Small Wine Barrel; Length of Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone advise on the expected evaporation rate for a 28 liter barrel?

I'm sure there is some scientific equation out there that takes into account the temp and relative humidity, but I imagine there are too many variables at play to accurately predict. Temp, humidity, ABV, etc would all play a role.

I'm sure there is some scientific equation out there that takes into account the temp and relative humidity, but I imagine there are too many variables at play to accurately predict. Temp, humidity, ABV, etc would all play a role.
Agreed. The original owner of my barrels said they averaged about 500 ml each per month. My humidity and temperature are not consistent, so topup ranges from roughly 300 to 750 ml. The 500 ml prediction is a rough average.

Those with 28 liter barrels may be able to provide information regarding their results.

I pulled the Amarone out the oak at 7 weeks and racked to a carboy. The Pinot Noir was ready to go into the oak. 3 weeks latter now I have bottled the Amarone, it needs some more time to bottle age but this is a fantastic wine.

Attachments

• E8BED088-7242-42E5-9257-9BB6791C6F5B.jpeg
    E8BED088-7242-42E5-9257-9BB6791C6F5B.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back