Mosti Mondiale Chilean Fresh Juice!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trashy ,were do you get your juice from,every year i get mine from gino pinto's produce in hammonton ,nj,this season caramera and malbec are on the menu for me,i've done a lot of this countries fresh juice,also this season our wine club is doing a clillean sharaza fresh grape crush,first time with raw product for me,,,have you used this product before?,,,can tell you a good bit about it if you want? Edited by: joeswine

I was referring to the latest kits from Mosti Mondiale - it was in George's latest email.

joeswine said:
trashy ,were do you get your juice from,every year i get mine from gino pinto's produce in hammonton ,nj,this season caramera and malbec are on the menu for me,i've done a lot of this countries fresh juice,also this season our wine club is doing a clillean sharaza fresh grape crush,first time with raw product for me,,,have you used this product before?,,,can tell you a good bit about it if you want?

That's right for you folks that haven't checked e-mails yet or noticed the addition to the onlune store yet. George is offering the Mosti Chilean Fresh Juice. Place your orders by April 7. Very good offering this year. If you haven't read it yet, here it is.

Mosti Mondiale has announced its line of fresh juice from Chile. As with last year the varietals being offered consist of the following:
<UL>
<LI>Cabernet Sauvignon
<LI>Carmenere
<LI>Merlot
<LI>Sauvingnon Blanc
<LI>Chardonnay
<LI>Chardonnay/Semillon</LI>[/list]

You can order them online for shipping (see below for more information) or pick them up at the store. These juices make excellent wines, but will need at least a year to age. If you choose, you can also induce a maloactic fermenation to soften the acids for a smoother wine. We made 4 of these last year and they were a huge hit at the August bottling party with the Merlot being the favorite.

Last fall, we offered the Northern Hemisphere juices for shipping frozen as a test. We encountered several issues during this test and feel certain we have solved them all. The issues and resolutions are detailed below:

1. <LI>Freezing the Juice - We were concerned that the yeast would be killed during the freezing process, but that did not happen. The yeast survived and the fermentations completed normally. Theissue we did experience was that the buckets were not large enough to allow room for expansion. Consequently, we lost on average 1 gallon of juice per bucket during the freezing process which created quite a nice little mess. Mosti has solved this issue by finding a larger bucket. The new bucket is 26 liters and has been testing by Mosti. The juice was successfully frozen to -25 degrees celsius (-10 degrees fahrenheit) with no leaking. Based on this test, Mosti will freeze the juice in Montreal and ship it to me on a freezer truck. We have scheduled the delivery for April 28 and will be ready to start shipping immediately. Obviously, we will concentrate our first shipments to those customers fartherest away. We fully expect that every bucket delivered on schedule and undamaged by FedEx will show up without any leakage.
    <LI>
    Juice Already Fermenting - The juice was supposed to show up at our store at 28 degrees. When it arrived, all of the buckets were 44 degrees which was warm enough for fermentation to start in some of the buckets. Having the juice arrive frozen will solve this issue.
    <LI>
    Flowers of Wine (mycoderma) -This is aclass of bacteria that converts ethyl alcohol into acetic acidandethyl acetateand spoils wine with a vinegary flavor and odor. Wine affected by mycoderma is sometimes referred to as pique. With the fresh juices, this was caused by insufficient SO2 during bulk aging. As it turns out, Mosti expected everyone to induce a maloactic fermenation which will not start in the presence of high SO2. As a result, their instructions do not tell you to add more sulfites if you choose to not malo your wine. The solution for this is very simple, if you do not plan to induce a maloactic fermentation, add 1/2 tsp. of potassium metabisulfite when the fermentation is complete. (More on this topic in a future newsletter.)
    <LI>
    Instructions and Additives - Since almost everyone that purchase a fresh juice last year was a wine kit customer, their experience with fresh fruit was minimal and the instructions were not written in a manner that made them easy to understand for many customers. In addition, the fresh juices only come with oak. Any other additives are up to the wine maker; therefore, we will be providing our detailed instructions and all of the basic additives as listed on the web site.</LI>

I should also point out that we were unable to freeze the juice as cold as we wanted. Consequently, several of the buckets started thawing too fast and started leaking. FedEx (in their infinite wisdom) decided to return them to us. We attempted to make all of the returned juices and several are already bottled. The ones we lost were the ones with the mycoderma. After a lot of research and hard work, Joseph figured out how to get rid of the mycoderma, but not before we lost a few.

Based on the above, we feel confident that we will have the same success delivering your frozen juice as we do with your pasteurized wine kits. Chances are that we will lose 1 or 2 and if that happens, we will give you the option of a refund or replacement with a traditional wine kit of equal value. Obviously, we won't be able to replace a damaged fresh juice with another fresh juice.

