"Cleaning" Solution

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jwhelan939 said:
I also use both oxyclean free, and Na-meta. I was wondering if it is much more beneficial to use K-meta. I know its more expensive, but would it better protect and sanitize?

No benefit from using K-meta compared to Na-meta for sanitizing since the active ingredient SO2 is the same in both products and Na-meta actually contains a bit more SO2 (Na-meta = 67.4% and K-meta = 57.6%)

IS OXIY CLEAN FOOD GRADE////
smiley2.gif

joeswine said:
IS OXIY CLEAN FOOD GRADE////
smiley2.gif

Probably not, unless they buy it from the same manufacturer as B-Brite does. Since the OxyClean I get now comes with little blue crystals in it, and I don't know what they are,I don't use it. All of these oxygen-based cleaners are organic peroxides, so their action is the same as hydrogen peroxide.

Since chlorine and peroxides are oxidizers, they will react with sulfite,it is a good idea to rinse with a sulfite solution after using them so the sulfite in the must or wine will not be reduced to dangerously low levels.Edited by: PeterZ

I"LL STICK WITH MY B-BRITE AS A DUEL COMPONENT<NO QUESTIONS THEN
smiley5.gif
SEE YOU
smiley9.gif
Edited by: joeswine

Lloyd, I think iodophor is an iodine solution of some kind. Iodine is also an oxidizer. I think the "no rinse" applies more to beer than wine, as beer doesn't use sulfite. I am, however, speaking based on the way it looks, not by looking on the label for an active ingredient.

PeterZ, Iodophor is a cleaner, and no rinse sanitizer.

I recently had a chance to use it for both.
I was impressed, and like it.
If youare not familiar withits capabilities, may I offer some of the knowledge I recently aquired.

http://www.bayareamashers.org/content/maindocs/iodophor.htm

Here is an interesting audio on Iodophor.
Please let me know if you can not download it.

http://www.yuntaa.com/FileManager/DetailsView.aspx?FileID=45482D1A9803A77EE040A8C00302151D

Hope I didn't step on any toes.

This is a GREAT forum .... I am learning soooo much!
smiley20.gif

Lloyd, interesting article. For wine I would still rinse with a sulfite solution, but using iodophor before will insure sanitary conditions, as iodophor is a much stronger bactericide than SO2. For those of you who remember my discussions of hard surface sanitizers, iodophor does qualify under EPA and FDA rules as a hard surface sanitizer. SO2 does not.

why do you need to rinse off equipment after sanitizing it? cant i just wipe it off with a paper towel?

but why do i have to rinse after sanitizing with meta? i understand during fermentation you dont want any extra meta in there but after that i dont see why you need to rinse does it help sanitise or are you just rinsing the meta off?

Don't rinse after sanitizing with meta. There won't be enough left on the surface to be detectible in the wine. Just remember to pour the sanitizing solution out before adding the wine.

PeterZ said:
Don't rinse after sanitizing with meta. There won't be enough left on the surface to be detectible in the wine. Just remember to pour the sanitizing solution out before adding the wine.
Now that makes the most sense to me in my humble opinion, That's the way I have been doing it!

Latest posts

Back