Chitosan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannabarn

Reaction score
Does it hurt chitosan to be frozen? I received a world vineyard california zinfandel/shiraz kit and the pouch of clearing agent was like an ice cube! Everything else was OK. The wine now doesn't seem to be clearing.

I cant see how it would chitosan is just ground up shrimp shells. but here is something interesting.

But now, scientists have created a bandage that is actually able to
clot a bullet wound in less than a minute. The bandages are laced with
a mixture of ground shrimp shells and vinegar, a concoction that has
been found to clot blood instantly. The key ingredient in the shrimp
shells is called chitosan

Yes it does affect it and you need a replacement.

From Tim V. of Winexpert on freezing:

"It would also ruin the fining agents: the isinglass would turn to pudding, or burst the bag, and the chitosan would crystallize and refuse to re-solubilise."

Not sure what the best course of action is since you added the chitosan that had been frozen. I am sure Winexpert has seen this before I would advise you to contact them for guidance..

Calling the toll free number is the fastest way:

http://www.winexpert.com/contact_us/

Please let us know what they suggest.Edited by: masta

very true smokin dawg.We use it every day in the cath lab after pulling the sheaths. Works very well for clotting the wound tract.

SmokinDawg said:
I cant see how it would chitosan is just ground up shrimp shells. but here is something interesting.

But now, scientists have created a bandage that is actually able to clot a bullet wound in less than a minute. The bandages are laced with a mixture of ground shrimp shells and vinegar, a concoction that has been found to clot blood instantly. The key ingredient in the shrimp shells is called chitosan

Smokin, Quick Clot is standard issue in our first aid kits. It's supposed to create a lot of heat. Fortunately, I've never had to use it. Edited by: K&GB

masta said:
Not sure what the best course of action is since you added the chitosan that had been frozen. I am sure Winexpert has seen this before I would advise you to contact them for guidance..

Calling the toll free number is the fastest way:

http://www.winexpert.com/contact_us/

Please let us know what they suggest.
I contacted Wine expert and they said the chitosan would not work if had been frozen. They are very graciously replacing the chitosan package free of charge. Great company!!!

Is it ok to add superkleer twice? I had a wine that wasn't quite sweet enough but it had cleared beautifully. I was going to bottle it and I added some concentrate/ syrup to a fresh carboy and proceeded to rack off my wine into the new carboy, when Murphy paid a visit. I sucked up quite a bit of the sediment. I stirred up the wine, to mix the sweetener in, dropped a dry ice chip on top and sealed it with an airlock. it's been 10 days and most of the sediment has hit the bottom but it is awfully hazy

I have had this hazy appearance develop after clearing and back-sweetening several times. I have found that it will clear again with time and patience. I have no experience with using SuperKleer a second time on the same wine.

Never had to use it twice. I would give it some time and see if it drops on its own.

i did use it twice when i was making my niagra wine it hadso much pectin haze in it from the desitiy i filteredit twice,added egg whites,and the finally supperkleer twice,it finially cleared and was just wonderful took over a year to complete and let stand before bottling so maybe that was also partof your problem the added sugar not completely refind enought to settle outstayed suspended,it will clear jusy let tme take do its job,,good luck

Latest posts

Back