Cheap effective degassing vacuum?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brake bleeder or VacuVin is definitely the cheapest, but it is A LOT of work (and very tiring unless you're a Marine :) ) We have a vacuum bottle filler that we use to degas as well. I have a brake bleeder also that I'll put on afterwards and hold a vacuum overnight (and it has a gauge so I can confirm it's degassed).

It's really interesting how peoples experiences differ. We're in S. Florida so temps of our wines are always high, but we've spent years trying to figure out how to properly degas our wines. I'd let them site for almost a year and still it would be gassy. I'd degas (by agitation) and let it site for many many months and still it would be gassy. The vacuum is the only thing that has worked for us. I think it may be the high atmospheric pressure at sea level. That's the only thing I can think of.

Good luck with your choice!

The brake bleeder or VacuVin is definitely the cheapest, but it is A LOT of work (and very tiring unless you're a Marine :) ) We have a vacuum bottle filler that we use to degas as well. I have a brake bleeder also that I'll put on afterwards and hold a vacuum overnight (and it has a gauge so I can confirm it's degassed).
Good luck with your choice!

Hey, I resemble that remark! ;)

I find that I can lessen the amount of hand pumping required to degas but this involves an extra rack into a bucket vs a carboy for stirring. Also, believe that sheet racking helps a bit in degassing. With all the AIO testimonials that have been posted it seems to me like vacuum racking is the most efficient method.

Here is the routine I have developed. (This is only practicable with a power vacuum pump; it would take massive amounts of work with a brake bleeder.)

Make sure the wine temperature is in the 70s. Rack half of it into a carboy. Pull a vacuum. Rock/shake/slosh the wine around in the carboy. Repeat a few times. At this point, it will keep foaming for as long as you keep shaking, but no more gas is being evolved. (I monitor the gas coming out of the pump.) Now, repeat on the other half-full carboy. The wine is well-degassed at this point.

Sour grapes makes a good point...the biggest difference I see in electrically powered vacuum or hand powered is an electric pump is constant. When you pull a vacuum on the saturated wine, gas is pulled out of the liquid and diminishes or eliminates the vacuum. With a had pump you have to keep applying it but an electrical pump it just keeps pulling that vacuum. Much quicker.

Actually, although true, that wasn't exactly my point. The new element that I was introducing in my "scheme" outlined above was the half-full carboy. Having the carboy half full means that there is room to shake and slosh the liquid. (Think of shaking a half-full soda or beer can.) Very effective.

However, starting with a half-full carboy means there is 3 gallons of air in the carboy. All of that air must be eliminated before the sloshing is to commence. It takes a fair amount of time with an electric pump -- I couldn't imagine doing it with a brake bleeder.

I did the same experiment as noted above. It works well - I used marbles while under vacuum and realized all the co2 being released. That is a very similar set up as splash racking under vacuum - except you don't have to lift the carboy and the degassing is done while you are doing normal transfer - saving you time.
I believe that splash racking under vacuum is the easiest and the most effective way to remove co2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Wine Making mobile app

Last edited:
I use that "falling film vacuum begassing device" thing, which works wonders. I after a couple of rackings, the gas is all gone. No extra work required. I love it!

I also use a falling film degassing-while-racking method. However, empirically, it does not fully degas my wine. I still get lots more out using the method I described above.

Well figuring in my normal wage versus time it would take ME to build something like the AIO. I can say it's cheaper for me to buy it. Besides Steve is a great guy to deal with and customer service is a big factor in any purchase.

So it's about $175 to build something but if he bought the AIO it definitely would be better than anything YOU could make.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1394250664.980355.jpg

Last edited:
Well, yea. What I could make. But of course I don't have time to research and build everything I need. Id rather buy it and spend my time making money. Or wine if I don't have a job lined up. :D

There is something called pride and accomplishment to build it your self, it has a value that is priceless.

If you really want ot go cheap, you can get a 12 volt inflation pump (Harbor freight for about 8 bucks, gue a barbed 1/4 inch fitting over the intake hole and that creates a good vacuum. Google harbor freight 12 pump winemakingtalk and you may find it.

Does it include the bottling and release valve?

What mind of warranty do you have?
any instruction manual?

2 Hole stopper bung,?

Just a couple of questions on the one you posted:

I use a Mityvac MV8020 Vacuum Brake Bleeding kit with a tapered, drilled silicone bung. I pull about 20 inches vacuum on my 6 gallon glass carboys and it degasses the wine gently and quickly. You can find the same tool for about $40 any place.

Does it include the bottling and release valve?

What mind of warranty do you have?
any instruction manual?

2 Hole stopper bung,?

Just a couple of questions on the one you posted:

That's three questions..;-)

The pump has a manufacturing warranty. No manual needed, since I built the system. No two hole bung needed since I either drilled my own or use a blow off stopper (they work great).

One thing it doesn't come with is a kick back for being mentioned in posts regarding vacuum pumps- ;-)

Look, I'm sure that the AIO is a great device and Steve is responsive to customer needs...Im even cool when posts morph from discussions on vacuum to advertisements, but trying to convince people it's hard/impossible is a little silly and somewhat ironic. Like belonging to a board that is all about DIY wine but not DIY with other aspects. Like complaining about foreign policy with China and shopping at Walmart. Like....sorry. Off the soapbox.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1394286373.982631.jpg

That's three questions..;-)

The pump has a manufacturing warranty. No manual needed, since I built the system. No two hole bung needed since I either drilled my own or use a blow off stopper (they work great).

One thing it doesn't come with is a kick back for being mentioned in posts regarding vacuum pumps- ;-)

Look, I'm sure that the AIO is a great device and Steve is responsive to customer needs...Im even cool when posts morph from discussions on vacuum to advertisements, but trying to convince people it's hard/impossible is a little silly and somewhat ironic. Like belonging to a board that is all about DIY wine but not DIY with other aspects. Like complaining about foreign policy with China and shopping at Walmart. Like....sorry. Off the soapbox.

View attachment 14299

I wish I were as handy as you. I'm still looking into options as I can't convince my wife that a $200 all in one is a required investment...

Do you have any guides or information on what is needed and how to rug it all up?

Well, I'm not trying to advertise the AIO, just trying to answer a question asked. And I'm not as handy as you either. You look like you've built a nice machine but some people can't do something like that.

I like the all in one, it works great and it's compact enough to store out of my way.

turkeylipz
That is a nice set-up you made -
I am all about DIY if done properly (safety precautions in place)
Being a mechanic by trade - I am very handy and can fabricate most anything - I respect you for wanting to do it yourself.

I sell attachments for those who have built there own vacuum pumps or bought them -
like the bottling set-up with vacuum release valve - degassing cane w/bung

Just last night I went to my brothers house and we racked,cleaned,sanitized and bottled over 200 bottles in a couple of hours.

Latest posts

Back