Chilean Juices and grapes in NW PA.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never tasted a Chilean wine before and was thinking about making some this spring when the juice becomes available. I bought a bottle of Malbec and one of Carmenere. I am going to taste tonight. Which would be best to start with?

Thanks

Well, by now you 'must" have yasyed them. Which one do you like?
I lie both so I make both
You can preorder from Gino's in NJ

Ya, I tried the malbec last night. The store didn't have any carmanere so that'll have to wait, but the malbec fits right in with the dry reds I've come to like. Seems a tad drier and fuller/darker. Gonna have to try one more to make sure I like it enough to make 5 gallons though.

Do these buckets come with TA, Brix, PH readings? Probably a good idea to check yourself I guess

Tasted the Malbec and Carm. last night. We did enjoy the Malbec over the Carm. I agree with wyn. and we will try another Malbec to be sure we want to committ. What do you think about oak with the Malbec?

We have a barrel of merlot/malbec from last spring thats coming along real nice.I really like this blend alot.

I like a medium toast with malbec, I made some from grapes this year. Malbec is a nice medium density wine that fits in with just about every meal, its bigger then a Pinot but not as heavy as a Cab.

chilean juice

Tell you what I'am finding out with the juices is the nose of the wine really isn't there,taste yes,mouth feel a little thin ,even thought is definately a from of mouthfeel,if you open up the bucket and taste the raw product ,not bad,after fermentation,kind of loose the aroma,this is starting to be a common thread with all the bucket jucies,itys,cals, and chills,the melbec is much better in flavor if the tannans are layered in,what i like to do is buy and $8 to $10 bottle and sample it as I'am going along the process ,or after the first full year and before bottling just to see how close I have come to a rounded product,or not:mnyWade I sent you a sample of my melbec what was your findings,taste the difference from kit to juice at least my version of melbec the one thing is that it does evolve with time ............

Consumer Produce in the Strip District of Pgh has the Chilean Juices listed on their site for early May pick up also. Prices are comparable.

juice and grapes brix from jerilu

I know jody and his boss pretty well, was told the juice and grapes brix was 22 to 24 brix ex -exporter they will be tested again when they clear customs.Definetly try the carmenere. It is fast becoming the signiture grape in chilie ,and may be in short supply for a couple of years due to the quake damage to winerys and vinyards.enjoy art

flavor profile on carm

most of the carmenere i have drank has been blended with cab ,sarrah,or both have been silkly smooth and drank well young (3)years from vintage. Have some older carm blends in my celler and they seem to be holding fine. Carm in short to my palate is a silkier softer version of merlot. but have had some 100% carms that would stand up to big cabs and sarrahs. a very versitale variatle.going to make a blend of carm sarrah and cab this spring and maybe a little vigonier, just to screw with my wine snob friends .LOL have fun with it art

thanks

going to make it from fresh fruit. some of my friends are going the juice route.So we can compare. this will be my first crush but have a very expirienced guy i'm working with on this project. going to really try to extract as much as we can ,push the ferm , then MLF, then some medium french oak for at least 18 months, will post the recipe and the blends when we finish with the crush. any help or ideas appreciated. art

Where are you guys getting your juice? I take it your getting some from Jerilu this spring. Have you been up to Walkers in Dunkirk? I also heard yesterday that sometime in the spring that Presque Isle sells off any extra that they have already completed but just didn't bottle.

Back