Chocolate Peppermint Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually if you backsweeten with some candy canes this helps in bring back some of the mint flavor and adds a nice pink color.

Julie said:
Actually if you backsweeten with some candy canes this helps in bring back some of the mint flavor and adds a nice pink color.

Now why didn't I think of that one??? I have a candy cane (your recipe) aging away. Lol, oh well, maybe next time. Thanks for the input!

Thanks for the candy cane tip. The wine guy at my local home brew shop told me to withdraw about a gallon of the original MUST (right before pitching the yeast) and refrigerate it. Then add 3/4 gallon of the MUST back to the batch after primary fermentation. Save the remaining 1/4 gallon for backsweetening. I've tasted some of his wines where he used this technique and it restores the original grape/fruit flavor.

there is a mint plant called chocolate mint that tastes just like a peppermint paddie, its very easy to grow, it would make this much better than addding extracts. WVMJ

WVMountaineerJack said:
there is a mint plant called chocolate mint that tastes just like a peppermint paddie, its very easy to grow, it would make this much better than addding extracts. WVMJ

I have one now, didn't at the time, but will be using it next time for sure!

When I can find some time and extra carboys, I am definitely going to try this one. Bottles look awesome.

wineforfun said:
When I can find some time and extra carboys, I am definitely going to try this one. Bottles look awesome.

Thank you! Wish I had clear bottles to see the color though, but oh well

It's looks amazing, but I don't have another 6 gal carboy, and I'm afraid to commit to that much. Can this be modified to make just a single gallon? I'm very new and could benefit from very specific instructions. ;)

Iffy, for any winemaking recipe, divide by the gallons and your pretty safe, but use the whole pack of yeast or split it between several batches on the same day. WVMJ

WVMountaineerJack said:
Iffy, for any winemaking recipe, divide by the gallons and your pretty safe, but use the whole pack of yeast or split it between several batches on the same day. WVMJ

I waiting for someone else to respond haha. I was pretty sure that's all there was to it, but not 100%. I've only made 6 gal batches so far

Latest posts

Back