point and then STOPPED. I don't want to wait a month so I'm leaning towards using superkleer. I'm not sure what's in those All-Juice kits...they just had something marked siligel and liquigel.

If anyone knows what siligel and liquigel is please let me know!!!

(As you can see in the picture, I can read a newspaper through the top 25% of the carboy and that's where the clearing seems to have stalled....it hasn't cleared more than that in about two weeks now.

SAM_0479.jpg

I have a beaverdale sav blanc kit that tastes good but has been clearing for 6 days now to no avail. It s still very cloudy and looks to be stuck there. What can I do as it has now begun to aquire a slight smell of pineapples mixed with sulphur.

It's only been 6 days -- I wouldn't panic about the clearing yet.

Which kind of sulfur smell -- like rotten eggs or like burnt match?

If truth be known, its more on the eggy side than anything, but its very faint. I took my neighbours advice and set about whizzing it again with my whizzer stick and I got a fair amount of froth. Its a creamy froth as opposed to big bubbles which is one inch thick on the top of the mix in the carboy and it takes 15 mins to go away. I have whisked it 7 times today and there are still loads of creamy bubbles.

I got this when I degassed it before and by my reckoning I whizzed it every 30 mins for 3 days so it got a hell of a good rattling. I began to think I was simply reintroducing air into the mix so that's why I pushed ahead with clearing it.

How the hell could this kit wine get so carbonated, I have never seen this before. It started at 1082 and finished at 992 after a racking at 1010. The temp was in the 20 to 23 degrees range and it has quite a good nose, or did have, and its dry-ish.

Its been stabalised and I put 5 crushed campden tablets in it after re racking it last week. Could this be where the smell comes from, I wonder. Im heating it back up to 26 degrees in order to get more gas out but I don't want to oxidise it ifg I can help it. Its the wine on my window ledge in my other post entitles after 8 weeks........ Its still the same look as in the picture.

007 (3).jpg

008 (5).jpg

008 (2).jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back