Chardonnay - oaked

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
This is one wine I really don't get. I'm sure lots of people like them, but not me! To me it's like drinking soapy water!

(zips up fire proof suit :))

Jim, I'm with you on this one. I'm not a fan of Chardonnay, however I do like to use it for blending. If I can pick up a cheap pail like the Chilean or California this is a great wine for blending with my crabapple or any other fruit forward wine with a bit of acid.

Well, I am not with the two of you. Chardonnay is one of my favorites

I made a Vintners Reserve kit and everyone that tried it said it was better than most commercial ones.

No additions to the kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Have you ever tried it without adding oak? I don't like an oaked Chardonnay but an unoaked is pretty tasty.

Have you ever tried it without adding oak? I don't like an oaked Chardonnay but an unoaked is pretty tasty.

Oh yeah, and I'm good with Chardonnays... especially the fruity blended ones. I enjoy a barely off-dry Chardonnay as a summer time refresher.

I read an article about Chardonnay a few years back. It was never intended to be an oaked wine. It was originally being promoted for it's natural oak flavor but I believe it was someone in California who oaked it and it just took off like a wildfire from there.

I keep a rack of chardonnay full in the winery. Love it oaked, "naked" MLF'd……

I have made the CC Showcase Yakima Valley Chard with Acacia wood. (Exceptional)
The RJS EP Australian Chardonnay with oak (Excellent)
Starting the WE Eclipse Sonoma Valley Chardonnay today. Going to swap out the EC1118 yeast and go with BA11 instead. After it has cleared I will split into two 3 gallon Carboys and add some light toast Hungarian Oak beans to one of the carboys so we can have the best of both worlds.

The quality of the grape is so very important in making a good Chard. Back in the 90's we got a bucket from Calif that was SO delightful. We did not MLF it--and it was just the BEST fruit style Chard EVER. Then a couple years ago, we got a Chard bucket from Chile--might as well have been a bucket of water. Last year we got bucket from Calif--somewhat better than that from Chile, but no where NEAR what we got in the 90's.

I love Chard in all its forms--I think to make a great one, you might have to get the grapes, instead of juice.

I love a Chardonnay as well. But a lot of the CA wines IMO tend to over oak them.

I love to make Chardonel from MO - blend of Chardonnay and Seyval - a real nice wine - has great fruity characteristics.

I tasted some real nice Chardonnay's from Argentina.. Just a hint of oak...

You might like Viogner. I've had one or two that are more like Chardonnay than Chardonnay, typically not oaked. We're just about to bottle our first WE Viogner it's non oaked, Chard-like with lots of citrus. Yum.

Disclaimer: My name is Bill and I'm addicted to Chardonnay.

Coincidentally I ordered 2 Shiraz Voignier kits :) Not exactly white, I know

I already know the outcome of my experiment (I am sure)……

"These wines are all so good"! LOL

hero_EB20080804REVIEWS627245841AR.jpg

I me a lot of chardonnay and find that the wine is very tanic. It starts to develop into a rather nice wine after 3 or 4 years of ageing. I made one experiment of barrel ageing a chardonnay and, although the oak flavor was a bit pronounced, the softness I achieved in the barrel was simply amazing. Viva La Micro Oxidation!!!!!!

I made an Australian oaked Chardonnay from WineKitz - did not like the oak flavour. I made an unoak NZ chardonnay from RJS it was very good.

I
I love to make Chardonel from MO - blend of Chardonnay and Seyval - a real nice wine - has great fruity characteristics.

Had a bottle of this from Kansas City this fall. Very good flavor and unique.

Latest posts

Back