Chilean Juice at Consumers in Pittsburgh

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those grape prices look kind of high compared to prices of the Fall 2010 California grapes that Consumers sold. The California grapes were in the high $20 to low $30 range for 36# lugs compared to these prices for 18# lugs.

Does anyone remember what the Chilean grape prices were last May?

How long will the 6g buckets last at 65 degrees in my basement? I can only do 2 at a time in my Primaries so I would be looking at probably 3 weeks to get through 8 buckets.

I use the bucket as a primary. You'll need carboys to transfer into. These buckets last year yielded amost a full 6 gallons of juice opposed to the California juice, which after fillig a 5 gallon carboy, only filled a gallon jug about 3/4 of the way.

If you emptied the first two buckets into your primaries, then split the next two buckets in half into the recently emptied buckets, you could be fermenting 4 buckets at the same time. That would leave only four buckets setting waiting for a primary. I would sulfite them them and put them in as cool a place as you can find (Outside in early May, in Pa, might get the job done.) until the SG on your primaries gets down to 1.01 (About a week). That would only leave the last four buckets to set for about a week before you do the same to them.

Better yet, if you can arrange it with Ron C.- he may want you to pay for all up front, only pick up four buckets at a time. That would require two trips to the 'Burgh, though.

Starting 8 buckets at one time would not work out well for us. We would rather buy them and start them two at a time over 4-5 weeks. We just need to know that they are not going to go bad in our basement while we are getting to them.

I am holding out for prices from Luva Bella Winery. They are the main distributor in the area and the selection is larger. I don't think they're selling grapes though this year.

Gino's in Hammonton NJ and I think one in MD but dont have name or where

Anyone know how I can find a local distributor in the SE Penn area?

Look for produce suppliers in the area. They seem to be the ones around here that supply the juice. Check with your local wine and brew supply place, they may also be able to recommend somewhere.

I did a quick search on wine juice in mechanicsburg and come up with nothing. I know the Chilean Juice we got last year was Toro Negro. I believe it came out of Canada. Maybe check thier site (cant get there from work) and see if there are any distributors in your area. Not sure the brand Tom gets but you may be able to do a search on distributors for that brand also.

In Maryland, Harford Vinyard and Winery just announced their Chilean grape and juice list for April-May delivery.

http://stores.harfordvineyard.com/-strse-template/varietals/Page.bok
http://stores.harfordvineyard.com/-strse-template/springpricelist/Page.bok

Contact Us / Directions
Harford Vineyard
1311 West Jarretsville Road
Forest Hill, Maryland 21050

Contact Information
Kevin & Teresa Mooney - Vineyard Owners
Roxanne Mooney - Sales
443-495-1699 or 443-695-5380
[email protected]

These are really nice folks, and very helpful.
Regards,

Hi all I'm new to the site and this is my first post. I was looking at this site you were all talking about consumersproduce but I live to far (chattanooga,tn) anybody know were I can get fresh juice or grapes in this area? Thanks so much!

First off welcome to the forum. I would ask at where ever you buy your wine supplies at. Chances are they'll have an idea where the closest place is.

Thanks for the quick answer, but I have ordered my equipment online and it will be my first wine. I know everybody says do kits first and I might, but I have been reading a lot about making and I just don't want to make wine kits its like making a box cake its not really for me.

I have to disagree with that, kits are a great learning process & they produce a lot of award winning quality wines. But you are paying a little more for the convience for all the ingredients together in one package. Guaranteed you will be missing something when trying to make you wine for the very first time!! I still find myself needing something in addition to adding to the endless equipment upgrades & additional carboys......
Al

I have to disagree with that, kits are a great learning process & they produce a lot of award winning quality wines. But you are paying a little more for the convience for all the ingredients together in one package. Guaranteed you will be missing something when trying to make you wine for the very first time!! I still find myself needing something in addition to adding to the endless equipment upgrades & additional carboys......
Al

Isn't that the truth.....

Latest posts

Back