Vac degassing is the way to go.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is interesting. After learning the hard way the first time , ( sucking wine into my vacuum pump ) I now leave a large head space and don't have any issues with foam or liquid going into the pump. I also don't have any gauges on the system.

The only thing I'm going to do eventually is put a relief valve in line to relieve the pressure when I'm finished. When I break the seal from the stopper when finished the wine does have a violent reaction unless I can do it gently.

This is interesting. After learning the hard way the first time , ( sucking wine into my vacuum pump ) I now leave a large head space and don't have any issues with foam or liquid going into the pump. I also don't have any gauges on the system.

The only thing I'm going to do eventually is put a relief valve in line to relieve the pressure when I'm finished. When I break the seal from the stopper when finished the wine does have a violent reaction unless I can do it gently.

You already have a built in relief valve on your pump. Use the second port like a relief valve, just slowly loosen the cap and it will allow air back into the system slowly. I use that second cap when I start vacuum degassing a fresh wine to regulate the vacuum pressure down, which keeps the CO2 from coming out too quickly, it reduces the foam issue.

You already have a built in relief valve on your pump. Use the second port like a relief valve, just slowly loosen the cap and it will allow air back into the system slowly. I use that second cap when I start vacuum degassing a fresh wine to regulate the vacuum pressure down, which keeps the CO2 from coming out too quickly, it reduces the foam issue.

Thank you so much John. I can't believe I didn't think of that. I also like the tip on regulating the pressure at the start. Two great tips that will make life a lot easier from now on.

If you use hvac guages, there is a vac. guage you can purchase that just screws into one of the guage ports. Johnstone supply carries them as well as a bunch of other places, most likely. Arne.

After Wine Maker conference this year I switched my mind set to a reductive atmosphere (ie CO2) acts to protect the wine, yes it is good to pull enough to clean the carbonic notes off the flavor but having some is beneficial.
oxidize = bad . . . . . Just to say don’t stress getting every last bit of co2 manually. It’s an uphill battle. And not necessarily a bad thing at all.. . . the best trick of the trade - TIME.

There are several $20, 12 volt vacuum pumps on Amazon. You have the choice of going high volume or low liters per minute. Mine was off the shelf at American Scientific in town.
Most of my racking is at 5 inches Hg vacuum. When I do vacuum corking I run it up to 20 inches. For me most applications do not take a high volume pump. Yes as noted by johnd a trap is important, hate to say it but in the learning days I pulled foam into the pump.
@Johnd, What kind of equipment/system do you use to degass?[/,QUOTE]

Back