Cigars and Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joea132

Reaction score
I bought myself a nice humidor last Christmas and I've really been enjoying a nice cigar after dinner. (Or before dinner or driving home from work who am I kidding!) There's not that much info on wine and cigar pairing out there though except full bodied with full bodied. Any fellow cigar smokers have an opinion? I had a maduro last night with a Petit sirah (Michael David Petit Petit) and it was a poor match. I think a medium bodied cigar would have been a better choice.

Al F. may be able to help you out there. I bought my first batch of cigars from Thompsons. When you bought a brick of cigars you got a free cherry humidore. Another place I liked a lot was cigars international. I know Al gets his from different place on line but I don't remember the name. Just some FYI as I know I didn't answer your original question on pairing. I haven't really bought any in a while. I do like to having a cigar though sitting around the fire pit drinking a glass of wine.

well...its funny that i come here now and see this topic...i got to meet Joea132 today at my winery when he came by for my empty bottles...and even though i told him not to bring me anything when he offered...he insisted on giving me two fine cigars...one is already gone thank you Joe...there was no band on it so i forget the name of it...it is perhaps the tightest rolled and firm cigar that i have come across and once that baby got going the draw was smooth and creamy...w a hint of cedar....the maduro that you gave is going into the humidor in a few minutes...thank you very much Joe!!!

by the way....since cigars have been mentioned...the Victor Sinclair line is one of my favorites...they all have something to offer...i also recently tried some LigaIV and these are much better properly humidified than dry...also some John Bull....i could mention the usual suspects such as Ashtons but there is nothing new there...give a Victor Sinclair Primeros a try...also a couple of the '55' series are worth a look

picture.php

picture.php

The hand rolled cigars are the best ones in my humidor. The store where they are made is a humidor, literally the entire store is 70% humidity. There is a South American older gentleman who literally rolls them on a bench that probably dates back to the 30's if I had to guess. They age those rolled cigars in the store and are so expertly made they are tight but rarely ever have a tough draw. If you are ever in Norwalk, CT I strongly suggest you stop by and look at the store.

Check out the pictures for a better listing of what each cigar is. The humidor is strategically located on top of my wine cooler.

International Cigar Factory Outlet

picture.php

picture.php

The hand rolled cigars are the best ones in my humidor. The store where they are made is a humidor, literally the entire store is 70% humidity. There is a South American older gentleman who literally rolls them on a bench that probably dates back to the 30's if I had to guess. They age those rolled cigars in the store and are so expertly made they are tight but rarely ever have a tough draw. If you are ever in Norwalk, CT I strongly suggest you stop by and look at the store.

Check out the pictures for a better listing of what each cigar is. The humidor is strategically located on top of my wine cooler.

International Cigar Factory Outlet

NORWALK CT?
I used to live there raised in Stamford. If I remember we have another member form Norwalk.

The Kuba Deluxes I got for $70ish for a box of 10 and the Extra Ordinary Larry's are considerably more. Yeah I've got quite alot tied up in my humidor.

Tom, one of the local forums had a bunch of guys from lower Fairfield County. I work in Westport myself so I love taking the short ride to Sono for some super premium cigars.

There are a few Victor Sinclairs in the bottom somewhere. I seem to remember the Bohemian being great and also a "55" or maybe "SS." I tend to really prefer a robusto if it is rolled tightly or a toro size myself.

Wade has a friend "Vince" from Norwalk. Wade and Vince are in a wine club in CT.
I met Vince a year or so ago. Got a bunch of 5gal carboys from him and he delivered them to my house.

BTW I remember there is a place that you can get fresh juice in Norwalk. At the homebrew store there??

My friend Vince is the one who owns the local forum Joe is talking about. Rock and Carmine on here are also from Norwalk and also members of the other forum that Joe is speaking of. I admin that site also.

I got scared for a moment, I thought we were going to start growing tobacco and rolling our own Cigars. I don't need another hobby. I will leave the cigar making to the island nation south of florida. They do a fine job.

I haven't had a cigar since I quit smoking 6 years ago. Wow, it's been that long. Maybe longer, I can't remember. Oh well. I do enjoy the smell of a good cigar.

The winemaking and grape shop in Norwalk is Cocchias. I think its on Ely Ave. Mr Cocchia is very knowledgeable and runs a liquors store as his main business but its in a questionable neighborhood. He does get some great product though from all accounts I've heard.

Depends on the wine. Some full bodied cigars will mute the flavors of the wine. If it's a big bold cab I'll usually reach for a spicy Opus X! I just paired my peach passionfruit wine with a creamy A. Fuente Chateau natural and it was a match made in heaven!

Back