clearing agents

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
Are any of yall using the bentonite? Are you likeing it? I've noticed that is appears to be the most economical way to clear wine. When I did my Island Mist kit it has isinglas. That stuff started working right away but it looks like you have to buy a package for every wine that you want to clear. Is isinglas ok for fruit wines?

Sure is OK for fruit wines. There are other fining agents some better than others. Remember this hobby (obsession) you should not cut many corners. I spent the $ and bought a Mini-Jet filter and was well worth it when you can see the difference. Likewise, with using other products to enhance your winemaking.

Bentonite is 1 of the gentlest fining agents there is. I have never tried it at the nd but i always add it in the beginning as it will help rid the wine of any possible protein haze.

tepe said:
Sure is OK for fruit wines. There are other fining agents some better than others. Remember this hobby (obsession) you should not cut many corners. I spent the $ and bought a Mini-Jet filter and was well worth it when you can see the difference. Likewise, with using other products to enhance your winemaking.

Yeah, I need one of those Mini - Jet filter thingies I expect. I've heard rumors though that some people suspect that they remove some flavor. It need investigating

That may be. BUTT, I don't see-taste that. I use only #2 filter. If you use the sterile filter I would agree. I personally think the mini is the way to go. Some here use a gravity filter. Just another of many on the market.

I filter ALL my whites and fruit wines. Ask Wade when he tastes my fruit wine about losing or no flavor. LOL !

tepe said:
That may be. BUTT, I don't see-taste that. I use only #2 filter. If you use the sterile filter I would agree. I personally think the mini is the way to go. Some here use a gravity filter. Just another of many on the market.

I filter ALL my whites and fruit wines. Ask Wade when he tastes my fruit wine about losing or no flavor. LOL !

I have not seen the gravity filter. I have flirted with thinking about using a coffee filter in a funnel. I have a couple of "Jumex" juice gallons going and there is ¼ of a gallon of "stuff" hanging out in the bottom of the bottle. I really should have strained that juice before I started it ferminting.

Well some one hereuses it and may chime in.

Don't waste your time on a coffee filter. You'd be luckey if 1 bottle passes thru.. If you still have alot of sediment then you neeed more TIME. remember Time is on your side.

You can't rush Mother Nature OR wine.

If using fruit a straining bag is a must.

I agree with tepe. Just let the wine do its thing, the must will settle and compact which means you get more wine. For the smaller batches you can't beat the gravity filter.
VPC

I just watched the filtering videos. That super jet is awful nice.

Tepe is absolutly right about the coffee filter. Don't waste your time. I tried it once and didn't even get 1 bottle thru it!

I have the gravity filter and it works great for the price, it takes about 45 minutes for a 6 gallon batch to run through and that is the only downfall of it.
Filtering.jpg

<table ="Catalog" id="products" align="center" border="1" bordercolor="#000000" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><t><tr><td ="table" align="default" width="2%"><div align="center">5292 </td>
<td width="5%"><div align="center">
%5Cimages%5C2692_sm.gif
</td>
<td width="20%">

Vinbrite Filter

Comes with 6 Crystalbrite filter pads (see item #5294)</td>
<td width="2%"><div align="right">$44.99</td>
<td width="2%">
</td></tr></t></table>

mjdtexan; were did you find the filtering video? Was it on fine vine wines?

wade said:
I have the gravity filter and it works great for the price, it takes about 45 minutes for a 6 gallon batch to run through and that is the only downfall of it.
Filtering.jpg

<TABLE id=products borderColor=#000000 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" align=center border=1 ="Catalog"><T>
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=default width="2%" ="table">
<DIV align=center>5292 </TD>
<TD width="5%">
<DIV align=center>
%5Cimages%5C2692_sm.gif
</TD>
<TD width="20%">

Vinbrite Filter

Comes with 6 Crystalbrite filter pads (see item #5294)</TD>
<TD width="2%">
<DIV align=right>$44.99</TD>
<TD width="2%">
</TD></TR></T></T></TABLE>

Yeah, I finally saw it and I will probably get it or the mini powered one on my next order seeing as I just placed an order last night. I watched the video on it, George sure has some clear wine to begin with. I guess I am wanting to cheat a little and get the big particulates out of my fruit wine pretty quick. I even used a straining bag to hold the strawberries in the 6 gallon batch and I still wound up with some big stuff in the must. Maybe I just need practice.

I can't find the thread but what I said was IF i had a bottle or two and wanted to freshen them up to take out (maybe a little dust in the bottle) I would use a coffee filter to do that job,not a gallon or any other quantity anyone who has made wine in any volume knows first to wait till the sediment is at the bottom ,rack and filter not filter a cloudy gallon or any quantity thought a coffee filter,I also stated I use a jet pump also,just a review..................on my thread...............

Latest posts

Back