"Cleaning" Solution

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
So...I'm looking at what's in B-Brite and I'm starting to wonder if I could use OxyClean (or similar) for cleaning wine equipment?

Thoughts?

OxyClean is what I use. It's a good way to save some money. Just don't get it on your hands, it burns a bit!!!

I've used Oxyclean, Sun, and an a dollar store off brand. It all worked great for me. I love to watch it dissolve the grime in the carboy.

B-Brite *is* Oxyclean with a pink color and a bit more filler. You sure can use it to clean, and you'll find it's much cheaper too.

I use Oxy-clean or the Dollar Store version all the time for a cleaner. You can find it everywhere around here.

B-Brite, OxyClean, et al, are organic peroxides. They used to be hideously expensive until some chemical company (I forget who) figured out how to synthesise them. Now they are everywhere.

On a call to George several months ago asking a similar question, he noted that it may be beneficial to find a 'non-sudsing' version of Oxy-Clean, as it comes in different varieties. No suds means no soap foam which means easier rinsing.

- Jim

Yeah...I've noticed that Oxyclean has "reformulated" their stuff and they don't list what's in it. However, I found a store brand (probably licensed the original formula from Oxy!) that does list its ingredients (typically sodium precarbonate...). I ended up getting this store brand (aka Safeway) which was cheaper than Oxy but I suspect will do just as good for my needs.

I never really thought about it are they that close ,I pay I believe 14.95 for 5lbs. of B/brite,and do they really do the same quaility of a job?
smiley3.gif
Edited by: joeswine

According to the cleaning and sanitizing article in the resources partion of this fine wines site, It says B Brite cleans and sanitizes while Oxy clean cleans only

THATS what I thought,its a 1/2 hr.contact sanitizer and cleaner,there are others in its catagory,but I don't think oxiclean does the same work?

I'm not sure it does both. This is what is posted with the Winexperts Cleaning and Sanitizing directions:

The first step is to clean your equipment and hands. We recommend an oxygen-based cleanser like EasyClean, 1-Step or B-Brite. You can also use a chlorine-based product called C-Brite. Once everything is clean, then you sanitize. The best way to sanitize is with a 1.25% sulfite solution made with either Potassium Metabisulfite (K-Meta) or Sodium Metabisulphite (Na-Meta) .

I may be overly cautious, but that's what I do...I always and clean and then sanitize...even when I used B-Brite, I still sanitized seperately.....

I do the same, I was just offering that to the previous post that says B-Brite does both. It might, but according to what I've read, you should still do both.

I also use both oxyclean free, and Na-meta. I was wondering if it is much more beneficial to use K-meta. I know its more expensive, but would it better protect and sanatize?

Back