clearing in cool temps

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaniJ323

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I gotta couple of quick questions.

I've got a VR Mezza Luna Red, been 2 weeks since stabilizing and finning and it's still cloudy. I've been told that it' s because we keep the house too cold (68 degrees). Other than the obvious... what can I do to clear my wine? It was explained to me that some finning agents require warmer temps than others. Should I just beginning using other finning agents from now on? and which ones? I did buy some sparkeloid...will that work in cooler temps?

Also, Ive got an Island Mist fermenting. Because I don't really expect to drink 30 bottles of it in a year, (I may surprise myself) can i add some sulfite to help it keep longer?

Thanks Guys ;o)

Sometimes the clearing agents work slower than expected. In such case, the wine will start clearing from the top down over a few weeks. They clear better at about 72 F or a little above that.

However, CO2 left in the wine can cause clearing agents to not work as directed.

Did you degas the wine before you added clearing agent?
At what temperature did you degas? Should have been at approx 72 F to about 78. I like 76 F, myself. It is hard to get all the gas out at low temperatures.

MIST WINE:
Mist wines are not formulated to last as long as normal, full-strength kit wine. However, a year is not bad. You can add 1/4 teaspoon of Kmeta, then go ahead and bottle it if it is clear. It should last a year, but I wouldn't try for any longer than a year.

Last edited:
I have no idea what temp I degassed at. I'm assuming 68 cuz that's where we (he lol) keeps the house at. I use a drill attachment to degas and I stir till it no longer bubbles. As far as I can tell, I've degassed well enough.

Ive seen those silver jackets for carboys that help keep 'em warm. I'm thinking I should just go ahead and invest in one.

:eek:)

I have no idea what temp I degassed at. I'm assuming 68 cuz that's where we (he lol) keeps the house at. I use a drill attachment to degas and I stir till it no longer bubbles. As far as I can tell, I've degassed well enough.

Ive seen those silver jackets for carboys that help keep 'em warm. I'm thinking I should just go ahead and invest in one.

:eek:)
I doubt it. When you degas you should "stir" not whip or froth. Most don't degas enough. Not degassing enough can delay clearing. What clearing agent did you use.
Give it time...

Everytime I am having a clearing problem I degas again. Never get it all at first. I degas at warmer temp and clear at cooler temps. At cooler temps CO2 will remain locked up

If you degassed or tried to degas at 68* then you most liekly didnt do a good job as C02 is not easiloy removed at that temp and should be about 75* to do a good job at it. Warmer temps make C02 come out much easier and when it is out of suspension it makes your wine much easier to clear due to the gases keeping the sediment in suspension.

Well then temperature is the issue weather it's clearing or degassing. Unfortunately I don't have control over the thermostat. Has anyone ever used one of those silver jackets for carboys or have another ideas to warm up the must before degassing?

How about a heating pad? Put it underneath the carboy (careful) stick a fermometer on the side ( about 1.30) monitor carefully and when it gets to 75 degas

Last summer I kept my wine cellar very cool. It took forever to clear. As others have said, degass and if possible warm the wine up. If you can't it will clear but it will take longer.

Is there an area where the sun shines in that that room may be warmer. Don't put it in the sun light but that area may be warmer.

When I ferment my wines, after they are thru fermenting I will splash rack to remove the majority of the CO2 then add sparkelloid. I can see it begin to clear the next day.

I use a Brew belt in these cooler temps to keep my wine around 75* until it doesnt need to be anymore.

Latest posts

Back