Red meat wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billdean

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking about making a Shiraz wine kit. There seems to be a few different ones out there. I like dark fruits and chocolate. I am wanting a kit that goes well with red meat. I think the Shiraz kit maybe a good one but would like to hear what others think. Also I really don't want to make a 6 gallon batch. Can you purchase a 6 gallon kit and make 3 gallons now and later make another 3 ?

For me pretty much any big dry red wine goes well enough with a good beef steak. As far as only making half of a kit at a time..., I suppose that is technically possible but quite problematic/risky on numerous fronts it seems to me off the top of my head.
Why only do half? Are you limited in fermenter and/or carboy size?

Well…I guess I am not limited but I do like the 3 gallon carboy better. A 3 gallon batch just seems better to me. I have 2 fermenters and both are 6 gallons. I don’t have a bigger one.

Any opinions on what is the better Shiraz kit to purchase?
I've really enjoyed the Finer Wine kit Syrah Forte. As you probably know Shiraz is just another name for Syrah, usually used in Australia. Drinking some right now (fermented 12/2021, bottled 7/2022, so at 18 months now and really drinking well but can see it might get even better), great with meat. Only sold by Label Peelers in Ohio, ships cold / not shelf stable, which is supposed to mean the concentrate was handled more gently and less likely to have any "kit taste". Forte is the stronger version with skin packs and a seed pack.

EDITING to say, it looks like they are sold out. But they also sell a Northern Rhone kit which is basically 95% Syrah/Shiraz plus skins and seeds, and the remainder white wine grapes for added aroma. Eager to try that one.

Last edited:
@Billdean, you can download a PDF of the FWK Forte instructions. I suggest you do that, and read it a couple of times. Their instructions are the best kit wine instructions I've seen, but even then some things may not be clear to you. If you do this ahead of time, you can post questions prior to the kit arriving.

Ok, am I the only one who read that title and thought 😳… making wine from meat?
Absolutely not! And @Jovimaple when I saw the post my heart started racing, my eyes got wide, and I was so excited...
And then heartbreak!
I was so crestfallen I couldn't comment until today. And still it's taking all my willpower to type.
Oh what a cruel cruel world....

You could just buy 3 one gallon kits if you're adamant on just doing 3 gallons

Back