Mosti Mondiale Chilean Fresh Juice!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to make a link active for that PigPen, but it is copyrighted material from UC at Davis. It is some very good information, but it looks like material meant to be part of their online courses, so I don't think an active link is appropriate.

It is in a public directory and subdomain, it doesn't require a password, and it is on Google - linking is obviously not a concern for UCDavis on this material.

I pulled up the info on a google search, was surprised that it was available. Without any login. Some good info anyway..

Appleman,

It is on a public web site in a publicly available folder. It is not blocked off from search engines. Therefore it is PUBLIC. There are no restrictions from linking to such material anywhere on the Internet.

Go to their web site (ucdavis.edu) and search for 'malolactic' and the first result is:

<a href="http://lfbisson.ucdavis.edu/PDF/VEN124%20Section%204.pdf" target="_blank">The Malolactic Fermentation: Lesson 12
</a>

Seriously, no one will get in trouble for it.

Trashy, I am not trying to be difficult. I justwas not providing a link to copyrighted material. This notice is taken from the last page of that pdf file. As long as everyone acknowledges the copyright, I don't see a problem.

bottle the wine.
Previous

Copyright 2001 University of California at Davis, University Extension
Copyright 2001 Linda Bisson

I'm not trying to be difficult either. :eek:)

But linking to copyrighted information has been going on since the first web page was invented. There is no infringement in doing so. Now copying the file to George's web server is a different matter entirely, but providing a link is fine.

As a matter of fact, about 70% of the entire internet traffic is people putting links and even *excerpts* of news articles on their blogs. Fair use even allows copies of an excerpt to be used, as long as proper attribution and linking is provided.

While I'm at it, I will point out that if linking was wrong, Google is wrong about five billion times a day, because that is all they do.

It's just how the internet works and it does not violate or otherwise infringe on copyright.

Very interesting article. I don't think I'll be doing any MLF. Too touchy for me. Even if I do some fresh juices I will just trust Mosti on the acid balance.

Im with you Peterz. My head spins when I try to figure MLF, Ph, free SO2, and so on. Thats mainly why I have stuck to just doing kits.
smiley1.gif

I do MLF when required, but I've yet to have juice or kits require it. Red Wine musts and the occasional batch of wild blackberry wine can benefit greatly from it. It is a bit of work to keep all the factors in play to complete MLF. Chromatography kits must be on hand.

MLF is primarily used by wineries to reduce the acid levels in grapes that would otherwise be too harse or to speed up the softening phase to get wines to market faster. Unless your juice has a high acid level, I would not recommend MLF.

Im not positive but pretty sure it is mainly just for high Malic acid.
Edited by: wade

Yes it is to convert malic acid to lactic acid which give the wine a softer mouthfeel. Some wines, especially northern grapes are higher in acids, so any way to convert some of it to less harsh acids helps reduce the TA of the wine. It really add complexity to the wine if there is enough malic acid in it to justify it's use. If a wine doesn't have enough acids in it or if the pH is borderline high, you do NOT want to use MLF. It could render the wine flabby and too high in pH and leave it susceptible to spoilage organisms.

In case anyone missed this via e-mail or on website:

Mosti Mondiale has advised me of a change in delivery date. This product will be delivered to me on May 5th, instead of April 28th. As a result, we willstart shipping these frozen juices on May 5, 2008 and they will be available for pick up in the store starting May 6, 2008. Those of you that have already ordered should have alreadyreceived another emailadvising you of this change and giving you the opportunity tocancel your order.

For those of you that missed the prior email, these frozen juices are now available for pre-order through April 14, 2008. Since these juices are perishable, your credit card will be charged when you place the order and no refunds will be given after April 14, 2008, except on damaged shipments. Please also note that we do not have the facilities to store this juice for any length of time. As soon as they come in, we will start shipping and will not be in a position to hold any orders. I wish I could hold these juices, but I just can't at the present.
These juices will produce some of the best wine you have ever made, so order now to reserve your Chilean Fresh Juice. Click on the following link to order:

Frozen Juice - Order by April 7, 2008

It's May 7th. I live in Oregon and both kids play baseball.
I am home only one night a week, so does anyone know when I will get
mine in the mail. I need to let a friend know when it's comming
so he can pick it for me.

The instructions from the Toy Store say that to be safe I should transfer to a 7.9 gallon primary.

All I have are the normal primary buckets that you sell - are those the correct size?

Also, do I need a pH test kit?

For the first rack, will the standard 6-gallon carboys be large enough?

7.9 is the primary bucket that is standard for George to sell for wine but some other places will sell you a 6.5 bucket. For 1st rack a 6 gallon carboy is what you want. The reason for the big primary bucket is room for fermentation(foaming). Im pretty sure the musts are balanced pretty well but believe you can do MLF on these but not totally necessary.

so I can let it ferment in the bucket it shipped in? I'd be worried about racking it just when fermentation is starting....

Probably not Trashy. Wade means that the primary buckets George sells are 7.9 gallons- but I don't think the juices come in one quite that large.

Latest posts

Back