Champlain Valley - Grapemans' vineyard - Planting to small winery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear about budburst up there. Seems like a long winter to me. Glad it's over.
Every old farmer I talk to beleives it's going to bedry this summer becuase of the super wet spring.

Here is something different to report on from the vineyard. A lot of you guys know of or use Double A Vineyards as a vine supplier. They have a great selection of varieties and great customer service. One of the varieties I grow, St. Pepin, had no photo for it in their catalog or online. In one of my e-mails to Dennis Rak, I mentioned the sucess I have with St. Pepin here in the Champlain Valley and noted he didn't have a picture of it. I asked if he would like one and he said yes. I sent a few to him to choose from. He has recently upgraded the website and he incorporated the picture he selected in the website. Here is a link to it. I just love the bloom and color these grapes get to them. You guys may have even seen this photo in one of my posts last fall. Anyways here is a link to it in the website:
http://www.doubleavineyards.com/p-795-st-pepin-seibel-1000-or-es-282.aspx

Thats pretty neat appleman. Must feel good to see one of your own pics in a web site and to be a pic of your grapes
smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif
VERY NICE

runningwolf said:
Rich very cool looking. They look very tasty. Are they as tasty to eat as they are for making wine?

They are extremely tasty Dan- one of the best flavored grapes you will find. If they were seedless they would make it as a super table grape also. The most dominant flavor is an intense apricot.

The St Pepin vines are strange. With them they seem to be like a shagbark hickory. The bark gets loose and falls off. The couple pictures there with all the loose bark are the St. Pepin - they would look dead if they didn't have nice green shoots.

Dan the Flood Watch is still ongoing and since we are expecting another week of rain on and off, who knows when it will end. It is a good thing I am on higher ground because the water is still everywhere. It is challenging to mow. You raise the deck up as the lawnmower submerges and when it gets 6 inches deep shut the blade off or it will try to stall out the Deere.

Looking good there Rich, I hear you with the rain. It rained here for 7 days now. It wasnt serious flooding like you over there but we did have some flooding and I just need some sunlight before I freak out.

Looks great Rich. Looks like buds are in good shape, don't seeany cordon sections with dead areas,so the vinescame through the winter pretty well. Beautiful.

Latest posts

Back