Cleanser/Sanitizer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackfin1

Reaction score
I am in the process of purchasing equipment to make wine for the first time and I am rather confused about sanitzers/cleansers. I am interested in purchasing a product known as ONE STEP. Will this work or should I get into the habit of using potassium metabisulfite or capden tablets. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sal

One step is good for the cleaning part but you will still need a sanitizer. I have always used star san but there is lots of sanitizers out there. You'll just need to find the one that works best for you. I've heard a lot of people using Iodophor also. I do use K-meta for tubing and racking canes. I just place them in a container with a bowl of K-meta solution and seal it up. The fumes is what sanitizes.

Last edited:
I use starsan as well.

for racking canes etc I bought a wallpaper tray and fill it with starsan solution and let then soak.

One Step is a cleanser and sanitizer. Thats why its called one step! Oxy Clean (unscented) is basically the same product and a lot cheaper.

I use Oxyclean (or Walmart's generic equivalent which is less expensive) for cleaning and I also sanitize with a K-meta solution. I keep a spray bottle handy and use iit to spray odd shaped things like into the racking cane and on the surface of the thremometer and hydrometer. I also have a 2 gallon bucket that I put about a gallon of k-meta solution in to dip items that fit. The only caution that I would offer is to be sure you draw the solution into the tubing. You could conceivably put it into a bowl of solution and have a huge air bubble in the tubing that would not be sanitized. Be sure to rinse with hot water.

Hi-
Just want to be clear:
One Step is a cleanser and sanitizer. Thats why its called one step! Oxy Clean (unscented) is basically the same product and a lot cheaper
I've been cleaning my bottles with OxyClean and then using k-meta to rinse. Seems like overkill. I probably should just use the OxyClean, no?
Tony...

Hi-
Just want to be clear:

I've been cleaning my bottles with OxyClean and then using k-meta to rinse. Seems like overkill. I probably should just use the OxyClean, no?
Tony...

Thats not a bad idea. Oxy clean will sometimes leave a white residue. I always rinse the bottles with k-meta just before bottling.

Dear Sirs:
Can you please define what a K Meta is? Is it Potassium Metabisulfate? What is the mixture ratio for sanitizing? And finally, how long does a mixture last?

Thanks,
Sal

Dear Sirs:
Can you please define what a K Meta is? Is it Potassium Metabisulfate? What is the mixture ratio for sanitizing? And finally, how long does a mixture last?

Yes it is. We use 3 tablespoons per gallon. I keep an inch in all of my empty carboys with a solid bung. The solution is still good 6 months later. If the oder is strong you know it's still working. Some people add a tbs of citric acid with it. This make it a contact sanitizer and it reacts quicker.

Back