These juices are now available for pre-order through April 7, 2008. Since these juices are perishable, your credit card will be charged when you place the order and no refunds will be given after April 7, 2008, except on damaged shipments. Please also note that we do not have the facilities to store this juice for any length of time. As soon as they come in, we will start shipping and will not be in a position to hold any orders. I wish I could hold these juices, but I just can't at the present.
These juices will produce some of the best wine you have ever made, so order now to reserve your Chilean Fresh Juice. Click on the following link to order:

Frozen Juice - Order by April 7, 2008

As always, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to give us a call.Edited by: masta

there still fresh juice right,and there from parts of chillean valley right so weather there in kit format or straight juice,whats the difference,and yes your right i don't read to many emails

Have you made a fresh juice yet? Iam thinking about the Carmenere also. I have a MM masters Gbarolo in the works.. Looking down the road!!

trashy said:
wow - something got screwed up on this thread!

Looks like it was the bottom part of the newsletter than messed up the formatting so I did a quick edit of appleman's post.

Someone needs to get their story straight we were told last year that we were not to induce malo now I have an email that says the buckets were shipped with the expectation that we induce malo. I won't order another Mosti product until I see some consistency I really wanted to induce malo with last yrs order and now I can't because I added the meta I also wasn't to happy to find out that the cheaper all juice comes with raisin pack which the Fresco doesn't. Also the Fresco and AJ are the same price in Canada go figure.

I'm also very interested in the Carmenere. Will George stock the malolactic culture and will it be available to ship with the juice?

And while you're at it, could someone explain how to do malolactic? I am interested, yet uninformed.

I don't want to speak for George or Mosti, but I believe that last year Mosti wanted to be safe in case folks WANTED to do MLF on their own. Since it's fresh pressed juice, it isn't concentrated, pasteurized or otherwise treated. If someone decided they needed to do MLF because of TA readings they got, the k-meta wasn't added before shipment. MLF will not work in the presence of elevated S02. I know my Fresh Juice Amarone didn't need MLF because the TA was fine as is. I think it is Mosti's policy to keep the juice unadultered to keep it as close to fresh pressed as possible. I don't think they are altering their instructions to confuse anyone, but instead help make a better finished product. I believe they already have a great product at a great price.
In answer to Rule G's question about George stocking MLF culture, he carries the liquid MLF culture in season since it is perishable without refrigeration. I would suspect he will carry it when the fresh juice kits come in- just ask him.

Trashy- to do the easiest MLF(malo) if you use the liquid, just make sure you don't add k-meta at the beginning and after secondary fermentation is about done, just pitch the contents of the liquid tube in the carboy at room temperature. A gentle stir or rocking for a few days helps it get going. It should work well with the spring shipment because it needs a bit higher temps than normal fermentation. About 75 degrees or a bit higher will kick it into gear. You will notice very small bubbles forming at the top and when you remove the airlock and put your ear to the neck of the carboy, it will sound like Rice Crispies. It takes 3 weeks to two months to complete. You can check for malic acid remaining with an Accuvin test or paper chromatography test. Once completed, then add the k-meta and k-sorbate. I add 1/2 tsp of k-meta at that point because it has not received any until then or very little.

Good luck everybody. These are a great product and really do make a great wine- they just need some age to come around because they are most true to a real grape must.Edited by: appleman

applemanpretty well covered all of the bases except price.

I have no control over what other retailers charge for products, especially in Canada. I can tell you that my cost is significantly more for the fresh juice than the all juice and I am having to pay more to have them put in a larger bucket and frozen.

Edited by: masta

Appleman, I'm not being critical of George as I think he has done his best to keep us informed. But I don't understand why Mosti insisted that malo shouldn't be undertaken. I specifically asked this question last year. As far as price I have no problem with George and his company but I do think that Mosti should price their product so that as you pay more you get a raisin pack like CC with their grape packs. I'm disappointed because I feel my wine is going to have less body than a AJ product that cost much less. I'll probalby go with CC unless I see a product line change and consistency by Mosti.

I am going to go with a red (Carmenere), and possible a white also, has anyone made the Chardonnay or the Chardonnay/Semillon. Both look good

trashytype inred wine production technology something you should know before doing mlf, also most fresh just mfg. are prebalanced so you don't have to do much,and mlf is best done in oak as appossed to plastic or glass,read the site,i do all fresh juice and have done all different wine juices available to this country ,in fresh juice form or format in style,think kit and continue process,if you get my meaningEdited by: joeswine

I really enjoyed this months newsletter on bulk aging.. If it is worthy it would be nice to learn more about Maloactic Fermentation, and if possible how to properly do it with the fresh juice kits coming soon.

Sorry about the above link copy and past to web browser. This is over my head but informative

Latest posts

Back