Vac degassing is the way to go.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crabjoe

Reaction score
I'm trying to clear my SP as much as possible so I degassed with a wand on a drill. I thought it was good.

The other day, I added Sparkolloid.. it cleared pretty good after 2 days, but there was a slight haze.. I also read that if there was any gas in the wine, it might make it harder to clear..

Now comes the vacuum pump.. so I've got an HVAC pump... after speaking with a member here, I rigged it up ... I tested it last week and it worked well.. I went ahead and decided to do what would happen on a wine that was already degassed with a drill attached wand.

Look at this..

Did you degas with the vacuum pump until there were no more bubbles ?

Last edited:
Do you degas until there's no more bubbles ?

Yes, when I degassed with the wand and drill, I had degassed till I didn't see any more bubbles. That was like a week ago before I added the Sparkolloid. Since adding it, the SP cleared pretty quick, like 2 days, but there's like this slight haze that won't go away, so I went ahead with the vac pump.. and dang, it pulls even more CO2. But it seems like it's endless becasue I don't have much head space and I didn't want to crank her up.

I did stop the vac pump after about an hour, but it was still pulling gas, though at a lower rate. Made me think that it was evaporating the alcohol out of it.

Did you degas with the vacuum pump until there were no more bubbles ?
No. I had it under vacuum for an hour and there was still bubbles coming up. It felt like I was gasifying the alcohol.

Try splash racking under vacuum. It's a game changer.

ok... I understand it's under vacuum, but what are the odds of possibly oxygenating the wine?

If there's no chance, I might give it a try tonight to rack it off the sediment.

ok... I understand it's under vacuum, but what are the odds of possibly oxygenating the wine?

If there's no chance, I might give it a try tonight to rack it off the sediment.

oxygenate = good
oxidize = bad
But if you still pulling co2 then chances are slim to none you’ll hurt it.

For what it’s worth I racked a wine last night that is 1.5yrs old, and has always been vacuum splash racked. And wouldn’t ya know- a nice 3/4” cap of co2 fizz formed under vacuum. Just to say don’t stress getting every last bit of co2 manually. It’s an uphill battle. And not necessarily a bad thing at all.
But when using the best trick of the trade - TIME- all these things like co2 and clearing tend to take care of themselves.

No. When you start the vacuum, you’ll get millions of tiny, foamy bubbles, and may need to switch the pump on and off to avoid sucking up foam. Once the tiny bubbles give way to the larger bubbles, run 20 - 30 more seconds and you’re done.

Ok, now that makes sense. Because I felt like I the pump was now extracting the alcohol as a gas..

Been vacuum degassing nearly my entire winemaking career, it's the only way to go............

@Johnd, What kind of equipment/system do you use to degass? I have been degassing manually (drill and wand) which is sufficient for my whites and fruit wines. But reds ... well that's another story. Ready to give vacuum degassing a try. Thanks for any advice. Mark

I've got mine outfitted with a vacuum pressure valve to monitor the vacuum, and a reservoir between the pump and the carboy to catch any foam that gets sucked up into the lines. Works like a dream.........

Very helpful!
"I've got mine outfitted with a vacuum pressure valve to monitor the vacuum," What pressures do you watch for?

Very helpful!
"I've got mine outfitted with a vacuum pressure valve to monitor the vacuum," What pressures do you watch for?

I don't really worry about limiting the pressure based upon the readings, more upon the action of the wine. When you first click your pump on a wine that hasn't been degassed at all, CO2 comes flying out of the wine and makes a lot of foam, it gets clicked off before it starts sucking foam out of the carboy, then the foam subsides. That action is repeated in succession until the CO2 is removed the point where the pump can run continuously and the little bubbles give way to the big bubbles, no foam is present, and that's when it's done. At the ending stage, the reading is approaching 29 inHg..........that normally only takes a few minutes.

I happen to have HVAC gauges and they are useful in limiting the initial vacuum to control foaming. I probably wouldn't buy them for this if I didn't have them though.

I don't really worry about limiting the pressure based upon the readings, more upon the action of the wine. When you first click your pump on a wine that hasn't been degassed at all, CO2 comes flying out of the wine and makes a lot of foam, it gets clicked off before it starts sucking foam out of the carboy, then the foam subsides. That action is repeated in succession until the CO2 is removed the point where the pump can run continuously and the little bubbles give way to the big bubbles, no foam is present, and that's when it's done. At the ending stage, the reading is approaching 29 inHg..........that normally only takes a few minutes.

Thanks ... very helpful! Mark

Back