Chocolate Peppermint Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowgirl812001

Still learning:)
Reaction score
I am starting this batch today and have a question. Most recipes I have read say to boil leaves and strain them off before you put in primary. My question is, can you put the leaves into a straining bag in the primary while it ferments? Will it help or is that pointless???

Last edited:
snowgirl812001 said:
I am starting this batch today and have a question. Most recipes I have read say to boil leaves and strain them off before you put in primary. My question is, can you put the leaves into a straining bag in the primary while it ferments? Will it help or is that pointless???

Once you steep the leaves in hot water, my question is, would there be any flavor left?

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to add them to the primary, but I don't think you'll benefit from it.

Very true, didn't really think about it that way. Thank you for the help!! I will just throw them away. I know, I'm blonde hahaha :)

Aging away :D. I may have to do some tweaking though, I think I added too much peppermint extract :(

image-3464264523.jpg

I actually got it from this site.

About 28 c. Fresh mint
6 cans Welchs white grape conc.
1 tsp tannin
3 tsp pectic enzyme
4 tsp acid blend
6 campden tablets
6 tsp yeast nutrient
Sugar to SG of 1.080 (I used about 18c)

Boil the mint in water like you would tea for ten minutes, cover & let steep for an hour. Add all ingredients to primary. Next day, pitch yeast.

When in secondary I added bakers chocolate (100% cacao). I added LorAnns peppermint oil to mine, too much at that, be very careful when adding haha.

Robin,
About how much Bakers Chocolate did you use, and was it sweet?
How about backsweetening when it's all done, is that the plan?
Thanks,

reefman said:
Robin,
About how much Bakers Chocolate did you use, and was it sweet?
How about backsweetening when it's all done, is that the plan?
Thanks,

I started with 3 squares, they were unsweetened. Left those in for a month while stirring. Then added a 4.4 oz Hershey bar. I think next time I will stick to the bakers squares but its what I had so I figured I would try. It seemed to have an oil or something in it. I let it sit for 2 more months, racked a few times off all the sediment. I back sweetened with sugar & added peppermint oil. (Another mistake haha) I didn't want the regular mint flavor but with the oil I had to let sit for it to clear again. I added a few drops of food coloring to make it prettier. I read on here that some people use torani syrups (the kind found with coffee) so I bought a bottle of the chocolate to use if I think there still isn't enough chocolate. (I think it's good as it is now though)

After all this.....haha, It's sitting pretty good. Tastes great and is pretty clear. I will probably rack two more times before bottling. A lot of experimenting with this one! I'm sure I will definitely be making it again though! :D

Robin,
Lookin good. Mine has not finished clearing yet. I'm trying to let it clear without help from additives. It's clearing very slowly. I also bought some torani syrup...will let you know how that turns out.
I may add the food coloring too, mine is un ugly orange color.

Thanks, & glad to be not the only one trying this one out. Definitely an experiment haha. Yeah, the color of mine wasn't pretty before food coloring either. Can't wait to hear how everyone else's comes along :D

Back